Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Encyclopedia Homepage
Search all Volumes
Disclaimer and Usage
Copyright 2007

Table of Contents Search All Entries Home

STURM'S OKLAHOMA MAGAZINE

First published in September 1905 in Tulsa, Indian Territory, Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine was originally known as Sturm's Statehood Magazine. Established and edited by Missouri journalist O. P. (Oliver Perry) Sturm, the monthly publication was moved to Oklahoma City in October 1906 when it had an estimated circulation of ten thousand. The general magazine covered items of national interest as well as local topics. It featured an "Indian Department," offering Indian history and literature and edited by Ora Eddleman Reed, of Cherokee descent. Early issues included a "Home Building Department" that presented house plans and pictures of stylish homes in Indian Territory. Sturm wanted his magazine to appeal to a broad audience, one that would include both rural and urban residents. He interspersed women's fashions and a children's section called "Wonderworld" to expand his readership. His publication also provided a forum for local writers, who submitted fiction and nonfiction. Like its contemporaries, Twin Territories: The Indian Magazine and McMaster's Oklahoma Magazine, Sturm's published promotional articles on Oklahoma's early towns and natural resources. Before the publication's demise due to financial reasons in May 1911, it successfully served as an early publicity organ promoting Oklahoma.

SEE ALSO: McMASTER'S OKLAHOMA MAGAZINE, PRINTING AND PUBLISHING INDUSTRY, ORA EDDLEMAN REED.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 29 April 1906. Carolyn Thomas Foreman, Oklahoma Imprints, 1835-1907: A History of Printing in Oklahoma Before Statehood (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1936). Bobby Harold Johnson, "Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine, 1905-1911: A History of a Booster Publication" (M.A. thesis, University of Oklahoma, 1962). Esther Witcher, "Territorial Magazines," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 29 (Winter 1951 52).

Linda D. Wilson

© Oklahoma Historical Society

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site