Located in Cleveland County, Slaughterville lies on State Highway 77, eight miles south of Noble. The name honors Jim Slaughter, who operated an area store. The Land Run of 1889 opened the region to its first general settlement. Before then the present townsite was in the Unassigned Lands. In 1889 settlers erected the first of three buildings, which housed the Shiloh Methodist Church, one-half mile north of present Slaughterville. Through most of the twentieth century the town existed as a dispersed rural district, with a service station/dry goods store on U.S. Highway 77 serving farmers and ranchers. The curve of the highway at Slaughterville had a reputation as hazardous, and in 1937 an editorial in the Daily Oklahoman urged that the curve be straightened.
In 1970 the crossroads town incorporated to stave off perceived annexation threats from Norman, Noble, and Lexington. Soon, a fire department organized. The original city limits, approximately twenty-seven square miles in the 1970s, decreased in 1985, when the town's trustees deannexed nearly 40 percent of the land. There were 1,953 residents in 1980 and 1,843 in 1990. In 2000 the population stood at 3,609, and the town area had increased to 38.108 square miles. A majority of the residents commuted to larger towns to work. The children attended school at Lexington or Noble.
SEE ALSO: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: "Slaughterville," Vertical Files, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City. Bonnie Speer, Cleveland County: Pride of the Promised Land, An Illustrated History (Norman, Okla.: Traditional Publishers, 1988). John Womack, Cleveland County, Oklahoma: Historical Highlights (Noble, Okla.: Privately printed, 1983).
© Oklahoma Historical Society