Located in Sequoyah County's northwestern corner, Paradise Hill is situated on the shores of Tenkiller Ferry Lake. State Highway 10A runs through a portion of the town. Paradise Hill originated in 1954 as a residential development offering tracts of land near the lake. By 1962 there were forty-seven permanent homes, and the community had incorporated and owned its own water system. In 1969 the town more than doubled its size by annexing surrounding property. The 1970 population stood at 87, climbing to 154 by 1980. At the beginning of the twenty-first century the Oklahoma Water Resource Board issued a Rural Economic Action Plan (REAP) grant of $138,500 to Sequoyah County to update the lakeside community's water system. In 2000 the U.S. Census reported a population of 100.
SEE ALSO: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 3 May 1962. Sequoyah County Times (Sallisaw, Oklahoma), 29 May and 19 June 1969.
© Oklahoma Historical Society