Named after Oklahoma Governor William "Alfalfa Bill" Murray, Lake Murray State Park is located south of Ardmore and straddles the Love and Carter county line. The state park comprises a 12,496 acre recreational area and a 5,728 acre man-made lake created by the damming of the Fourche Maline and Anadarche creeks. On April 10, 1933, the state legislature appropriated ninety thousand dollars to purchase the property that comprised the park.
Constructed during the era of Pres. Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal, Lake Murray State Park was created by the National Park Service and built by several New Deal agencies, including the Works Progress Administration. The solons envisioned the park as a relatively cheap recreational environment for the citizens of Oklahoma. Two main group
camps were created, along with a "Negro" camp. Lake Murray State Park became the only state park built by the National Park
Service to provide permanent camping facilities for African American youth.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: BIBLIOGRAPHY: "Lake Murray State Park," National Register File, State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Shawnee (Oklahoma) Star, 27 October 2001.
© Oklahoma Historical Society