Located in north-central Pottawatomie County, Johnson is situated one mile north of Interstate 40 on County Roads E1110/N3460. The area was opened to non-Indian settlers during the Sac and Fox land opening on September 22, 1891. It has remained sparsely populated through the years. In 1982 residents decided to incorporate to stop Shawnee's plans to establish a landfill near the Johnson community. On May 11, 1982, citizens voted 77 to 40 in favor of incorporation. Johnson, with an area of 3.947 square miles, had a population of 196 in 1990 and 223 in 2000. Ninety-nine percent of those employed commuted to Shawnee, Tecumseh, Oklahoma City, and Seminole.
SEE ALSO: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003). Shawnee (Oklahoma) News-Star, 12 May 1982.
Linda D. Wilson
© Oklahoma Historical Society