Located in the upper southwestern part of Comanche County, Indahoma is presently sited south of U.S. Highway 62; however, prior to the 1960s the highway crossed through the community. Situated off the southwestern corner of the Fort Sill Military Reservation, Indiahoma is straight west of Lawton about twenty-four miles. The Indiahoma post office was established in April 1902, with the town incorporating in July of the following year.
Shortly after the 1901 land lottery the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway (Frisco) completed a line between Lawton and Snyder via Indiahoma. This was critical to the emergence of Indiahoma's primary economic concern, cotton. By 1911 the town supported two cotton gins, three grocery stores, a concrete block manufacturer, in addition to a variety of other smaller commercial enterprises. While the 1930s brought a decline in cotton farming, the residents successfully fought for the construction of U.S. Highway 62 through their community. In 1956 Fort Sill expanded its artillery target range, further diminishing Indiahoma's economic base. During the 1960s the railroad pulled out of the community, and new construction on U.S. 62 resulted in the bypassing of Indiahoma. In the late 1970s the town included a grain elevator, a lumberyard, a meat processing plant, and a limited number of businesses. At that time, the community participated in an economic redevelopment program that resulted in almost $3million being invested in the community.
The first federal census to include Indiahoma came in 1910. The town had a population of 188 at that time. It grew slightly, and by 1920 there were 195 persons living in Indiahoma. In 1930 the number of residents rose to 288, and it continued to climb, so that by 1940 the population reached 337. The number dropped to 319 in 1950 before expanding to 378 by 1960. Indiahoma's population peaked in 1970 at 434. The number of citizens declined to 364 in 1980 and fell to 337 in 1990 before increasing again to 374 in 2000.
At the beginning of the twenty-first century, Indiahoma lacked a community newspaper. Early newspapers had included the Indiahoma Champion, published from 1910 until 1912, and the Indiahoman, which ran between 1913 and 1915. The Indiahoma Advocate also published for a short period in the 1910s.
SEE ALSO: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 27 June 1978. The History of Comanche County, Oklahoma (N.p.: Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, 1985).
© Oklahoma Historical Society