HOLY TRINITY GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH (Tulsa)
Tulsa's Greek population derived from the influx of Greeks to America after the turn of the twentieth century. Many of Tulsa's Greeks brought with them the Greek or Eastern Orthodox communion of the Christian faith. These individuals and families incorporated the Eastern Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity on May 20, 1925, and initiated a fund drive to raise money for purchasing property and building a church edifice. Ultimately, they bought three lots at Eleventh and Guthrie, and in May 1927 ground was broken for Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. The first service was held in the new building in March 1928. During World War II the Holy Trinity parish was involved in war work, assisting the American Red Cross and the Community Chest. After the war, in the late 1940s the congregation participated in the Greek War Relief effort during that nation's civil war. In 1968 69 the parish built and moved into a new church at 1222 South Guthrie, and the first services were held there on September 21, 1969. Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church members participated in several support organizations early in the church's history, including the Hellenic Women's Society, Daughters of Penelope, Maids of Athens, Sons of Pericles, and Greek Orthodox Youth of America. Church members also participate in the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, a nationwide group that promotes education about Greek heritage and encourages philanthropy and civic responsibility among Greek Americans. Since the early 1960s the church has annually hosted a Greek Festival to celebrate Hellenic culture in Oklahoma.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Connie Costopoulous and Kathryn Drummond, History of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Tulsa, Oklahoma (Tulsa, Okla.: N.p., 1982). Robert G. Stephanopoulos, The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (N.p.: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, 1983).
© Oklahoma Historical Society