Davis Field is located six miles south of Muskogee and serves that area's general aviation needs. The field's primary runway is 150 feet wide and 7,200 feet long. The other two runways are 75 feet wide and 4,498 feet long and 60 feet wide and 1,900 feet long, respectively. The airport is located at 35°39' North, 95°21' West.
Named in honor of Muskogee native Jack Davis, who was killed in action in the South Pacific during World War II, Davis Field was previously known as the Muskogee Army Airfield. Built in 1941 42 by the War Department, the initial runway was constructed by commandeering a straight stretch of U.S. Highway 64. The facility was leased by the federal government in October 1942 to serve as a Ground Air Support Base to nearby Camp Gruber. It was also used as a combat-crew training site for aerial photographic reconnaissance during World War II. The government lease for wartime use was terminated on August 15, 1947.
The field was leased again by the federal government in December 1956. It served as an Air Force Reserve base until May 3, 1967. It has remained a civilian airfield since that date. The majority of current Davis Field traffic consists of corporate jets and medium and light twin-engine and single-engine aircraft. Military flights make up about 1 percent of local traffic. Davis Field became a popular air show venue during the late twentieth century.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Dianna Everett and Mary Jane Warde, "Survey of World War II Era Defense Facilities in Oklahoma" [Typescript], State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 1993. Muskogee (Oklahoma) Daily Phoenix, 13 July 1941, 16 August 1947, 1 December 1956, 30 March 1967, and 2 May 1967.
© Oklahoma Historical Society