A rural settlement located in far west-central Logan County, Cimarron City takes its name from the nearby Cimarron River, which flows through the town's southwest portion. The Logan County community founded in 1973 is not to be confused with two short-lived Cimarrons established in the newly opened Unassigned Lands region in 1889, one an African American town in Kingfisher County and the other a postal center in Payne County. Cimarron City is located two miles south of Crescent and two miles west of U.S. 74, and ten miles west of Guthrie, the county seat. Some scattered residential property existed in the area as early as the 1960s around Lake Lattawanna, which lies to the north. The area is in the Cimarron River drainage.
In July 1973 the one-thousand-acre Cimarron City was platted and incorporated by developers J. L. Swaim, a former Oklahoma resident residing in Chico, California, and real estate dealer Don McLaughlin, of Oklahoma City. The residential section was designed by Leon Spitz, an Oklahoma City engineer. The community grew very slowly as homes were constructed by families and retirees interested in a rural ambience. Within the town limits is Cedar Cove Lake. The 1980 census reported 35 residents. By 1990 that number had doubled, and a service station and a bar operated there. In 2000 the town's 1.59 square miles had a population of 110. Virtually all of its employed residents, 40 percent of whom were in management or the professions, commuted to jobs in nearby Guthrie, Edmond, Crescent, or Oklahoma City.
SEE ALSO: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: "Cimarron City," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City. Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).
© Oklahoma Historical Society