Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Encyclopedia Homepage
Search all Volumes
Disclaimer and Usage
© Copyright 2003

Table of Contents Search All Entries Home

BOGGY DEPOT

An important town in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, Boggy Depot (sometimes called Old Boggy Depot) was situated between the Clear Boggy and Sandy creeks, fourteen miles southwest of present Atoka in Atoka County. Founded by Chickasaw Indians in 1837, it stood along the Texas Road and a trail that led from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Fort Washita and was a station on the Butterfield Overland Mail route. Boggy Depot's post office opened in 1849, and the local newspaper was the Choctaw and Chickasaw Observer.

Old military trail which formed a portion of the post road and main street in Boggy Depot

Boggy Depot was the location of the first Chickasaw agency in the West and served as the capital of the Choctaw Nation from 1858 to 1860. During the Civil War it housed the principal Confederate supply depot in Indian Territory. After the war a flour mill and a cotton gin operated northeast of town, and a salt works was established along nearby Salt Creek.

The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway bypassed Boggy Depot in 1872, prompting businessmen and residents to relocate to Atoka. Others moved two miles south and founded New Boggy Depot (present Boggy Depot). Nothing remains of Old Boggy Depot except its cemetery, where Choctaw chief Allen Wright and Rev. Cyrus Kingsbury are buried. The townsite, presently located in Boggy Depot State Park, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 72001050).

SEE ALSO: BUTTERFIELD OVERLAND MAIL, CIVIL WAR ERA, TEXAS ROAD.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: "Boggy Depot," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City. John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1977). Muriel H. Wright, "Old Boggy Depot," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 5 (March 1927). Muriel H. Wright and LeRoy H. Fischer, "Civil War Sites in Oklahoma," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 44 (Summer 1966).

Jon D. May

© Oklahoma Historical Society

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site