John R. Boardman (1866-1940) moved to Oklahoma City from Kansas in 1908 and purchased the Wylie Company, which he renamed
the Boardman Company in 1910. At first the company was advertised as manufacturing metal tanks, cisterns, grain bins, and
galvanized roofing. Within a few years it was heavily involved in structural steel and bridge building. By 1920 Boardman was
supplying concrete-making equipment, hoisting engines, and a variety of other products to road building contractors throughout
the Midwest and the Southwest. The original plant, located at Maple and Hawk streets in Oklahoma City, was relocated to 1401-1409
Southwest Eleventh Street just prior to Boardman's death on June 3, 1940.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 4 June 1940, 22 September 1940, and 21 September 1941. Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1911 12 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1911). Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1918).
© Oklahoma Historical Society