Edited by James W. Moffitt
Our readers will be interested in the following articles: Texas Collection, by Walter Prescott Webb, The Southwestern Historical Quarterly (April, 1942); A Comanche Prisoner in 1841, by Colonel Wilson T. Davidson, ibid.; Texas County Histories, concluded, by H. Bailey Carroll, ibid.; Some Aspects of Early Indian Fur Trade, by Isabel S. Dolch, Missouri Historical Review (January, 1942); First Newspapers in Kansas Counties, 1879-1886, concluded, by G. Raymond Gaeddert, Kansas Historical Quarterly (November, 1941); An Introduction to the History of the Bluestem-Pasture Region of Kansas: a Study in Adaptation to Geographical Environment, ibid. (February, 1942); The Letters of Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky, 1831-1836, continued, edited by James A. Padgett, Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society (January, 1942); Pittsburgh and the Beginnings of the Petroleum Industry to 1866, by Paul H. Giddens, Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine (September, 1941); The Relation of the Ohio River and Its Valleys to the Discovery of the Mississippi by De Soto, by Samuel M. Wilson, Filson Club Historical Quarterly (January, 1942); Chickasaw and Earlier Indian Cultures of Northeast Mississippi, by Jesse D. Jennings, Journal of Mississippi History (July, 1941); Place Names in Colorado, by Mrs. A. M. Morrison, Colorado Magazine (January, 1942); The Iowa Sawmill Industry, by George H. Hartman, Annals of Iowa (October, 1941); Pioneer Bookshelves and Modern Libraries, by Theodore C. Blegen, Minnesota History (December, 1941); Antoine Leroux, New Mexico Guide, by Grant Foreman, New Mexico Historical Review (October, 1941); New Mexico's Fight for Statehood, Part V, by Marion Dargan, ibid.; The Coronado-Bocanegra Family Alliance, by Lansing Bloom, ibid.; Clio and Her Cousins: Some Reflections upon the Place of History among the Social Sciences, by William B. Munro, Pacific Historical Review (December, 1941); American Sectionalism and World Organization, by Frederick Jackson Turner, edited by William Diamond, The American Historical Review (April, 1942); Research Projects on Florida Subjects, by Watt Marchman, The Florida Historical Quarterly (April, 1942); Indians and French of the Inland Empire, by W. Freeman Galpin, Americana (1941, no. 4); Colonial Churches of Warwick and Elizabeth City Counties, by George Carrington Mason, William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine (October, 1941); The Westward Migration of a Planter Pioneer in 1796, by Bayrd Still, ibid.; Life in the Republic of Texas, by Eugene C. Barker, Proceedings of the Philosophical Society of Texas (1941).
A National Archives Trust Fund Board, with authority to accept and administer gifts or bequests of money, securities, and other personal property "for the benefit of or in connection with The
National Archives, its collections, or its services" was established by an act of Congress approved July 9, 1941. The Board consists of the Archivist of the United States, as Chairman, and the chairmen of the Senate and House Library Committees.
The first of the inventories of material in The National Archives to be issued since the initiation of the new finding-mediums program is entitled Preliminary Inventory of the War Industries Board Records (xvii, 134 p.) Other new processed professional documents include bibliographies on the arrangement and description of archival material (7 p.) and on the conservation of cultural resources in times of war (9 p.), and Staff Information Circular No. 11 entitled "The Role of Records in Administration." Copies of any of these documents are available upon request, as long as the supply lasts, and a mailing list for future issues of the Staff Information Circulars is being established.
The National Archives has recently been recognized so that the professional work is planned, coordinated, and reviewed by three new officers: a Director of Records Accessioning and Preservation (Marcus W. Price, formerly Assistant Director of Archival Service); a Director of Research and Records Description (Oliver W. Holmes, formerly Chief of the Division of Interior Department Archives); and a Director of Reference Service (Philip M. Hamer, formerly Chief of the Division of Reference). The positions of Director and Assistant Director of Archival Service and of Director of Research and Publications and the Division of Reference have been discontinued. Dorsey W. Hyde, Jr., formerly Director of Archival Service, has been appointed as Special Assistant to the Archivist; Herbert E. Angel, as Assistant to the Archivist and Acting Chief of a new Division of Information and Publications; Philip C. Brooks, as Assistant Director of Records Accessioning and Preservation; Herman Kahn, as Chief of the Division of Interior Department Archives; and Daniel F. Noll, formerly microfilm consultant on War Department records for the Work Projects Administration, as associate microfilm technologist. Roscoe R. Hill and Arthur E. Young have been lent to the Department of State and Robert H. Bahmer to the Navy Department to assist in dealing with records problems in those agencies. Almon R. Wright is serving as Acting Chief of the Division of State Department Archives in the absence of Dr. Hill. A file of some 250,000 photographic reproductions of views, sketches, portraits, maps, broadsides, posters, and other documents relating to military affairs and other phases of American history has recently been transferred to The National Archives by the Historical Section of the Army War College. Material relating to the first World War, including photographs taken by the Signal Corps and prints obtained from other Government agencies, from private sources, and from the British, French, Belgian, German, and other governments, constitutes over a third of the file. A Handbook of Federal World War
Agencies, 1914-20, which will contain information concerning the organization, activities, and records of about 3,500 units of the Government that participated in defense, wartime, or post-war activities, is being compiled by The National Archives. A List of Federal World War Agencies, 1914-20 (43 p.) has been compiled as a preliminary step in this undertaking, and copies of it may be obtained from the Division of Information and Publications of The National Archives. Reproductions of a letter book of the Creek Trading House, 1795-1816 (1 vol.), confidential and unofficial letters sent by the Office of the Secretary of War, 1814-47 (2 vols.), letters concerning military affairs sent by the same Office, 1830-36 (4 vols.), and letters sent by the Washington Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1867-72 (2 vols.), are recent additions to the file microcopies of The National Archives. Positive prints of these reproductions are available at cost to interested institutions and individuals.
Papers recently transferred to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library by the President include letters, memoirs, and diaries of various officers of the United States Navy, 1775-1898; Mr. Roosevelt's diplomas and certificates of membership in various organizations, 1905-41; copies of letters, reports, and memoranda received by the Office of the Secretary of the Navy from naval units and bureaus, 1913-20; and copies of the official stenographic reports of the President's press conferences, January-June 1941. Material recently acquired relating to the history of Dutchess County, N. Y., includes correspondence and other papers of the DePeyster family, 1697-1865, and diaries, notebooks, and bird-banding records kept by Maunsell S. Crosby of Rhinebeck, N. Y., 1909-31. The Second Annual Report of the Archivist of the United States as to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library (19 p.), just published, describes the activities of the Library during the fiscal year 1940-41 and includes a descriptive list of material deposited in the Library by the President or acquired by it from other sources to June 30, 1941. Copies of the Report may be obtained from the Division of Information and Publications of The National Archives, Washington, D. C.
The board of trustees of Washington and Lee University has recently established the Robert E. Lee Archives as a division of the new Cyrus Hall McCormick Library. It is proposed to make the school which Washington endowed and to which Lee gave the last five years of his life a national repository of source material concerning the entire life of Robert E. Lee. Washington and Lee already owns four thousand manuscript items concerning Lee's life, and its collection of Lee books, pamphlets, and pictures is large. The most improved methods of cataloging manuscripts have been adopted. To aid in this work a national advisory committee of prominent scholars and public men is being formed. Dr. W. G. Bean is chairman of the local committee, and Dr. Allen W. Moger of the
history faculty has been made Lee archivist. He will attempt to locate and secure other original manuscripts, photostats, and copies of original Lee items. It is particularly hoped that the numerous admirers of General Lee who possess individual letters to or from him will realize that the Robert E. Lee Archives at Lexington, Virginia, is the appropriate place where they will be preserved for posterity.1
Our readers will welcome the March, 1942, issue of The Arkansas Historical Quarterly which has recently been issued by the newly organized Arkansas Historical Association. This initial number contains the following articles: "The Organization of Arkansas Municipalities," by Henry M. Alexander; "History of the Petroleum Industry in Arkansas," by Gerald Forbes; "Arkansas and Its Early Inhabitants," by Norman W. Caldwell; "Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Arkansas," by Clara B. Eno; "The Kie Oldham Papers," document, edited by Dallas T. Herndon. Inquiries regarding The Arkansas Historical Quarterly should be addressed to Dr. David Y. Thomas, Editor-in-Chief, Fayetteville, or to Dr. Fred H. Harrington, Secretary-Treasurer, Arkansas Historical Association, Fayetteville. Dr. Grant Foreman, Muskogee, Oklahoma, is listed as one of the charter members of this splendid new historical organization in our neighboring sister state.
The Panhandle Plains Historical Review for 1941 brings to light a trans-plains expedition that had been practically lost sight of by historians. On August 9, 1845, Lieutenant J. W. Abert left Bent's Fort on the Arkansas River and on November 12 reached St. Louis. Abert's journal was published in Senate Documents, 29th Congress, 1st Session. It has been edited by H. Bailey Carroll in a most able manner. The editor's introduction whets the desire to know about Abert. A possible explanation of the neglect of Abert's journal is that historians have been in the habit of following expeditions from east to west. Abert went from the west to the east, and so almost marched into oblivion. Some book collector could find himself a niche by collecting American diaries and journals made by people who traveled from west to east. It would be a small collection, a view of the west in reverse. Copies of the Carroll edition of the Abert Journal can be obtained by writing Editor L. F. Sheffy, Canyon, Texas.2
2Walter P. Webb, "Texas Collection," The Southwestern Historical Quarterly (Austin), XLV (1942) , 375-376.
In the current issue of the official journal of the Texas State Historical Association, Dr. H. Bailey Carroll lists the following books and pamphlets dealing with Greer County which will be of interest to both Texans and Oklahomans:
Attorney General's Office (J. S. Hogg), Texas, Greer County, Austin, Sept. 13, 1887. 6pp. 8vo.
Baines, J. W., Biennial Report of the Secretary of State of the State of Texas. Austin, State Printing Office, 1886. 8vo. Documents are individually paged. Contains "Evidence Pertaining to the Boundary between the United States and Texas." (Greer County). 151 pp. and "Argument of J. T. Brackenridge on the Claim of Texas to Greer County," 43 pp.; "Final Argument of United States Commission," 17 pp.; "Proceedings of Joint Commission," 48 pp.
Greer County. Supreme Court of the United States, October term, 1894. No. 4, Original. The United States, complaint, vs. the State of Texas. In equity. Bill filed October 27, 1890. 2 volumes. Washington, Judd and Detweiler, 1894. Single pagination (I, 1-712 pp.; II, 713-1393 pp.), 8 vo.
Greer County Veteran, Confederate and Actual Settler Bill. n. p. (c. 1890). Wraps. 8 pp. 16 mo.
Moore, Webb Leonidus, The Greer County Question. (San Marcos, Press of the San Marcos Record), 1839. 108 pp. 12 mo. Maps.
Petition of Texas Veterans, asking that Greer County be Ceded to the State of Texas. Presented to Congress of United States, n. p., n. d. 7 pp. 8 vo.
Roberts, O. M., Message of Governor: Greer County. Jan. 10, 1883. (Austin), 1883. 8 pp. 8 vo.
Russell, W. H., Report on Boundary Survey. Austin, John Marshall, State Printer, 1861. 16 pp. 8 vo.
Swisher, John M., Greer County: An Address . . . on the Subject of Boundary between the United States and Texas. n. p., n. d. 17 pp. 8 vo.
Swisher, John M., Title of Greer County Investigated . . . with Opinions of Ex-Governor E. M. Pease and Major Wm. M. Walton. Austin, American Sketch Book Publishing House, 1883. 16 pp. 8 vo. Cover-title.
Swisher, John M., "Title of Greer County Investigated," in American Sketch Book, VII, pp. 250-264.
Hartman, Charles Ferdinand, The Greer County Boundary Question. M. A. Thesis, University of Texas, Austin, 1919. iii, 143 pp. 4 vo.3
The President of the Oklahoma State Society of Washington city, Hon. Paul A. Walker, has thoughtfully presented a copy of their Year Book, 1941-1942, to the Oklahoma Historical Society. On page one appears the "Oklahoman's Creed" which contains much food for thought. A careful reading of this "Creed" should bring about an increased and much needed loyalty to the State. It reads as follows:
To love and respect the State of Oklahoma and its people.
Many of our readers will also be interested in the information given in this volume about the emblems of Oklahoma:
The Oklahoma State Motto is a Latin quotation, "Labor Omnia Vincit" which means "Labor Conquers All." This motto was made a part of the Territorial Seal of Oklahoma in 1893 and became a part of the Great Seal of Oklahoma with the adoption of the state constitution in 1907.
The Oklahoma State Colors are Green and White. These colors were adopted by the legislature in 1915 by concurrent resolution of the House and Senate on recommendation of members of the Ohyohoma Circle, composed of wives of members of the Fifth Legislature.
The Oklahoma State Flower is the Mistletoe. It was adopted by the territorial legislature in 1893. Oklahoma has the distinction of having been the first state to officially adopt a state flower.
The Redbud Tree became the official tree of the State of Oklahoma by Senate Joint Resolution No. 5 of the Sixteenth Legislature, approved March 30, 1937.
The official song of the State of Oklahoma is "Oklahoma, A Toast." It was adopted by the Fifteenth Legislature March 26, 1935. This song was composed, both words and music, prior to statehood, by Mrs. Harriet Parker Camden, then a resident of Kingfisher, later of Fair Oaks, California. The words of the song are as follows:
I give you a land of sun and flow'rs,
The Library of the Oklahoma Historical Society received recently the valuable volumes listed below from the New York State Library:
Archives and History Division publications: The American Revolutiovn in New York . . . ; Sullivan-Clinton Campaign in 1779 . . .; New York State Laws Relating to Cemeteries . . . ; Minutes of the Court of Fort Orange and Beverwyck, 1652-1656 . . . 2v.; Minutes of the Court of Albany, Rensselaerswyck and Schenectady . . . 3v.; Correspondence of Jeremias van Rensselaer, 1651-1674 . . . ; Correspondence of Maria van Rensselaer, 1669-1689 . . . ; Bibliography Bulletin 80; Latest State Library Report (Bulletin 1211); Museum Bulletins 235/36 and 237/38.
The collections in the Museum of the Society were enriched recently when Lester Hargrett of Washington City, an active member, presented some weapons which once belonged to Peter Perkins Pitchlynn, Choctaw Indian leader who died in 1881. Pitchlynn, who was educated at the University of Nashville, once owned a large farm in what is now southeastern Oklahoma on the east side of Mountain Fork River at Eagletown.4
4See Peter James Hudson, "A Story of Choctaw Chiefs," Chronicles of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), XVII (1939), 196-198.
Plans are being made to organize a county historical society in every county in the state where organizations of like nature do not already exist. One of the purposes of the county historical society is to collect objects and printed materials of interest in connection with the history of the county and state. Also it should attempt to arouse within its citizens an awareness of the heritage they enjoy. A timely activity would be the preservation of records of the present world war. Oklahomans both as individuals and as organizations should collect pictures, clippings, maps, war music, service records and other data which should be of great value when county and other war histories are written. Each county historical society in the state should act as a central agency in sponsoring this important work. Scrapbooks, letter files, folders and filing cases should be utilized for preserving historical items. Members of clubs and other organizations should keep records of their activities in war work and file them with the county historical society or with the Oklahoma Historical Society. Interested individuals should realize that this is a part of their patriotic duty which, properly carried out, will assist in building up the public morale in this time of crisis. The county historical society collections may be kept permanently at some logical place in the county by the society, such as the public library. Where facilities are not available to care for all items collected they may be placed with due credit in the State Historical Building at the capital.
It is the belief of those most interested in such a movement that each county in Oklahoma has a civic responsibility toward the undertaking already underway of preserving for future generations every landmark and every object of interest that at any time played a part in the making of Oklahoma history. It is suggested that counties grasp the highly prized opportunity for interviews with men and women yet living who took part in early day activities. Much information may be found in old letters, old newspapers, clippings, old books, old pictures and in the memories of old-timers which should be turned over to the county historical society. There are several regional organizations embracing one or more counties in Oklahoma and a number of county societies that are doing commendable work, yet there remains a large part of the state's area without county organizations for historical purposes.5 Information as to procedure of organizing a county historical society may be obtained by writing James W. Moffitt, Secretary, Oklahoma Historical Society, Historical Building, Oklahoma City.
In the paragraphs which follow will be found some helpful suggestions:
Perhaps no two societies operate under the same "Plan," for the "Plan" must be based on local experience, needs, and oppor-
tunities as well as on professional judgments and ideas. Yet it is the presence or absence of "Plan" that conditions the standards of the society . . . . Generally we must avoid duplicating the services of other local institutions, which is wasteful; nor should we become catch-alls for scientific, horticultural, or other interests outside the field of history. The county historical society's library, museum, membership, and other departments must grow by planned collecting, not by haphazard accumulation. As one critic sums it up, the local historical society should appear to the student as "a mine, not a dump." A notable example of the county historical society with a "Plan" is the Clarke County Historical Association, of Berryville, Virginia. Organized in May, 1939, this group obtained headquarters in the county courthouse, made a preliminary survey of local portraits and after obtaining professional advice engaged a photographer to copy those available. In seven months they obtained prints or negatives of 210 portraits and discovered a great many more. Similarly, local surveys were begun for cemeteries, old buildings, and privately owned manuscripts. In all of these much progress has already been made, and a library has been started with local newspapers and maps and works of local authors.
Improvement of opportunities for professional relations should have a salutary effect on the standards of county historical society work. Perhaps the best contact, visitation of historical agencies, is the one most neglected.6
The county or local historical society is able to reach into a sphere which the state historical society cannot always touch. When it performs its tasks the partnership between the local historical society and the state historical society becomes ideal, for one institution supplements the other, and the work of neither is complete without the cordial cooperation of the other.
The work of the county historical society is fundamentally the same as that of the larger state historical society; collection, preservation, and education. There will be no lack of loyal and willing workers if any interest is aroused in a community. Since there are many rich and almost neglected sources of documents in attics and barns, or half-forgotten trunks full of the records of a former day, letters, diaries, newspapers, an expense book, a family album, pamphlets, posters, placards, or sheds and barns housing old breaking plows, ox-chains, butter molds and slates that collecting historical material can be and is a pleasure.
When they are found, these materials should be housed in a suitable building and the county and local historical society must then carry on its work of telling the story of the past—a story that must be told through public meetings, through newspapers, magazines
6Henry James Young, "A Suggestion for Raising the Standards of Local Historical Society Work," Museum Echoes (Columbus, November, 1941), pp. 88-89.
and books, through visits of the people to the collections that have been established. The task of the local historical society has not been completed until every man, woman and child in the community has become aware that he or she is a part of the great past. The goal of the local historical society cannot be reached until the people of that neighborhood have come to understand the great essential truth that history begins at home.
There is no conflict of interests between the county historical society and the State Historical Society since after all the history of the state is but the summation of the history of the communities and counties in the state. If this truth is understood the story of the community as unfolded by the local historical society will be broadened by the knowledge that the community has influenced the course of state history. The work of those whose interest is not restricted by community or county lines will be enriched by the great flood of information that the local historical societies can release. With proper balance and honest cooperation all interests will be served by the study of community history, the basis of all history.7
During the last few days each one of us must have had some introspective moments. One mentally audits his contributions to the gigantic enterprise in which we are all now engaged and wonders whether his own job is significant. To those of us concerned with scholarship, either as a profession or as an avocation, the question is especially pertinent, for scholarship, the right of free and unregimented inquiry, is one of the freedoms for which we are fighting. In return what does scholarship contribute to the cause?
The answer is obvious for those engaged in physics, chemistry, and biology. But for the less immediately practical fields of knowledge there is also a satisfyingly favorable balance, either through the subject itself or its by-products. Even those of us concerned with history have something to show for our work.
One feels that it is a bit shameful to have leisure time when there is so much to be done. Yet each person must have some respite from work, and those who find relaxation in research need not feel that their time is wasted. The amateur scholars form a valuable reserve corps to supplement the professionals. Even the researcher in local history, that subject so dry and dusty to the outsider, makes his contribution. In stimulating our pride in our own background and heritage, he converts nationalism into immediate reality. One fights for the ideal of democracy, but one fights better when he understands that the roots of democracy reach down into these hills and valleys. Thus, the amateur scholar can find satisfaction in his avocation. While in his daily work he makes bread to feed America or tanks to defend America, in his leisure hours he is
7Adapted from an address by Arthur J. Larsen in The Annals of Iowa (Des Moines), XXIII, (January, 1942) , pp. 240-243.
holding fast to the things which are permanent, strengthening the fortress of free thought without which no nation or people can hope to endure.8
The Society cheerfully accepts the difficulties which we must endure if the war is to be won. Unconditional victory is, after all, the most important goal of our lives. But though the Society may be forced to mark time in some directions, we are determined to keep it alive and active. Nor is it unimportant that we all understand our past. Only in this way can we appreciate the country in which we live, the importance of the way of life which has fused into one great nation the varied emigrants who had fought tooth and nail in Europe, and the sacrifices made by our forebears and now demanded of us. We are confident that the study of our state and local history is a patriotic duty, and while bowing always to the war needs of our country, we shall try to make our Society even more influential.9
Mrs. E. H. Black, President of the Creek County Historical Society and an active member of the State Historical Society writes as follows:
I am preparing to make a roll of all youth who go into service from this county, and have already talked to the examining board and made arrangements about it. In addition to that we have a group of students to work on a history of Bristow and this section of Creek County, which, I think, will make a nice project.
Boss Neff, President of the No Man's Land Historical society and an interested member of the Oklahoma Historical Society, in a recent letter gives the following information:
Yes our Panhandle Society is making every effort to preserve any and all matters that we think will be interesting to future posterity, very often we get historical matters from down state that we preserve too.
Just yesterday I received from Mr. Lee Larrabee of Liberal, Kansas, a map of the old Cherokee Strip and the different ranches outlined in different colors, that I know will be appreciated by future generations.
The big celebration at Guymon the second of May was well attended and they had a fine parade, I met many old friends that I hadn't seen since "Heck was a pup."
The Secretary of the Creek Indian Memorial Association, Orlando Swain, an interested member of the State Historical Society, writes that they have in the hall of the Council House the list of their boys in the army, navy and in the air corps and that this is stimulating interest in local historical matters.
The officers of the Creek Indian Memorial Association are Ernest C. Lambert, President; Herman V. Head, Vice President; Nellie V. Kennedy, Treasurer; Orlando Swain, Secretary, Creek Council House, Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
Readers of The Chronicles will be interested in the following letter from Judge J. G. Clift, Duncan, President of the Stephens County Historical Society to Dr. Joseph S. Clark, Oklahoma City, State Supervisor of the State Writer's Program, dated February 7, 1942:
I have your letter of January 31, 1942, in which you ask that I furnish suggestions for revision relative to Rush Springs, Marlow, Duncan and Comanche, pages 374-376 (Oklahoma: A Guide to the Sooner State, Norman, 1942).
I have read this volume with considerable interest, and had just finished it when I received your letter. I think it is exceptionally accurate, as to matters that I know about personally. I make a few suggestions below, and you may use such part of it as you may see fit.
The Battle of Rush Creek is covered well in one short paragraph. The reports on the battle state that the body of Lieutenant Van Camp, who was killed in the battle, was taken to Ft. Gibson for burial, but nothing was said about the bodies of the four privates who were killed. The late W. H. Clift of Lawton, Oklahoma, made a long search for the graves of these soldiers, and finally located them, well marked, on the side of a mountain about a mile west of Camp Radziminski, northwest of Snyder. This was in 1933. The War Department was notified, the bodies were disinterred and reburied at Ft. Gibson.
The story of the Marlow brothers is substantially as I have heard it from time to time. However, the late Dr. R. L. Montgomery, the historian of Marlow, who came to Marlow in 1892, always claimed that the Marlow boys were not outlaws.
The Marlow boys sold out their holdings there to Bill Wade in 1880, and moved to Graham, Texas, so I am informed by Charles Wade, of Comanche, Oklahoma, who is a brother of Bill Wade. It was at Graham, Texas, that they had their feuds. Later, when one of the boys was wounded in a fight near Graham, he came back to a point near Marlow and hid and was taken care of by some old friends. He died from poisoning,
and it is thought that his supposed friends poisoned him in order to collect the reward.
In any event, it does not appear that they were wiped out or killed by any fight with the cattlemen at Marlow.
William Duncan, for whom the town was named, settled one mile east of Duncan, on Cow Creek, on the Chisholm Trail, in 1871 or 1872. Your statement is that he came there in 1879. I get my information from Buck Fitzpatrick, of Rush Springs, whose father sold the store on Cow Creek to William Duncan. Buck Fitzpatrick was about 11 or 12 years old at the time and does not seem to be positive whether it was in '71 or '72.
The elder Fitzpatrick came over from Ft. Arbuckle about 1867 or 1868 and put in this store. When Ft. Sill was established he put in a dairy and sold butter to the army at Ft. Sill. Sometimes he milked as many as 150 cows.
The City of Duncan owns a 540 acre lake, Lake Duncan, about eight miles east of the city, near state highway seven, surrounded by a beautiful park of 1,430 acres. This is one of the best fishing lakes in the state and is kept well stocked with fish.
Relative to the Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Company, of Duncan, a survey just made by the chamber of commerce discloses that this company has 654 employees in Duncan, with an annual payroll of $1,040,000. This does not include its employees at other places.
The Rock Island Refining Company has three hundred and 424 part time employees, with a payroll of $392,388; the Magnolia Petroleum Company has ninety-five regular employees, with a payroll of $192,000; and the Pace Petroleum Company has 167 regular and part time employees, with a payroll of $147,287.
Comanche did not "grow up" in the midst of an oil field for it had been a town of about the same size for almost twenty-five years before oil was discovered.
Two miles east of Addington, on Monument Hill, the Pickens County Cowpunchers Association has erected a stone monument on the "John Chisum Trail." The old cattlemen and cowboys of Southern Oklahoma contend that the Chisholm Trail was named for John Chisum, the great cattleman of Bolivar, Denton County, Texas.
East of Addington about one mile is the palatial ranch home of Henry Price. This is perhaps the largest ranch home and the largest ranch in Southern Oklahoma.
The attention of our readers is called to additional data regarding historical societies in Oklahoma.10
The officers of the Oklahoma Old Settlers Association are: Jim Biggerstaff, Wagoner, President; Mrs. R. L. Fite, President Emeritus; Mrs. Ford Allen, Vice-President; Mrs. Martin Miller, Secretary; Sam Morrison, Treasurer; Mrs. Cora Case Porter, Muskogee, Historian. O. H. P. Brewer, Mrs. Alex Todd and Nate Gibson, Jr. are former presidents of the association.
Officers of the Custer-Washita Pioneer Club are J. M. Armfield, President; W. R. Hughes, Arapaho, Secretary-Treasurer; Cy Howenstein, Vice-President for Custer County; L. O. Wilks, Cordell, Vice-President and Secretary for Washita County. Membership in this organization is limited to those persons who have lived in the area for twenty-five years or more.
The editor of the Tribune, Ray Dyer, a newspaper exchange member of the Society, furnished the names of the officers of the Canadian County Pioneers as follows: Etta Dale, President; Mrs. J. E. Kelso, Vice President; Ray Dyer, El Reno, Secretary; Mrs. Ora Mae Meredith, Treasurer.
Mrs. A. W. White was elected President of the Eighty-Niners Association for the ensuing year at a meeting held in Oklahoma City on May 2, 1942. New officers serving with Mrs. White will be Mrs. DeWitt Woods, First Vice-President; Mrs. Earl D. McBride, Second Vice-President and Mrs. C. E. Clifford, Corresponding Secretary. Those who were reelected to office include Mrs. W. M. Bottoms, Recording Secretary; Mrs. Blanche Housel Hawley, Treasurer; Mrs. J. L. Wyatt, Parliamentarian; Mrs. Jasper Sipes, Historian. Members of the Board of Directors are T. M. Richardson, Jr.; J. Frank Martin; Vernon E. Cook; Francis R. Welch.
At the final organization meeting of Chapter One of the Blue Star Mothers of America, at the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce on May 4, 1942, the following officers were elected: Mrs. W. W. Whiteman, President; Mrs. Med Cashion, First Vice-President; Mrs. V. V. Long, Second Vice-President; Mrs. W. F. Purnell, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. John Tomerlin, Recording Secretary; Mrs. Frank G. Anderson, Treasurer; Mrs. John P. Stewart, Custodian of Records; Mrs. Fred Bearly, Historian; Mrs. Earl Foster, Chaplain and Parliamentarian; Mrs. C. C. Peppers, Registrar, Oklahoma City.
10See the "Directory of Historical Societies in Oklahoma" in The Chronicles of Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), XX (1942), 81-92.
Captain A. C. Townsend, Oklahoma City, has sent in the following officers of the Oklahoma Philatelic Society: Paul S. Hedrick, President; L. M. Blakey, First Vice-President; L. M. Edmunds, Second Vice-President; C. N. A. DeBajligethy, Third Vice-President; Mrs. C. S. Buxton, Seminole, Business Secretary; Norman Albright, Corresponding Secretary; D. E. McPherson, Treasurer; W. H. Wilkins, Traveling Secretary; W. Hamilton Peck, Paul S. Hedrick, T. A. Edwards, C. L. Battle, C. N. A. DeBajligethy, F. M. Wood, Directors.
The Historical Museum in the balcony of the Library Building, Central State College, Edmond, Oklahoma, has one of the most valuable collections in the State. Under the leadership of Professor Lucy Jeston Hampton, the Central Teachers College early discovered that the logical place for an historical museum is in an institution of higher learning where teachers and other students may use the original sources as an integral part of the library; as the scientist uses the laboratory. This museum was collected by the Central State Teachers College Historical Society during the years 1915-1919; although several valuable records were acquired later. Professor Hampton, Curator of the museum, organized the society in 1915, was the first president of the organization and is now the faculty adviser for it.
On April 10, 1942, the Libke Troubadours, under the direction of Frederic Libke, gave a unique piano recital in the auditorium of the Historical Building. The program was patriotic—dramatized and in costume; its theme, "Liberty Triumphant". This has become an annual event in our auditorium. Two years ago the theme was the "Melting Pot". Last year "Dream Boats" was the subject, beginning with Columbus and continuing with the voyageurs across the Great Lakes and up the Mississippi. This year's program started with "Liberty" discouraged and uneasy, but with the encouragement of "Uncle Sam", and surrounded by the loyalty and enthusiasm of all the branches of service under arms and in industry, she finally emerges triumphant over her fears and with a will for victory. Children taking part in this year's musical fantasy were Joan Beals as "Liberty", Dorothy Jean White as "Uncle Sam", Elaine Spencer as "Spirit of Music", and Charlotte Ann Johnson, Karita Young, Carolyn Young, Myrna Skalovsky, Roberta Skaggs, Ruth Johnson, Amelia Wilson, Merica Shawver, Norma Jean Davidson, Elaine Davidson, Joe Mills, Tommy Saunders, Jimmy DeBois, John Hall Dowling, Dick Swanda, Bobby Duffner, Doris Ann Keeton, JoAnn Roope, William Lankford, and Harry Keeton, Oklahoma City.
The Historical Building is open additional hours in accordance with a plan recently adopted to fit into the present emergency. The new schedule is as follows: Monday through Friday 8:00 a. m. to 5:00 p. m., Saturday 8:00 a. m. to 3:00 p. m., and Sunday 2:00 p. m. to 5:00 p. m. The Society welcomes the men in the service of our country who want to see our collections and use our resources. The Society is also seeking to render a patriotic service as a War Information Center since its library has been designated as such by the War Information Service in Washington.
Many of our readers will be interested in the following statements: The Oklahoma State Health department has recently adopted a new form for obtaining delayed birth certificates which conforms to all requirements of the United States Census Bureau, Dr. G. F. Mathews, Commissioner, has announced. The "delayed" form is used to record the birth of a person born in Oklahoma whose birth was not recorded at the time of birth. Those wanting birth certificates should write to the State Health department, Oklahoma City, enclosing the statutory fee of fifty cents in cash or money order, with the following information: applicant's full name; date and place of birth; the father's full name and the mother's maiden name. This information must be sent in first, so that a search of the 1,750,000 birth certificates now on file may be made to determine if the applicant's birth has been recorded. If it has been recorded, a certified copy will be returned. If the birth has not been recorded, then the new form for a delayed certificate will be mailed to the applicant. In addition to the usual requirements of affidavits by relatives and non-relatives, the new form requires documentary evidence giving proof of the date and place of birth and the parentage. The new form requires one Class A and one Class B document or three Class B documents, before a perfect certificate can be issued. A Class A document is one established before the applicant's fourth birthday. Documents of this class include a Baptismal record, Cradle Roll record, Biblical record or an insurance policy. Class B documents are those established since the applicant's fourth birthday. They include those of Class A, and records such as military, employment, hospitalization, U. S. decinnial census report and a discharge from the army or navy. Class B documents must have been issued at least five years before the application for delayed birth certificates Those desiring birth certificates are being urged to write directly to the health department, and not to bother the private physician for this information. "Private physicians can do a real service to their patients and the program of compiling vital statistics by filling out birth certificates at the time of birth," Doctor Mathews added.11