The quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, October 23, 1941, with Judge Robert L. Williams, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present: Judge Robert L. Williams, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Judge Harry Campbell, Dr. E. E. Dale, Dr. Grant Foreman, Judge Robert A. Hefner, Mrs. Frank Korn, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Hon. John B. Meserve, Hon. J. B. Milam, Mr. H. L. Muldrow, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, and James W. Moffitt, the Secretary.
The Secretary read a telegram from Mr. Thomas J. Harrison, stating that he was sorry to miss the meeting but he was detained on account of work on the National Defense Project preventing his leaving.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that he be excused and express appreciation that we have a member of the Board busily engaged in a project for defense of his country. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary reported that a letter had been received from Gen. William S. Key stating that he would be unable to attend the meeting on account of official duties. Upon motion of Judge Harry Campbell, duly seconded, his excuse was approved and the Board felt honored to have one member of the Board at the head of such an important division of the military defense ready to serve anywhere when called or assigned in defense of his native land.
The Board expressed its gratification that Judge Thomas H. Doyle had recovered from his recent illness and extended to him their congratulations.
The illness of Senator George L. Bowman was reported and upon motion of Judge Baxter Taylor, duly seconded, he was excused and hope added for his speedy recovery which was to be communicated to him.
Mrs. J. Garfield Buell reported that she would be unable to attend this meeting as she would be out of the state at the time of the meeting; and Dr. James H. Gardner also was absent from the state on pressing matters, and upon motion of Judge Baxter Taylor they were excused from attending.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that it is the sense of this Board to express appreciation that we have with us Gen. Charles F. Barrett. Motion was seconded and carried.
Hon. W. J. Peterson had advised the Secretary that he would be unable to attend on account of pressing legal business in which he was engaged and upon motion, duly seconded, he was excused.
Dr. Grant Foreman transmitted to the Society a picture of Jesse Bushyhead, gift of Mrs. Callie McSpadden.
Mrs. Frank Korn moved that it be accepted and that Mrs. McSpadden be thanked for this picture. Motion was seconded and carried.
Upon motion of Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, duly seconded, it was ordered that the picture be framed.
The President read a letter from Dr. Grant Foreman presenting a collection of the Adair papers, accumulated by Judge John H. Adair.
Hon. John B. Meserve moved that they be received and Dr. Grant Foreman thanked for the donation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman asked to be excused from further attendance on account of an accident to Mrs. Foreman, which request was granted.
Hon. John B. Meserve moved that the Board extend its sympathy to Mrs. Foreman and hope for her speedy recovery, and also the wish that we
have many more articles for the Chronicles from both Doctor and Mrs. Foreman. Motion was seconded and carried.
A saddle blanket, used by Allyn K. Capron, Troop L Rough Riders, had been sent to Mrs. Carolyn Thomas Foreman by Captain Capron's mother for presentation to the Historical Society.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the saddle blanket be accepted and that Mrs. Foreman and Mrs. Capron be thanked for their part in the contribution. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President read the following resolution:
"This Board has heretofore directed that a description and lists of all property in the custody of the Historical Society, which had been left with iz as custodian, be filed with this Board showing whether it was left under written contract and if so what terms specified; and if not then so state verbal condition, and anyone connected with the Society is prohibited from parting with the possession of it without authority of this Board or by the joint written order of the President and Secretary."
Mrs. Frank Korn moved its adoption, seconded by Judge Baxter Taylor, who put the motion, which carried.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas introduced Mrs. Emmett Thompson of Ponca City, wife of the late chief of the Kaw tribe, who presented to the Society two group pictures of seven hereditary chieftains of the Kaw Indian Tribe which she had obtained from the Catlin art collection in Washington, D. C.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that these pictures be accepted and Mrs. Thompson thanked for this contribution to the art gallery. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Frank Korn, President of the Women's Culture Club of El Reno, presented a collection of books, donated by the Business and Professional Women's club of El Reno for the research library of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that these books be accepted and that Mrs. Korn and the Business and Professional Women's club be thanked for this collection of books. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams reported that he had recently secured the following books: Official copy of Proceedings of the National Democratic Conventions held in Charleston and Baltimore in 1860, and in St. Louis in 1876 and in Chicago in 1884, and offered them to the Society if they would reimburse him for the actual cost; i.e., $10.35.
Hon. J. B. Milam moved that we accept these books and pay Judge R. L. Williams the price $10.35 out of the private funds of the Society. The motion was seconded and Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, vice president, put the motion which carried.
The President read the following resolution concerning the west side of the museum on the fourth floor of the Historical building set aside for the use and benefit of the D. A. R.
"As to the space on the west side of the museum on the fourth floor set aside for the use and benefit of the D. A. R. and which has been furnished by them with lovely pictures and furnishings, and which has heretofore, on account of the elimination of the custodians for the Grand Army Hall and the Confederate Memorial Hall by veto of the Governor of the appropriation for said custodians and thereby reducing the Society to only one guide; that part of the museum was directed to be closed until further orders. And the D. A. R. through its regular officers, having stated that they had taken insurance on their said property located in said space covering fire, theft and every damage so as to provide. for replacement in case of loss, and requested that the doors affording access to said space be left open during the regular hours that said Historical building is kept open for the public.
"Now, therefore, such request is granted and the space will accordingly be kept open during such hours and a certified copy of this resolution be furnished said officers of the D. A. R."
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved its adoption and upon receiving a second, put the motion, which carried.
A verbal invitation was extended to the members of the Board to attend the dedication of this D.A.R. exhibit in the museum to be held November 12, 1941, and the President urged all members, who could, to attend.
It was resolved that the two halls, the Confederate memorial hall and the Union Soldiers' hall be kept closed until we have custodians qualified under the law for same, but that the Daughters of the Confederacy and the Auxiliary of the G. A. R. shall have the use of these respective rooms for their meetings. Judge Hefner moved that this be done and being seconded, the motion carried.
Judge R. L. Williams read a letter from Senator Robert L. Owen in which he stated he would donate to the Society two portraits; to-wit, one of his mother, Narcissa Chisholm Owen, and the other of Sequoyah.
Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that Senator Owen be thanked for the gift of these two portraits and that the Society pay for crating and shipping them to the Historical Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented a receipt of the deed to the Robert M. Jones tract of land, and asked that it be made a matter of record.
Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that the receipt of the deed be accepted and that it be made a matter of record. Motion was seconded and Judge Taylor put the motion which carried.
Judge R. L. Williams reported that another twenty acres of land of the Robert M. Jones tract will be put up for sale next May, and Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that the additional acres be purchased by Judge R. L. Williams for the use and benefit of the Oklahoma Historical Society, when advertised for sale in May, 1942. The motion was seconded and Judge Baxter Taylor put the motion which carried.
The President presented to the Society a photostat copy of a letter dated March 15, 1865 and copy of another letter dated September 2, 1864, written by the father of Mr. P. A. Norris, of Ada, to become a part of the Norris collection.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that they be accepted and also that Mr. Norris be thanked for these manuscripts, and upon receiving a second, put the motion which carried.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, a member of the Chickasaw tribe, expressed her appreciation to Judge Robert L. Williams and Hon. John B. Meserve for their work in connection with having the graves of Gov. Benjamin Crooks Burney and Gov. Benjamin Franklin Overton, former Chickasaw Governors, moved from the old Chickasaw burial grounds in the Red river dam section to the cemetery at Tishomingo.
Judge Robert A. Hefner offered a resolution thanking Judge Robert L. Williams for his splendid work in securing the Robert M. Jones tract of land for the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour seconded the motion and put the question which carried.
The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for life and annual membership in the Society:
LIFE: Dr. Berlin B. Chapman, Stillwater; James C. Denton, Tulsa; W. :S. Noble, Houston, Texas; Mrs. Leslie B. Speakman, Sapulpa.
ANNUAL: J. P. Battenberg, Oklahoma City; Arthur A. Beyer, Guthrie; F. W. Bird, Poteau; Mrs. Edna Henderson Bohnke, Helena; J. Fred Boston, Enid; F. L. Carson, Wichita, Kansas; Dr. Marlin R. Chauncey, Stillwater; Thomas G. Cook, Buffalo; Prof. Walter H. Echols, Stillwater; Robert Grady
Elliott, Oklahoma City; J. E. Falkenberg, Medford; Elmer L. Fraker, Mangum; Mrs. L. L. Franklin, Tulsa; Mabel R. Gillis, Sacramento, California; Frances Ferne Guilliams, Shawnee; Elmer Hale, McAlester; Ben Hatcher, Oklahoma City; Bernie Herstein, Idabel; Homer W. Hicks, Tulsa; R. C. Hicks, Kansas City, Missouri; Samuel W. Hogan, Okemah; Charles P. Howell, Ponca City; Mrs. Edwin Stevens Larrabee, Stillwater; Edmon Low, Stillwater; Tom C. McGee, Bison; Joseph H. Matthews, Oklahoma City; Pixie Mayes, Oklahoma City; Charles E. Mehew, Enid; Henry Methvin, Anadarko; L. R. Northcutt, Ponca City; James H. Patterson, Checotah; Frank Orr Quarles, Fairfax; J. Jones Quarles, Jr., Fairfax; U. S. Russell, Oklahoma City; W. Mark Sexson, McAlester; Alexander Spoehr, Chicago, Illinois; Mrs. J. R. Weldon, Enid; Dr. George Posey Wild, Weatherford; and Chester A. Williams, Oklahoma City.
Mrs. Frank Korn moved that they be elected and accepted for membership in the class indicated in the list. Motion was seconded and carried.
The question of sending the Secretary to meetings out of the state was discussed.
Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that we bear the expense of sending the Secretary to only one such meeting, allowing him to choose the one which he wished to attend. Motion was seconded and carried, and the Secretary chose to attend the meeting of the Southern Historical Association at Atlanta, Georgia, November 6, 7 and 8.
Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that Dr. E. E. Dale be chosen to represent the Society, in event the Secretary was not in attendance, at the meetings of the American Historical Association to be held in Chicago the last of December and the Mississippi Valley Historical Association to be held at Lexington, Kentucky in the spring, without expense to the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary presented the minutes of the Board meeting held July 23, 1941, and upon motion of Dr. E. E. Dale the reading of the minutes was passed subject to be called for consideration upon request.
Hon. J. B. Milam presented to the Society a gavel made of wood from the old treaty tree which stood in front of the Cherokee capitol in Tahlequah and the handle of wood from the old Female Seminary occupied in 1851; and also transmitted to the Society a block of type set up to print the Lord's prayer in the Cherokee alphabet, gift of Waddie Hudson, of Muskogee; and a document presented to the Society by Joe Vann, of Muskogee, which was a mortgage on some slaves given by John Drew and his wife to William P. Denckla to secure the payment of a debt; and upon motion duly seconded these gifts were received and the donors thanked for same.
Mr. H. L. Muldrow presented the proceedings of the Indian Territory Grand Lodge beginning in 1873 up to the time of the consolidation in 1909, which was originally in the possession of the late Joseph S. Murrow who was Secretary for a number of years. Upon motion duly seconded, this was received and Mr. Muldrow thanked for this donation.
The President appointed Mr. H. L. Muldrow to serve on the committee regarding the restoration of the old Chickasaw capitol.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that the meeting stand adjourned subject to the call of the President, which was carried.
Robert L. Williams,
James W. Moffit,