The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society was held in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, October 24, 1940, with Judge Robert L. Williams, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll, which showed the following members present:
Judge Robert L. Williams, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Dr. E. E. Dale, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Mr. George H. Evans, Judge Robert A. Hefner, Mrs. Frank Korn, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Judge Baxter Taylor, Judge William P. Thompson and James W. Moffitt, the Secretary.
The Secretary presented the minutes of the Board meeting held July 25, 1940, and upon motion of Judge Thomas H. Doyle the reading of the minutes was dispensed with except as same may be called up for special consideration. Motion was seconded and carried.
The vacancy in the Board of Directors, occasioned by the death of Hon. John B. Doolin, was discussed and Judge Thomas H. Doyle presented the name of Hon. George L. Bowman, of Kingfisher, to fill said vacancy in the Board of Directors.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett moved that Hon. George L. Bowman be nominated and elected, and that the Secretary be instructed to cast the unanimous vote of the Board for the election of George L. Bowman. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle presented a bill from the Foster Floral Company, for flowers for the funeral of Hon. Dan W. Peery, former member of the Board of Directors and also former Secretary of the Society, in the sum of $10.30, and moved that a payment be approved. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas moved that a committee be appointed to draft appropriate resolutions in his memory and secure data as to his life and activities. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed the following committee: Mr. Jasper Sipes, chairman; Judge Thomas H. Doyle, vice-chairman; Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Mrs. Frank Korn, and Mrs. John R. Williams.
The President reported on the grill doors in the west corridor of the Museum, and presented the bill of the Tibbs-Dorsey Manufacturing Company for the work in the sum of $576.35.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the bill of the Tibbs-Dorsey Manufacturing Company in the sum of $576.35 be appropriated and allowed out of the private funds of the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
The installation of the mezzanine floor in the newspaper stack room was discussed, and Mr. George H. Evans moved that the Board authorize this installation to be paid for out of the Equipment Fund, cost not to exceed $1250.00, and an additional sum of $250.00 from the Board of Affairs. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President read a letter from Mr. S. A. Layton, suggesting that the Board appoint Mr. George Forsyth as consulting architect for the Historical building without pay.
Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that Mr. George Forsyth be appointed to the position as consulting architect for the Historical building, to advise with the Board when changes or renovations are to be made in the building and for him to carry the title of Honorary Consulting Architect. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President read a letter from the Chief of the Periodical Division of the Library of Congress regarding the microfilming of certain newspapers at a cost of $617.40.
Judge Thomas A. Edwards moved that the purchase of these microfilms be authorized for the sum of $617.40 to be paid for out of any funds available, either public or private. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented to the Society a copy of the Choctaw Intelligencer, dated October 15, 1851 and a copy of the Illinois Journal, dated June, 1861.
Mrs. Frank Korn moved that these papers be accepted and Judge R. L. Williams thanked for this donation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. E. E. Dale moved that all members of the Board of Directors, not at this meeting, be excused. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President transmitted to the Society the picture of Sion Lewis, otherwise known as Silon or Sylon Lewis, the Choctaw who was executed at the court grounds of Gaines County, Choctaw Nation, about eight miles south of Wilburton, November 5, 1894, the gift of Mr. James Erazell.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that this photograph be accepted and that the donor be thanked for this gift. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President reported that a new WPA contract had been prepared for extending the work sponsored by the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle moved that the President and Secretary be given authority to approve the new contract extending the work of the WPA project. Motion was seconded by Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, which carried.
The President presented to the Society for the Confederate Memorial Room a Confederate coat worn by Robert Reece, of a Tennessee regiment, C. S. A., maternal grandfather of Mr. L. K. Hughey of Durant, Oklahoma, gift of Mr. Hughey.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that it be accepted and that Mr. L. K. Hughey be thanked for this donation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge William P. Thompson transmitted the book entitled The Story of the Cherokees by Dr. W. R. L. Smith, of Norfolk, Virginia, with an index for same, gift of Mrs. Mayme Chaney Hallum, the index being her own work.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle moved that these be accepted and that the Secretary be instructed to express the thanks of the Society to the donor. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. E. E. Dale presented to the Society an autographed copy of the first edition of his book entitled The Range Cattle Industry, an autographed copy of the first edition of his book entitled Cherokee Cavaliers of which Mr. Gaston Litton is co-author, and a copy of his address before the Mississippi Valley Historical Association in St. Louis, 1937.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that Dr. E. E. Dale be thanked for this valuable contribution to the Library of the Historical Society. Motion was seconded by Mrs. Blanche Lucas which was unanimously adopted.
Judge Baxter Taylor, chairman of the Library and Museum Committee, read a letter from Mr. C. E. Chouteau, advising that a large oil painting of Maj. Jean Chouteau would be presented to the Oklahoma Historical Society, provided that the Society would furnish a frame for the portrait at an estimated cost of $25.00, and moved that $25.00 be appropriated out of any funds available either private or public and set aside for this purpose, and that the matter be referred to the Library and Museum Committee and the Art Committee for action in the matter. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary read a letter from the Indian Arts and Crafts Board of the Department of the Interior, asking permission to borrow two Choctaw dishes and a small parfleche for an exhibition of Indian arts in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, starting January 22, 1941 and continuing for a period of three months, agreeing to insure the articles and pay all transportation.
Dr. E. E. Dale moved that this request be granted and the articles lent under their terms. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the telephone company be requested to move the pay station from the Historical building. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Frank Korn reported that the Society could obtain from Mr. R. F. Jones, of El Reno, some articles formerly owned by the late George W. Bellamy, the first lieutenant governor of the State of Oklahoma and a member of the Council of the Oklahoma Territory, and moved that the Secretary be instructed to take this matter up with Mr. R. F. Jones, and secure as much of the Bellamy collection as possible. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for membership in the Historical Society:
LIFE: Burdette Blue, Bartlesville; Olney F. Flynn, Oklahoma City; Streeter B. Flynn, Oklahoma City; George Henry Shirk, Oklahoma City.
ANNUAL: Mrs. Sallie Alexander, Inola; Clell W. Babler, Vinita; Dr. Louis Bagby, Vinita; William Beaumont, Mangum; Mrs. Anna Betzinez, Apache; W. R. Blakemore, Oklahoma City; Mrs. E. J. Blank, Gushing; Mrs. Atha M. Boatright, Cushing; N. M. Bradley, Salina; Roland M. Broach, Tulsa; Mrs. Laurie F. Bronson, Muskogee; Mable Caldwell, Stillwater; Ada Lois Cardell, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Wilburn Cartwright, McAlester; Robert E. Chandler, Miami; Laura E. Crews, Enid; Col. M. L. Crimmins, Ft. Sam Houston, Texas; Mrs. Fletcher E. Crowe, Enid; Richard Lawrence Crutcher, McAlester; Mrs. Grace Ledbetter Cutler, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Estelle Davis, Inola; Russell W. Davis, Bartlesville; Prof. M. E. Derrick, Shawnee; J. T. Dickerson, Edmond; Mrs. Leo M. Doolin, Alva; Mrs. John A. Dykstra, Grand Rapids, Michigan; Rees Evans, Ardmore; Oscar John Grace, Oklahoma City; Anna Foreman Graham, Tulsa; Mrs. Mollie Bowling Glenn, Norman; Mrs. A. K. Gossom, Enid; Mrs. Estelle T. Gross, Trinidad, Colorado; Dr. Gaines B. Hall, Norman; Walter Reynolds Harris, Oklahoma City; Ida Frances Hasley, Oklahoma City; William M. Johnson, Houston, Texas; Rev. William Robert Johnson, El Reno; Gerald Brown Klein, Tulsa; M. D. Libby, El Reno; Mrs. Constance McGill, Alva; Quincy Mitchell, Durant; Mrs. S. Earl Newcomb, Antlers; Mrs. Alfred R. Page, Sierra Madre, Calif.; Mrs. A. J. Parsley, Claremore; B. K. Pate, Caddo; Mrs. M. B. Pitts, Durant; Frank Ragsdale,
Durant; Clayton Thomas Rand, Gulfport, Miss.; Judge Prentiss E. Rowe, Pawnee; Mrs. Charles A. Runk, New York, N. Y.; Orpha B. Russell, Tulsa; H. L. Schall, Ponca City; Mrs. Gwendolyn Schuhmacher, Alva; Mrs. A. Schuler, Chickasha; Prof. Marion Severance, Durant; Phamis E. Shelden, Edmond; Mrs. O. T. Sipes,, Olustee; Mrs. Jessie Mary Spainhower, Inola; J. D: Steakley, Durant; William L. Steger, Durant; Mrs. Ether L. Stone, Oklahoma City; Blanche Turrentine, Smithville; Sister M. Ursula, Tulsa; and Mrs. Ray M. Welch, Tulsa.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle moved that they be admitted to membership in the Society in such capacity as shown in the applications. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President discussed the Robert M. Jones property and the advisability of securing it for a state park, taking title for the Historical Society, in the name of the State for the Oklahoma Historical Society, consisting of 320 acres.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that the President be authorized to act and exercise his best judgment in acquiring the land. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President called attention to the meetings of the Southern Historical Association at Charleston, South Carolina, the Society of American Archivists at Montgomery, Alabama, and the Mississippi Valley Historical Association at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the meeting of the American Historical Association at New York City, to be held during this coming winter and spring.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the Secretary be authorized to attend the meeting of the Southern Historical Association at Charleston, South Carolina, and the meeting of the Society of American Archivists at Montgomery, Alabama, during the month of November, 1940, and the meeting of the Mississippi Valley Historical Association at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, during the spring, 1941, with expenses allowed, and the meeting of the American Historical Association at New York City in December, 1940, at his own expense. Motion was seconded and carried.
Upon motion of Judge Thomas H. Doyle, the meeting stood adjourned to meet subject to the call of the President.
Robert L. Williams, President
James W. Moffitt, Secretary