Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 18, No. 4
WILLIAM CLAUDIUS McALISTER
William Claudius McAlister, son of Charles A. McAlister and his wife, Emily McAlister, nee Connor, was born on September 14,
1870 on a place, which for three-fourths of a century had been the family homestead, near Tatum Station in Marlboro District,
South Carolina. He attended the local schools and completed his education both in arts and law at the University of North
Carolina, where he matriculated in 1891 and graduated in June, 1895, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and completed the
two-year law course in 1896, after which he was admitted to the Bar of North Carolina and located at Trenton in that state
and engaged in the practice of law for over a year.
He then became Superintendent of Schools in Monroe, North Carolina, continuing in this capacity from September, 1897 to June,
1899 when he removed to the state of Texas, and from September, 1899 to June, 1902, inclusive, he was principal of the highschool
at Ennis, Texas, where he met and later married his wife, Jewel Hill, on May 27, 1906. From September, 1902 until June, 1905
he was Superintendent of the City Schools of Texarkana, Arkansas. From September, 1905 until December, 1907 he was connected
with a brokerage firm in Texarkana.
After the admission of the state of Oklahoma on November 16, 1907 into the Union, in January of 1908 he removed to Hugo in
Choctaw County, Oklahoma, where he was principal of the highschool until the close of the school term in 1908, after which
he became claim agent for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company with headquarters at Hugo, then a principal division
point, serving in that capacity for about two years, when he resigned and engaged in the paving and bridge business as a contractor.
On July 31, 1911, having been elected, he qualified as a member of the School Board for the city of Hugo and continued in
such capacity until May 3, 1915. He was elected to the State Senate from the 24th Senatorial District composed of Choctaw,
Mcturtain and Pushmataha counties at the general state election in November, 1912 and re-elected in November, 1916. He was
appointed and took the oath of office as Secretary of the State Senate and ex-officio member of the State Election Board on
May 24, 1918. On January 7, 1919, preliminary to serving as a member of the Senate at the session of the Legislature convening
on said date, he resigned as Secretary of the State Election Board and C. C. Childers was appointed to succeed him, who having
resigned at the close of that legislative session, as Secretary of the Election Board, McAlister was again appointed as Secretary
of the Senate and ex-officio Secretary of the State Election Board, qualifying on March 29, 1919, thereafter serving continuously
in such capacity until January 8, 1929.
As a member of the Senate he developed a quiet and effective leadership in promoting and preventing the passage of legislation.
His leadership and promotion of efficient party organization incurred the enmity of the Republican legislative leaders who
sought his retirement from the head of the State Election Board. He went to his grave believing that his displacement in January,
1929 as Secretary of the Senate and Ex-officio Secretary of the State Election Board was occasioned through negotiations carried
on during the impeachment trial of Governor Johnston to secure Republican support of his impeachment.
At the time of his death he had been Chief Assistant in the office of the United States Internal Revenue Agent for the District
of the State of Oklahoma beginning in July, 1933.
Courteous, diplomatic, avoiding unnecessary antagonisms, and wise, he became effective in party councils. He was described
as "a mild-mannered school teacher who rose to eminence in Sooner (Oklahoma) politics, and then fell before a creation of
his own machine, * * * unassuming and not profiting personally in any way * * *."
He worked quietly, stayed behind scenes, neither stooping to nefarious political tricks to achieve his ends nor was he ever
charged with political corruption.1
He died on August 28, 1934, survived by his wife and two sons, William Claudius, Jr., and Carl Hill, and one daughter, Emily
(Mrs. Barney Stewart), and was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery in Oklahoma City on August 30, 1934.2 He was a devoted and faithful husband and father and loyal to his friends.
His grandparents on both sides were of Scotch-Irish descent.
The McAlisters came from Scotland in the latter part of the 18th century after the close of the Revolutionary War to North
Carolina. His father was enrolled on October 17, 1861, at Marlboro District, for 12 months, as a private, Capt. R. C. Emanuel's
Co. Hatch's Battalion, Coast Rangers, South Carolina Volunteers, Confederate States of America. This organization subsequently
became Co. G, 23rd South Carolina Infantry, Confederate States of America. The muster roll for November and December, 1861,
last roll of that company on file, shows him absent on picket duty. The muster roll of Co. L, 20th South Carolina Infantry,
Confederate States of America, 23rd South Carolina Volunteers, on May 1, 1862. About April 30, 1863, Co. L, 20th South Carolina
Infantry, became unattached and was designated Capt. Spark's Co., South Carolina Cavalry, which subsequently became Co. E,
19th Battalion South Carolina Cavalry, Confederate States of America. The muster roll of the latter organization for November
and December, 1864, last roll on file, shows him present.
William Claudius McAlister had two sisters, Katherine and Sarah. The former, two years his senior, married and raised a family
of four boys and two girls, and passed away at the old home in South Carolina in 1934. The latter, his junior, was never married
and passed away in 1929. He had two brothers, the Honorable Archibald G. McAlister, of Phoenix, Arizona, for a number of years
a member of the Supreme Court of that state, three years his junior, and the other brother, Charles Augustus McAlister, eight
years his junior, resides at Macon, Georgia.
A cultured and typical son of the old South has passed on.
—R. L. Williams
LILLIAN GALLUP HASKELL
Lillian B. Gallup was born in Ottawa, Ohio, December 12, 1862, the daughter of Josiah and Naomi Jane Cox Gallup. The Gallup
family is a distinguished one, having in its earlier history the names of many of the gentry of England. John Gallup sailed
for the United States from Plymouth, on the 20th of March, 1630 and Christobel, his wife together with their three children
followed him to the New World, three years later. The family settled first in Dorchester, Massachusetts but later moved to
Boston where John Gallup became known as a man of substance and influence, possessing as he did, "a meadow on Long Island,
a sheep pasture on Nix Mate and a house in Boston." After the settlement of Rhode Island and Connecticut, his ship furnished
the sole means of communication between the colonies and, at one time, there was considerable anxiety in the settlement in
Rhode Island because of his long absence and in a letter written to Governor Bradford of Massachusetts by Roger Williams,
the opening sentence contained these words, "God be praised, John Gallup has arrived."
Lillian B. Gallup was of the ninth generation of the descendants of John Gallup; she was married to Charles N. Haskell, then
of Lipsic, Ohio, on September 4, 1889. The marriage was solemnized in Ottawa, Ohio where Mr. Haskell was then practicing law;
she was Mr. Haskell's second wife. For a short time after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Haskell continued to live in Ottawa,
Ohio but in 1901, came to Muskogee, Indian Territory where Mr. Haskell rapidly rose to prominence and in 1907 was elected
the first governor of the new state of Oklahoma; he served as governor from 1907 to 1911. Governor Haskell died July 5th,
1933 and the last visit of his widow to Muskogee was on the occasion of the dedication of a marble shaft to the memory of
her deceased husband. This ceremony took place in Greenhill Cemetery on May 30th (Memorial Day), 1938. Mrs. Haskell was the
mother of three children. The two daughters who survive her are: Mrs. F. D. Richardson (Naomi Jane) and Frances Haskell Edmonson,
both of San Antonio, Texas; a son, Charles Josiah, died August 12th, 1931. She is also survived by two granddaughters, Mrs.
Gustavus West (Betty Niblack) and Marguerite Sherry O'Brien, both daughters of Mrs. Edmonson by previous marriages.
While Mrs. Haskell, with her husband lived for many years in New York City and after his death made her home in San Antonio
with her daughters, she never wavered in her devotion to Oklahoma and to old-time friends and neighbors. To an unusual degree,
she was companion and help-mate to Governor Haskell, who, in many public speeches, referred to the help and inspiration which
"Miss Lillie" never failed to give him. It was said that when he was installed as governor, his wife's sewing machine was
also installed in the capitol building so that she might be near her husband and, when Governor Haskell's interest in building
railroads took him through the new state, she always accompanied him on these expeditions, cheerfully sharing the inconveniences
and hardships which they entailed.
Lillian Gallup Haskell died in San Antonio, Texas, July 13, 1940, at the age of seventy-seven years. She lived a full, colorful
and varied life and her contribution to the early days of her adopted state is and will remain a valuable and appreciated
It is altogether fitting that her portrait should have a place in Oklahoma's Hall of Fame even as her memory is enshrined
in the hearts of Oklahoma's people.
—Elizabeth Williams Cosgrove.
CHARLES ROBINSON HUME, M. D.
Dr. Charles Robinson Hume, a resident of Anadarko for nearly fifty years, died at the home of his son, C. Ross Hume, 503 West
Central boulevard, 1:20 a.m. Friday, August 9, 1940. The pioneer had been bedfast for nearly a year. He was 92.
With the death of Doctor Hume, memories of service to the entire Kiowa Indian reservation are revived in the minds of aged
Indians and whites alike. For the first five years of his practice in the five-county area the physican gave medical aid to
the Indians, without any assistance.
Funeral services were held on Sunday in the First Presbyterian church here. Rev. Lewis R. Rogers, pastor, officiated, and
burial was made in the Anadarko cemetery under the direction of the Smith Funeral chapel, here.
He was born in Riga, Monroe county, New York, October 21, 1847 and moved, with his parents, Roderick and Ruth Ann Hume, to
Michigan in 1854. Twenty years later Charles Robinson Hume was awarded his degree in medicine from Michigan University.
His first practice was begun in Wood county, Ohio, and he was married to Annette Ross, December 27, 1876, in Perrysburg, Ohio.
Following the Perrysburg medical practice the couple moved to Tontogany, Ohio, and it was here that two sons, C. Ross, and
Raymond R., were born.
In January, 1881, the family moved to Caldwell, Kansas, where Doctor Hume remained until 1890. During their Caldwell residence
two sons and a daughter were born and died in infancy.
Appointment as Kiowa Indian Agency doctor brought Doctor Hume into Caddo County on December 1, 1890, and his family followed
a month later.
Mrs. Hume died in January, 1933 and Dr. Raymond R. Hume died in Minco in August, 1935.
A long list of honors and distinguished services may be added after the name of Dr. Charles Robinson Hume.
He was the oldest living member in continuous affiliation with the Presbyterian church here, establishing his membership in
1891. Until retiring from his position ten years ago, Doctor Hume served as either a trustee or elder of the church here from
his time of membership.
A charter member of the Sons of the American Revolution in the state chapter at Oklahoma City, Doctor Hume was given honorary
membership when he retired at the age of 80.
At the organization of Caddo County, he was appointed as first county health officer, holding the position until statehood.
He was the first president of the Caddo County Medical society and for many years was secretary-treasurer of the organization.
He was a member of the Territorial and State Medical societies for over twenty years and was Councilor for the third district
for six years, and in 1914 was vice president, of the organization. He also served as president of the organization in 1916.
Included in the survivors are his son, C. Ross Hume, Anadarko; three grand children, Ross G. Hume, Oklahoma City, Mrs. Dr.
James H. Hammond, Tulsa, and Mrs. Dr. John R. Black, Los Angeles, Calif.; and two great grandchildren, Charles Robert Hume,
Oklahoma City, and James H. Hammond II, Los Angeles.1
SAMUEL EMMET SWINNEY
Samuel Emmet Swinney, born near Whiteside, Missouri, on June 16, 1877, and died on December 16, 1936, and buried at Highland
Cemetery, Durant, Oklahoma, was son of John James Swinney who was born in Virginia and came to Missouri when twelve years
old. His paternal grandfather, Nelson Swinney, was born and died in Virginia. His mother was Wilhelmina Lyle, born near Whiteside,
Missouri, on March 23, 1855, and married to his father in the home in which she was born. His maternal grandfather, Lorenzo
D. Lyle, born in Virginia on October 29, 1820, and maternal grandmother, Sarah R. Williams, born in Kentucky on September
5, 1822, were married in Missouri on April 30, 1848.
In 1879, John James Swinney, his father, moved to Texas from Missouri, settling on a farm near Long Branch in Fannin County,
Texas, at which time Samuel Emmet Swinney was two years old, who later attended the schools at Long Branch and Savoy College
nearby and the Normal School at Denton, Texas. Afterward, in 1891, he matriculated at the University of the South, Sewanee,
Tennessee, registering in the School of Pharmacy of its medical school, and taking therein two courses.
After his attendance at Savoy College at Savoy, Texas, at intervals between then and his matriculating at the University of
the South, he taught school beginning when he was 19 years old, and also acted as a Deputy County Clerk for Fannin County,
at Bonham, Texas. After he returned from the University of the South he went to Madill, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory,
where he was a pharmacist clerk in a drug store and then removed to Caddo, Indian Territory, and entered into the drug business
with the late Ira Smith under the firm name of Smith & Swinney, Druggists. Later this business was sold to the late W. F.
Dodd, Sam Swinney continuing with him for a while as pharmacist.
In 1907 he became a candidate on the Democratic ticket for County Clerk of Bryan County, Oklahoma, and was elected. He qualified
as such at the erection of the state for the term expiring in January, 1911. In 1910 he was re-elected and served for a term
expiring in January, 1913. Beginning in the early part of 1913 he became an Assistant State Examiner and Inspector and so
continued until 1916 when he was appointed and confirmed as Postmaster at Durant, Oklahoma, and continued as such until 1920.
Beginning in 1920 he was associated with his brother Dan Swinney and so continued until 1929 in the drug business at Durant
under the firm name of Swinney Drug Company. In 1929 he took the lead in the promotion and organization and construction of
the Hotel Bryan in Durant. In 1933 he was appointed and served as Inspector for the Home Owners' Loan Corporation until July
16, 1934, when he was appointed and confirmed as United States Marshal for the Eastern District of Oklahoma, holding such
office until his death.
He was affiliated with the Democratic party and in its organization served as Congressional committeeman for the Third Congressional
District and as chairman of the Bryan County committee.
On January 6, 1906 he was married to Miss Soulie Pate of Caddo, Oklahoma, who with a daughter, Francile, survive him, to both
of whom he was faithfully devoted.
He had seven brothers and sisters, to-wit: Lee Swinney, who died in Dallas, Texas, in February, 1917; Daniel Webster Swinney,
Durant, Oklahoma; Mrs. Charlie Price (Anna), Colville, Washington; Mrs. R. C.
Bowman (Mittie), Detroit, Texas; John Swinney, with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, Portland, Oregon; Albert Swinney,
Vice-President, First National Bank, Ringling, Oklahoma; and Mrs. Mark Myers (Callie), Deer Park, Washington.
A member of the Christian Church, an exemplary citizen, loyal to every duty, private and public, and efficient in all of life's
relationship, he has passed from this earthly home.
—R. L. Williams.
Return to top
Electronic Publishing Center |
OSU Home |
Search this Site