Chronicles of Oklahoma

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Chronicles Homepage
Search all Volumes
Copyright 2001
Purchase an Issue

Table of Contents Index Volume List Search All Volumes Home

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 17, No. 3
September, 1939

Page 341

Among the activities carried on during the past year by the Oklahoma City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution were the following: Medals were presented to outstanding students in the Oklahoma City schools to encourage the study of good citizenship and history. On February 26, four redbuds (the state tree) were planted east of the Municipal Building in Civic Center. A marker with an appropriate inscription was erected later. On May 10, this Chapter presented two Logan elm trees to the Oklahoma Historical Society which were placed on the grounds north of the Historical Building. One of the markers for a scion of the historic tree honors Dr. J. B. Thoburn and was presented by Mrs. C. G. Girvin, President of the Oklahoma City Chapter on behalf of that organization. The other marker was dedicated to the Mingo Indian Chief, Logan, by Mrs. S. I. Flournoy, chairman of historical markers for the local chapter.

At a meeting of representatives of the Oklahoma Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution at the Historical Building on May 10, Mrs. Frank Gordon Munson, Alva, state historian of the D. A. R., told members about the celebration being planned to commemorate Coronado's passing through Oklahoma. On behalf of the state society she presented to the Oklahoma Historical Society the following: A frame containing the Oklahoma state flag painted and described by Mrs. Louise F. Fluke of Ponca City; a historical map of Oklahoma drawn by Lester W. Raymer of Alva, and a frame enclosing the object, creed, pledge, and belief of the National Society of the D. A. R., prepared by Mrs. Fluke. Additional gifts were added to the collections of the Oklahoma Historical Society by Mrs. Virgil Browne, Oklahoma City, and Mrs. Viola Pelter McGreevy, Carmen. Other state officers present were Mrs. Lester B. Gum, state librarian, Mrs. Browne, state genealogist, and Mrs. Andrew R. Hickam, chairman of the state regent loan fund.

The following articles will be of interest to our readers: "Coronado's Muster Roll," edited by Arthur S. Aiton, in The American Historical Review (April, 1939); "The Fate of the Confederate Archives." by Dallas D. Irvine, in The American Historical Review (July, 1939); "The 'Turner Theories' and the South," by Avery Craven, in The Journal of Southern History (August, 1939); "The Mississippi Valley and Its History," by William O. Lynch, in The Mississippi Valley Historical Review (June, 1939); "Kansas' Archaeological Survey," by Wayne Delaven, in The Wisconsin Archaeologist (July, 1939); "Archaeology in the Light of Recent Finds in Other States," by W. C. McKern, in The Wisconsin Archaeologist (July, 1939); "Field Report on the Excavation of Indian Village

Page 342

in the Vicinity of the Spiro Mounds, Le Flore County, Oklahoma," by Kenneth G. Orr, in The Oklahoma Prehistorian (July, 1939); "Flint Artifacts Relating to Cultures on the Great Plains," by William E. Baker, ibid.; "Indian Chiefs of Michigan," by E. F. Greenman, in Michigan History Magazine (Summer, 1939); "The Village of the Big Osage," by Joe Harner, in The Missouri Archaeologist (February, 1939); "Louisiana Choctaw Pottery," by John M. Goggin, in El Palacio (June, 1939); "Notes from Secretary Bloom in Seville," in New Mexico Historical Review (April, 1939); "Religious Beliefs of the Nebraska Indian," by Mary Hungate, in Nebraska History (July-September, 1938); "Some Frontier Institutions," by LeRoy G. Davis, in Minnesota History (March, 1939); "The Natchez Trace: a Federal Highway to the Old Southwest," by Lena Mitchell Jamison, in The Journal of Mississippi History (April, 1939); "Gaines Trace in Monroe County," by W. A. Evans, ibid.; "Uniform Archival Legislation," by Albert Ray Newsome, in The American Archivist (January, 1939); "The Parentage and Birthplace of Osceola," by Charles H. Coe, in Florida Historical Quarterly (April, 1939); "Cherokee Goldseekers in Colorado, 1849-1850," by LeRoy R. Hafen, in The Colorado Magazine (May, 1938); "Shawneetown: a chapter in the Indian History of Illinois," by Norman W. Caldwell, in Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society (June, 1939); "Georgia Archaeology with Special Reference to Recent Investigations in the Interior and on the Coast," by Charles C. Harrold, in The Georgia Historical Quarterly (March, 1939).

Another milestone in the growth of Lawton was reached on August 7, 1939. Scores of pioneers who founded the city in 1901 gathered at Union Park all during the day to recall the events of the past thirty-eight years. Among those extending greetings to the crowd gathered there were Mrs. Janette Rowell, President of the Pioneer Club; Clarence Wilson, President of the Buckaroo Club; Dick Jones, Mayor of Lawton; Colonel L. P. Ross; Reverend T. J. Irwin; pioneer lawyer and minister. Others introduced were Lieutenant Governor James E. Berry and Adjutant General Charles F. Barrett.

Lawton Constitution, August 7, 1939.

Return to top

Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site