Chronicles of Oklahoma

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Chronicles Homepage
Search all Volumes
Copyright 2001
Purchase an Issue

Table of Contents Index Volume List Search All Volumes Home

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 15, No. 4
December, 1937
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS.

Page 493

The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, October 28, 1937, with the President, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, presiding.

The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present: Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Mr. George H. Evans, Dr. Grant Foreman, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Judge Robert A. Hefner, Gen. William S. Key, Mrs. Frank Korn, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Mr. W. J. Peterson, Judge Baxter Taylor, Dr. J. B. Thoburn, Judge William P. Thompson, Mrs. John R. Williams, Judge R. L. Williams, and James W. Moffitt, the Secretary.

The following members had presented their excuses for absence: Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Judge Harry Campbell, Dr. E. E. Dale, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mr. John B. Meserve, and Mr. Jasper Sipes. The reasons given for being absent were deemed sufficient.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the reading of the minutes of the Board meeting held July 29, 1937, be dispensed with; and that the Board resolve itself into an executive session. Motion was seconded and carried.

The executive session being ended, the regular order of business was resumed.

The President presented Mr. C. C. Childers, Commander of the Sons of the Confederate Veterans, who addressed the meeting in behalf of the Daughters of the Confederacy requesting the use of the women's patriotic room for their meetings. Judge R. L. Williams read a letter from Mrs. Aletha C. Conner, in behalf of the Auxiliary of the Spanish War Veterans, in regard to the use of the women's patriotic room in the Historical building. Mrs. Frank Korn, chairman of the committee from the various organizations entitled to use the room, explained the rules that had been adopted governing the use of the room. Judge R. A. Hefner, chairman of the committee appointed at the Board meeting held July 29, 1937, to investigate the use of the women's patriotic room and kitchenette, read the report of the committee, which the President ordered received. Judge R. L. Williams moved that the State Organizations be permitted to hold two meetings each year and the Oklahoma City local organizations by permission of the officers of the State Organizations be allowed the same privileges; and that the kitchenette be continued as it is now used by the said local organizations until the annual meeting of the Board next January. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams made a report on the Sequoyah Home and Park, mentioning the things that had been done, such as building a power house with water tower, sewerage plant and stone toilets, flag pole, the custodian's house, installing a dynamo for electric lights, and stringing the electric wires on cedar poles and constructing the iron gate with Marble City marble columns built on each side of the gate in addition to the construction of the stone wall around the park, all of which had been completed, and he further moved that the Secretary and other officers

Page 494

in Oklahoma City, in connection with the State Park Service and if possible with the approval of the National Park Service, prepare a project properly signed and present same to Mr. Ron Stephens, State Administrator, WPA, to be approved by him and sent to Washington for approval, so that the balance of the Federal Aid project money, for walls around said Sequoyah Home and Park, which is approximately $700.00 or more, now unexpended, can be used to landscape the grounds surrounding the Sequoyah Home. Motion was seconded and carried. Judge R. L. Williams explained that he had advanced the sum of $50.00 to secure a certain donation of $300.00 for carrying on the work at the Sequoyah Home. Mr. W. J. Peterson moved that the Treasurer be authorized to reimburse Judge R. L. Williams for this $50.00 expended by him. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams requested that the committee be authorized to secure and purchase a copper plaque for the Robert M. Jones Cemetery wall to be placed in lieu of a cornerstone, inscription thereon to show that it was a WPA project and that the Oklahoma Historical Society was Sponsor and that it was constructed in commemoration of the patriotic services of Robert M. Jones, he having been a member of the Congress of the Confederate States of America from the Choctaw Nation and an outstanding leader in everything that pertained to the welfare of his tribe. Judge R. A. Hefner moved that Judge R. L. Williams be authorized to secure such copper plaque, have it suitably inscribed and installed, the cost to be taken out of the $367.42 that had been transferred to the Sequoyah project. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. J. B. Thoburn called attention to the first cemetery set aside in Grady County, in which the Moncriefs are buried, as explained in an anniversary edition of the Chickasha Express.

Gen. William S. Key moved that the committee consisting of Judge R. L. Williams, Dr. Grant Foreman and W. W. Hastings be authorized to negotiate on the part of the Historical Society with the National Park Service toward having said Sequoyah Park not only increased in area but ultimately to be taken over as a part of the National Parks of the United States and also as to the Robert M. Jones Cemetery as a National Park. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. John R. Williams called attention to the fact that the west side of the state was being neglected in the matter of parks. Judge R. L. Williams moved that a committee composed of Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Mrs. John R. Williams, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore and Mr. George H. Evans be constituted to take care of the west side of the state in the matter of parks, leading up to incorporating them in National Parks. Motion was seconded and carried.

The illness of Judge Samuel W. Hayes was reported and Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the Board send flowers to the hospital for Judge Hayes. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman read his report on the WPA project for indexing and cataloguing newspapers and the Indian-Pioneer History project, announcing the resignation of Mrs. Edith Clift as director of the WPA project for the Historical Society and the appointment of Mr. John Ryle as her successor, and also Dr. Foreman reported his own resignation as director of the Indian-Pioneer History project and the appointment of J. Stanley Clark as his successor. The need for ten steel filing cases for the Indian archives and three double steel filing cases for newspaper cards was explained. Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Secretary be instructed to make requisition for these thirteen cases. Motion was seconded and carried.

Page 495

Judge R. L. Williams moved that he be permitted to draw on the $367.42 that had been set aside for the Sequoyah Home project to apply on the landscaping of the grounds surrounding the house, and for a plaque on the building. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman read a paper setting forth the fact that Mr. J. B. Milam of Chelsea had advanced the money to purchase a plot of ground in Fort Gibson in which John Martin, a distinguished Cherokee, was buried in 1840; the deed to run in the name of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The President reminded the Board that deeds should be taken in the name of the Oklahoma Historical Society as trustee of the State of Oklahoma. Dr. J. B. Thoburn moved that the President and Secretary acknowledge receipt of this proposition under the seal of the Society and thank Mr. Milam for his generosity. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman presented a resolution extending an invitation to the Sixth Regiment of United States Infantry, which is to pass through Oklahoma November 16, 1937, to visit Fort Gibson and enjoy the facilities of the reconstructed fort and surrounding state park, and that the Secretary send a copy of these resolutions to Col. Joseph A. Atkins, Camp Bullis, San Antonio, Texas. Judge R. L. Williams moved that these resolutions be adopted and that Gen. William S. Key be also furnished a copy of these resolutions. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for membership in the Society:

Life: Mrs. Mabel Carrico Holtzschue, Oklahoma City.

Annual: Anna Joe Adair, Oklahoma City; Bettie Bullette, Tulsa; George H. Burress, Oklahoma City; Joseph H. Comer, Hominy, Mervil S. Dutton, Oklahoma City; Turner L. Ervin, Albuquerque, New Mexico; Mabel May Fasken, Sand Springs; Mrs. George Frederickson, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Charles R. Freeman, Checotah; Mrs. Wm. O. Garrett, Okmulgee; Roscoe E. Harper, Tulsa; Charles A. Holden, Tulsa; Ralph Hudson, Oklahoma City; Rev. J. J. Humes, Stonewall; Leonard O. Lytle, Sapulpa; Mrs. L. L. McMillin, Oklahoma City; J. S. Maytubby, Clarita.; James D. Morrison, Wilburton; Mrs. L. M. Poe, Tulsa; Mrs. Catalina Prater, Oklahoma City; Charles B. Rhodes, Muskogee; Edwin S. Stahl, Oklahoma City; Mrs. E. W. Tanner, Alva; M. E. Williams, McAlester; Reginald S. Williams, Oklahoma City; T. B. Williams, Oklahoma City; Harry H. Williamson, Fort Gibson; Martin I. Zofness, Bartlesville. Mr. W. J. Peterson moved that they be accepted. Motion was seconded by Judge William P. Thompson, which carried.

The President requested Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, vice president, to take the chair.

Judge R. L. Williams called attention to the fact that the spot where Alexander Posey, the Creek poet, died, has never been marked.

Mrs. Jessie E. Moore discussed the commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of the coming of the Chickasaws to this country. Judge R. L. Williams moved that a committee of three be appointed to take steps to have articles prepared commemorating this anniversary, and furnish same to the editorial committee for approval for publication in the December number of Chronicles. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Baxter Taylor, chairman of the library and museum committee, presented a request for the purchase of markers for pictures amounting to $26.80 and for small printed markers for articles in the museum amounting to $29.00. Gen. William S. Key moved that these markers be pur-

Page 496

chased and paid for out of the State appropriation. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. A. Hefner, chairman of the committee to pass on the manuscript prepared by Winifred Clark, purporting to be a copy of the Seminole laws, read his report. Judge R. L. Williams moved that we request this committee to file this report with the typewritten copy of the Seminole laws and place them in the archives of the Society, and that the Treasurer be authorized to issue check for $15.00 out of the private funds of the Society to pay Winifred Clark for her work in typing the manuscript. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Thomas H. Doyle tendered a document from the citizens of Bartlesville, in which they presented to the Oklahoma Historical Society a tablet commemorating the discovery of the "first commercial oil well" April 15, 1897, in Johnstone Park at Bartlesville.1

The Secretary read a petition from Mrs. Mabel Carrico Holtzschue, President of the '89ers Association, requesting that a room be set aside or a place designated in the Historical building, where the '89ers Association may place their pictures, documents, and museum pieces to be exhibited as property of the '89ers Association. Judge R. L. Williams moved that we provide a place for their exhibit and display same as a gift from the '89ers Association if they will turn same over to be held as the property of the Historical Society. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Secretary reported that Judge J. R. Keaton had promised to present to the Society an Indian beaded papoose cradle. Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Secretary be instructed to secure this cradle. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Secretary read a letter from Mrs. Lottie J. Francis, executrix of the estate of the late J. L. Francis, regarding an old grandfather clock that her husband had lent to the Society and asked that the missing parts be replaced and the clock returned. Dr. J. B. Thoburn moved that the clock be assembled and the Secretary be instructed to write to Mrs. Francis and tell her she is at liberty to call for the clock and remove it from the Historical building. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman presented the matter of expenses incurred in connection with the University of Oklahoma for the Indian-Pioneer History project, in which the University was to bear one-half of the expenses for supplies, and reported that President W. B. Bizzell had sent in a check for $54.50, the University's part of the cost of supplies, and moved that the Secretary be instructed to endorse this check to Stanley Clark, director of the Indian-Pioneer History project to be used in partial payment for supplies. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. J. B. Thoburn discussed his writings on archaeology and the advisability of having them published in Chronicles of Oklahoma, and also having these articles appear as separates or monographs.

Judge R. A. Hefner moved that a committee of three persons who have had actual experience in printing and publishing be appointed to confer with the State Board of Affairs in the matter of arranging for the Society's publications. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Chair called attention to an unpaid typewriter bill for July and August, 1937, the closing months of the second WPA project for the His-



photo

Page 497

torical Society, amounting to $42.75. Dr. Grant Foreman moved that this claim be allowed out of the $400.00 that had been set aside for the WPA project at the July Board meeting. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, of the library and museum committee, explained the need for more cases for the museum, and moved that two tall double cases be purchased for the museum, at a cost of $525.90 each. Motion was seconded and carried.

The meeting stood adjourned.

Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President,
Presiding.

James W. Moffitt, Secretary.

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site