The annual meeting of the Oklahoma Historical Society was held in the court room of the Court of Criminal Appeals in the Capitol in the afternoon of Tuesday, February 5th with the largest attendance of any meeting yet held by the Society. The reports of officers were rendered and read and will be printed and distributed among the members.
The following new members were elected: Life, Hon. Phil. D. Brewer, Hon. John Embry, Hon. W. A. Ledbetter, Mrs. W. A. Ledbetter, Hon. George B. Rittenhouse and Guy R. Moore all of Oklahoma City, and Miss Emma E. Christian of Hartshorne; Annual, Charles W. Briles, Walter C. Burnham, B. E. Clark, Max L. Cunningham, Mrs. Jennie Dahlgren, W. P. Danford, Stanley C. Draper, W. C. Geers, E. B. Hinshaw, Mrs. W. A. Jackson, G. Samuel Johnson, J. S. Kerfoot, Ray V. Lindsay, Hyla Florence Long, William C. McAllister, Byron C. Rauch, Mrs. Ray Campbell Riley, Mrs. J. P. Slaughter, Henry G. Snyder, Mrs. Grant Stanley, Sidney Ray Warden, Frederick B. Owen, J. O. Parr, all of Oklahoma City, W. A. Adams, Moorewood, Ralph H. Berry, Tulsa; Mrs. G. A. Brown, Blackwell; Mrs. C. H. Cafky, Forgan; Newton R. Graham, Tulsa; Frank Crawford Hays, Tulsa; E. Fred Johnson, Tulsa; Mrs. M. D. Libby, El Reno; W. D. McBee, Duncan; Mrs. George Metcalf, McAlester; Caswell S. Neal, Poteau; Henry G. Ryan, Red Rock; Ray O. Weems, Sallisaw; and Frank Korn, El Reno.
In the election of directors, Dr. J. S. Buchanan of the University of Oklahoma and Judge Robert L. Williams of Muskogee were re-elected. Charles F. Colcord, of Oklahoma City, Grant Foreman of Muskogee and Mrs Blanche F. Lucas of Ponca City were elected as new directors for the ensuing five year term.
On behalf of himself and other friends, mostly members of the Oklahoma State Medical Association, Judge Robert L. Williams presented an oil portrait of the late Dr. John W. Duke who was a prominent physician of Guthrie and who was Commissioner of Health from 1915 to 1919.
The program prepared for the occasion included the following: A reminiscent address from Arthur W. Dunham of Galveston, Texas who, as a boy in his ’teens, served as railroad agent for the Santa Fe Railroad Co., at Oklahoma City from February, 1888, until nearly ten years later. Mr. Charles F. Colcord, a well known pioneer and oil operator, gave a brief address, relating some of his experiences as a ranchman before Oklahoma was opened to settlement and as a peace officer during the period when conditions were still somewhat turbulent in Oklahoma Territory. Mr. Grant Foreman, of Muskogee, read a paper on "The Three Forks" which was the term applied to the region immediately surrounding the mouths of the Grand and Verdigris rivers, including the sites of the present cities of Muskogee, Fort Gibson and Wagoner, from the beginning of the 19th century down to about 1835. Guy R. Moore of Oklahoma City was introduced and his paper, entitled "The Pawnee Indians," was read by title. Most of these papers are published by the Society in this issue of Chronicles of Oklahoma. Dr. E. E. Dale of the University of Oklahoma also addressed the meeting briefly and informally.
At the meeting of the board of directors following the adjournment of the meeting of the Society, the old officers were re-elected and all the employees were continued.
Messers. Paul Nesbitt and Grant Foreman and Mrs. Emma A. Estill were named as members of the committee on publications.
Notices were given of three proposed amendments to the constitution of the Society, two of which relate to the date of the holding of the annual meeting and the other relating to the eligibility of the president to re-election.