Washington : Government Printing Office
By virtue of the authority vested in the President, and pursuant to Executive Order No. 9337 of April 24, 1943, it is ordered as follows:
Subject to valid existing rights and to existing withdrawals, the following described public lands in Alaska are hereby temporarily withdrawn from settlement, location, sale, or entry and reserved for the purpose of classification and proposed designation under section 2 of the act of May 1, 1936, 49 Stat. 1250 (U.S.C., Title 48, sec. 358a), as a native reservation for the use and occupancy of the native inhabitants of the native village of Barrow and vicinity, Alaska:
Beginning at a point on the Arctic Ocean 30 miles southwest of Point Barrow, air line, approximate latitude 71°05'27" N., approximate longitude 157°10' W., running thence in a southeasterly direction of McTavish Point; thence following along the coast of Dease Inlet, Elson Lagoon, and the Arctic Ocean, including Point Barrow, to the place of beginning, and including the waters adjacent to the above-described area extending 3,000 feet from the shore at mean low tide, all as shown on the Reconnaissance Map of Northwestern Alaska, 1930, prepared by the United States Geological Survey in cooperation with the Bureau of Engineering, Department of the Navy, containing approximately 750 square miles of land and approximately 50 square miles of water.
Subject to valid existing rights and to existing withdrawals, the following described public lands in Alaska are hereby temporarily withdrawn from settlement, location, sale, or entry and reserved for the purpose of classification and proposed designation under section 2 of the act of May 1, 1936, 49 Stat. 1250 (U.S.C., Title 48, sec. 358a), as a native reservation for the use and occupancy of the native inhabitants of the native village of Klukwan, and vicinity, Alaska:
The tract of land at Klukwan, near the mouth of the Chilkat River, near latitude 59°30', longitude 136°, that was reserved and set apart for educational purposes by Executive Order of May 4, 1907, containing approximately 0.16 of an acre:
The lands on the left bank of Chilkat River included in Sec. 32, S ½ Sec. 33, SW ¼ Sec. 34, T. 28 S., R. 56 E.; NW ¼ Sec. 5, NE ¼ Sec. 6, T. 29 S., R. 57 E., Copper River Base and Meridian, that were reserved for the use of the natives of Alaska residing then or thereafter at the Village of Klukwan by Executive Order No. 1764, of April 21, 1913, as modified by Executive Order No. 3673, of May 15, 1922, containing approximately 800 acres;
The N ½ Sec. 33, T. 28 S., R. 56 E., Copper River Base and Meridian, that was reserved for school, health, and other purposes by Secretarial Order of April 27, 1943, issued pursuant to authority contained in the Act of May 31, 1938 (52 Stat. 593), containing 320 acres; and,
The area described as: Beginning at a point on the divide between the stream flowing into Chilkat Lake and the stream flowing into the Takhin River, approximate latitude 135°46'30" W., approximately longitude 59°17'06" N. This point is approximately 1 3/4 miles south from the right bank of the Chilkat River as shown on sheet No. 9, International Boundary between United States and Canada, 1923 Edition. Thence following down right bank of stream to Chilkat Lake; thence along easterly shore of Chilkat Lake and stream to the Salmon River; thence along right bank of Salmon River to the Chilkat River; thence southeasterly along right bank of said river to a point due north of the place of beginning; thence south approximately 1 3/4 miles to initial point, containing approximately 12,800 acres.
OSCAR L. CHAPMAN,
Acting Secretary of the Interior.