Washington : Government Printing Office
|Chap. 400||64 Stat. 967.
20 U. S. C. 251-255, 271-280.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the Act of September 23, 1950 (Public Law 815, Eighty-first Congress), is amended by adding at the end thereof the following new titles:
"SEC. 301. The purpose of this title is to provide assistance for the construction of urgently needed minimum school facilities in school districts which, since the school year 1951-1952, have had substantial increases in school membership as a result of new or increased Federal activities. There are hereby authorized to be appropriated for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1954, and the succeeding fiscal year such sums as the Congress may determine to be necessary for such purpose.
"SEC. 310. In the case of children who, it is estimated, will reside on Federal property June 30, 1954—
"(1) if no tax revenues of the State or any political subdivision thereof may be expended for the free public education of such children; or
"(2) if it is the judgment of the Commissioner, after he has consulted with the appropriate State educational agency, that no local educational agency is able to provide suitable free public education for such children,
the Commissioner shall make arrangements for constructing or otherwise providing the minimum school facilities necessary for the education of such children. To the maximum extent practicable school facilities provided under this section shall be comparable to minimum school facilities provided for children in comparable communities in the State. This section shall not apply (A) to children who reside on Federal property under the control of the Atomic Energy Commission, and (B) to Indian children attending Federally-operated Indian schools. Whenever it will be necessary for the Commissioner to provide school facilities for children residing on Federal property under this section, the membership of such children may not be included in computing under section 305 the maximum on the total of the payments for any local educational agency.
Approved, August 8, 1953.