Washington : Government Printing Office
|Public Law 85-857||Veterans' Benefits. Enactment as Title 38, U.S. Code. Ante, p. 936.|
|Public Law 85-857||1133|
|Public Law 85-857||1134|
|Public Law 85-857||1135|
|Public Law 85-857||1137|
|Public Law 85-857||1264|
|Sec. 14||71 Stat. 88.
Ante, pp. 608, 624.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the laws relating to veterans' benefits are revised, codified, and enacted as title 38, United States Code, "Veterans' Benefits", as follows:
§ 501. DEFINITIONS
For the purposes of this chapter—
(1) The term "Indian Wars" means the campaigns, engagements, and expeditions of the United States military forces against Indian tribes or nations, service in which has been recognized heretofore as pensionable service.
§ 511. INDIAN WAR VETERANS
(a) The Administrator shall pay to each veteran of the Indian Wars who meets the service requirements of this section a pension at the following monthly rate:
(1) $101.59; or
(2) $135.45 if the veteran is in need of regular aid and attendance.
(b) A veteran meets the service requirements of this section if he served in one of the Indian Wars—
(1) for thirty days or more; or
(2) for the duration of such Indian War; in any military organization, whether or not such service was the result of regular muster into the service of the United States, if such service was under the authority or by the approval of the United States or any State.
§ 534. WIDOWS OF INDIAN WAR VETERANS
(a) The Administrator shall pay to tile widow of each Indian War veteran who met the service requirements of section 511 of this title a pension at the following monthly rate:
(1) $40.64 if she is below seventy years of age; or
(2) $65 if she is seventy years of age or older;
unless she was the wife of the veteran during his service in one of the Indian Wars, in which case the monthly rate shall be $75.
(b) If there is a child of the veteran, the rate of pension paid to the widow under subsection (a) shall be increased by $8.13 per month for each such child.
c) No pension shall be paid to a widow of a veteran under this section unless she was married to him—
(1) before March 4, 1917; or
(2) for five or more years; or
(3) for any period of time if a child was born of the marriage.
§ 535. CHILDREN OF INDIAN WAR VETERANS
Whenever there is no widow entitled to pension under section 534 of this title, the Administrator shall pay to the children of each Indian War veteran who met the service requirements of section 511 of this title a pension at the monthly rate of $73.13 for one child, plus $8.13 for each additional child, with the total amount equally divided.
(n) The Act of August 4, 1947 (61 Stat. 747; 25 U. S. C. 331 note) is amended (1) by inserting "or chapter 37 of title 38, United States Code" immediately after "Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944" and (2) by inserting "or chapter 37" immediately after "such title III".
The following provisions of law are repealed, except with respect to rights and duties that matured, penalties, liabilities, and forfeitures that were incurred, and proceedings that were begun, before January 1, 1959:
(117) The Veterans' Benefits Act of 1957 (except title XXII) (38 U. S. C. 2101-4008), except that the repeal of sections 235 and 1413 (b) and (c) of such Act shall not take effect in such manner as to impair the operation of the deferred repeal of such sections as provided in section 21 of the Government Employees Training Act (72 Stat. 338).
Approved, September 2, 1958.