Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 20, No. 2
JUDGE JERRY ROWLAND DEAN
Jerry Rowland Dean, son of Thomas Holman Dean and his wife, Melinda Rowland Dean, was born at Mortonsville, Ky. (Woodford
County) on April 10, 1841. His grandfather, James Dean, having served on side of the Colonies in the Revolutionary War, settled
in Kentucky (Jessamine County) in 1783.
Judge Dean and Elizabeth Arnold Dale, who died at Woodward, Okla. on May 1, 1910, were married in Woodford County, Kentucky
in December, 1864.
He was educated in the local schools of Woodford County, including Thornton Academy, which he attended for two years, and
taught school for three years, studied law, and was admitted to the bar and in 1872 removed to McPherson, Kansas, where he
engaged in the practice of law and later removed to Deaf Smith County, Texas, and participated in its organization and was
its first County Judge, and served one term from that district in the lower house of the Texas Legislature.
In 1861 he enlisted in Co. G, 21st Ky. Regiment, U. S. A., and after battle of Stone River became its 2nd Lieutenant, and
in that capacity served until close of the Civil War.
To him and his wife were born eleven children, nine of whom survived him: Thomas H. Dean, Amorita, Oklahoma; S. Elmore Dean,
641 S. Church Ave., Bozeman, Mont.; William Thornton Dean, Oakland, Calif.; Mrs. J. J. Long, 922 N. Euclid Ave., El Dorado,
Ark.; Mrs. C. J. E. Lowndes, 1609 Van Buren St., Amarillo, Texas; Mrs. Harry F. Miller, 3697 Lugo St., Lynwood, Cal., and
Mrs. H. H. Alexander, 1207 N. W. 26th St., Oklahoma City, Okla. The following children are now deceased: Mrs. J. C. Matthews
(died Aug. 20, 1925), Newton Dale Dean (died Fairview, Mont., Dec. 24, 1938), Charles H. Dean (died Nevada, Nov. 1904), and
Jerry Rowland Dean, (died at McPherson, Kansas, infant in 1875).
At the opening of the Cherokee Outlet he came to Woodward where he resided and practiced law until failing health compelled
his retirement. The end came at noon, Sunday, July 1, 1917, when he passed peaceably away.1 As an honored citizen of the city, county and state, with an active interest in public affairs, a speaker and orator of unusual
ability and a leading member of the bar and a member of the local G. A. R. organization, and faithful member of the Methodist
Church and actively affiliated with the Democratic party, and a fine citizen, he will be remembered.
—R. L. Williams.
JAMES S. LATIMER
James S. Latimer, born in Linn County, Kansas on December 10, 1855, the son of Dr. George W. Latimer and his wife, Nancy B.
Cowan Latimer, passed away on October 30, 1941, with funeral services on November 2, 1941 at Wilburton.
He was married to Miss Allie Brashears on September 6, 1893, and had the following children by her, to-wit: Winifred, Alvin
L., of McAlester, Oklahoma, and Marie Kathleen Latimer, and Mrs. P. O. Ferguson, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and the following
sisters, to-wit: Mrs. Ida Fulter, of Wilburton, Oklahoma, Mrs. Mary F. Castleberry and Mrs. Della Griffey, of Booneville,
Arkansas, and a brother, Marvin G. Latimer, of Patterson, Oklahoma. His maternal grandfather was born in Tennessee and came
Webster County, Missouri and settled whilst a young man, and his paternal grandfather also was a pioneer settler in the same
county. His father and mother are buried at Springdale, Washington County, Arkansas.
He began his schooling near Marshfield, Missouri, and finished same at the Fort Smith highschool. He clerked in a drug store
at Booneville, Arkansas, and for several years followed railroad work, and for a time served as operator in the office of
the Superintendent of the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad at McAlester, and as station agent and operator at Red Oak,
Fanshawe, and Wilburton. In later years he engaged in farming and stock raising.
He was elected from District No. 99 as a delegate on the democratic ticket to the convention to frame a Constitution for the
state of Oklahoma and served on the following committees: Private Corporations, Public Roads and Highways, Primary Elections,
Mines, Mining, Oil and Gas. The county of Latimer was named by the convention for him.
He had resided in Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Indian Territory and then the state of Oklahoma.
He was of English ancestry, and a member of Wilburton Lodge No. 108, A. F. and A. M.1
He passed away at a ripe old age in his eighty-seventh year, and had been well respected in all communities in which he had
—R. L. Williams.
JOHN HENDERSON HINTON, Jr.
John Henderson Hinton, Jr., son of John Henderson Hinton, Sr., and his wife, Elizabeth Duke Hinton, was born January 15, 1853
at Tuscaloosa, Alabama, his grandfather having come from England as a sea captain, landed at Charleston, S. C.
John Henderson Hinton, Jr., having been educated in tire local schools at Tuscaloosa, settled at Pocola, Choctaw Nation, Indian
Territory, about 12 miles from Fort Smith, Ark., about 1880, at which place he was postmaster and engaged in the mercantile
business from about 1881 until 1900 when, after the construction of the Kansas City Southern Railroad from Kansas City, he
moved to Spiro and there engaged in the mercantile business and farming.
At the election held September 17, 1907 as to the ratification of the proposed constitution for the state of Oklahoma, he
was elected on the Democratic ticket as county treasurer of LeFlore County for the term expiring in January, 1911; and at
the general election in November, 1910, was re-elected for the term expiring in January, 1913, after which he moved to a point
nearby and continued his farming enterprise.
He was married December 22, 1882 to Miss Lillie Belle Hickman, who died January 29, 1927. To this union came the following
children, who survive him, to-wit: Walter Hinton, Fort Smith, Ark.; Sam Hinton, Poteau; Roy Hinton, Henryetta; Mrs. R. C.
(Ora) Kobel, Fort Smith, Ark.; Mrs. Eugenia Luton, Muskogee; Mrs. Alice Troy, Muskogee; Mrs. Ozie Guthrie, Fort Smith; and
Champ Hinton, Fort Smith, Ark., and Doris Hinton, Tulsa. Another son predeceased him in 1926, to-wit, Horace H. Hinton, and
another son, John Kirby Hinton, survived him and died in 1940.
He was a member of the Baptist Church and a Mason, having been made a Master Mason at Ross Lodge No. 15, Scullyville, Indian
Territory, and was a charter member of Murrow Lodge No. 49, Spiro, Indian Territory, of which he was the first Worshipful
Master, and died Sept. 7, 1931.
A fine citizen has passed from this earthly sphere.
—R. L. Williams.
FRED W. HOLMES
Fred W. Holmes was born February 8, 1876 in Grand Prairie, Kansas, the son of Thomas Weston Holmes and Annie Elizabeth Holmes,
nee Ranahaw. He died at Sayre, Oklahoma, on January 12, 1942. His life was one of eventful service and he witnessed the progress
of Oklahoma from the days of Indian Territory to a time when it had taken its place among the chosen industrial states of
the union. His parents, who came to America from England on their honeymoon and remained here to make their home, were among
the early settlers who made the run into Oklahoma and as a small boy Fred witnessed the run to the Cherokee Outlet two and
a half miles north of Hennessey. A year or two later he also saw the run to the Cheyenne and Arapaho country eight miles northwest
His education began in a one-room country school. He later attended Central State Teachers College at Edmond, Oklahoma, then
was graduated from Stone's Watchmaking and Optical College, St. Paul, Minnesota. He opened a watch repair shop at Twin Valley,
Minnesota, immediately after his graduation.
The life history of Mr. Holmes is a story of success. In February of 1905 he opened a watch repair shop in Sayre, Oklahoma,
gradually adding a few pieces of jewelry and watches to make up a stock. His shop was in a small, rented frame building and
until he was able to buy a safe he carried his stock, together with what repaired watches he had on hand, to his home each
night for safekeeping. Some two or three years after opening his shop, he purchased some optical equipment and began fitting
glasses. From this modest beginning he built a business which enabled him, in 1923, to construct a two-story building in which
his shop was located until his death, at which time he operated one of the most complete jewelry and optical firms in western
He was married in 1923 to Miss Rhea Thompson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Thompson of Cheyenne, Oklahoma. One child, Fred,
Jr., blessed this marriage in the year 1928.
Mr. Holmes was long associated with all major enterprises of his city and played an important part in civic and church activities.
He had served two terms as mayor of Sayre, twice as president of the Sayre chamber of commerce and in 1928 was given the honor
of being chosen Sayre's most useful citizen. He likewise served terms as president of both the state optical and state jewelers
associations. He was a charter member of the Sayre Rotary club and also of the Odd Fellows lodge, besides being a member of
the Sayre Masonic lodge and of the Shrine in Oklahoma City.
Funeral services were conducted at the First Methodist church in Sayre on January 13, 1942, with the Rev. Paul Hively, pastor
of the church, in charge. The huge concourse of friends, together with an altar banked with flowers, gave mute testimony to
his popularity and the high esteem with which he was held by all who knew him. Burial was in the Sayre-Doxey cemetery.
He is survived by his wife and son, also two brothers, E. B. Holmes and George R. Holmes, both of Hennessey.
Always a true friend, the fine manner in which he accepted and discharged his duties as a citizen, as a husband and as a father,
distinguished Mr. Holmes as an outstanding example of loyalty and devotion. It is a source of consolation to his widow and
son that he was able to carry on in the work he loved until death knocked softly at his door.
DAVID LAWSON FAULK
David Lawson Faulk, son of John Monroe Faulk and his wife, Sarah Ann Faulk, was born in Tallapoosa County, Alabama on December
7, 1867 and came to the Indian Territory in the year 1887, locating near what is now Oakland, Oklahoma, then in the Chickasaw
Nation, and engaged in farming, stock-raising and in operating a store and gin. He was a successful farmer, stockman, and
On January 10, 1894 he was married to Emma Jane Little near Cliff in the Chickasaw Nation.
He was a member of the 10th (1925), 11th (1927), 12th (1929), and 13th (1941) legislatures—(1925-1931, inclusive).
He died on March 9, 1941, with interment at Kingston. His wife and the following children surviving him: John Samuel, David
Lee, Nola B., Sterling Pryor, and Eva Irene. He was also survived by the following grandchildren: James Boyd Faulk, Joseph
Hugh Faulk, Grace Marie Faulk Coons, Hazel Faulk Vessell, Helen Faulk, Samuel Glenn Faulk, Lettie Jean Faulk, Byrle Nadine
Faulk, Harold David Faulk, Terry Reece Faulk, Nola Rebecca Faulk, Betty June Faulk, Kenneth Wayne Faulk, Wanda Joy Faulk,
Fern Irene Faulk, Donnie Ray Faulk, Jimmie Dale Faulk, Larry Neal Faulk, and Antoinette Fillian, and by a grandchild, Evelyn
He was a member of the Baptist Church and actively identified with the Democratic party. A devoted husband and father and
a good citizen and loyal friend, and a patriotic public servant has passed from this world's surroundings.
—R. L. Williams.
Return to top
Electronic Publishing Center |
OSU Home |
Search this Site