Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 19, No. 4
DR. EVERETT G. NEWELL
By Robert L. Williams
Dr. Everett G. Newell, born on a farm near Nevada, Missouri on January 10, 1870, son of John Franklin Newell and his wife,
Nancy (Hudson) Newell. His paternal grandfather was William H. Newell, and paternal grandmother a Miss Vaught, and his maternal
grandfather Joseph Hudson, and maternal grandmother, Sallie Young.
He was educated in the local schools at Nevada, Missouri and graduated in medicine from the Beaumont Medical College in 1893,
later absorbed by the University of St. Louis, Missouri. He engaged in the practice of medicine at Neosho, Missouri, and removed
to Oklahoma Territory in 1895, first locating at Jennings in Pawnee County, where he was licensed to practice medicine in
said Territory under the Act, of 1893.
In the winter of 1902-1903 he removed to Yale in Payne County, participating in platting and ownership of the townsite, and
organization of its first bank, and the institution of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. lodges in Yale, and became its first
Mayor, and in addition to being active in the practice of medicine, aided in many civic efforts for the betterment of the
For eight years (1908-1915, inclusive) he was superintendent of the State Insane Hospital at Supply, Oklahoma.
He was a leader in his profession, and active in the Methodist church and the Democratic party.
On March 30, 1895 he and Miss Pearl Jane Hyder were married.
He was elected from District No. 19 on the Democratic ticket as a delegate to the Convention to frame a Constitution for the
proposed state of Oklahoma and served on the following committees: (1) State and School Lands, (2) Public Debt and Public
Works, (3) Schedule, and (4) Board of Public Health.
He died on December 17, 1930, interment in the Lawson Cemetery at Yale, with the funeral from the Methodist Church, survived
by his wife and the following children: John C., Tonkawa; William C., Yale; Mrs. B. Million, Woodward; Mrs. Beatrice Josey,
Dallas,1 to all of whom he was devoted and faithful.
R. L. Williams
CHARLES HOLLAND PITTMAN
By Robert L. Williams
Charles Holland Pittman, born in Webster County, Mississippi on June 8, 1871, was son of John Wesley Pittman and his wife,
Ellen Bradford Pittman, his paternal grandfather being John Harkey Pittman, and great-grandfather, Matthew Pittman, and paternal
grandmother, Mary Arena Halsey, and paternal great-grandmother, Sarah Harkey, and maternal grandfather, George S. Bradford,
and maternal grandmother, Mary Kent, daughter of Smith H. Kent. His ancestors were school teachers, ministers, physicians
He was educated in a private school taught by Maluina S. Ward, and the public schools at Walthall and the Walthall Normal
College at Walthall, Mississippi. As an itinerant preacher and member of the North Mississippi Conference of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, he held charges at Corinth, Rosedale, Shelby, and Charleston, Mississippi.
He was married on April 30, 1891 to Luticia Matthews near Winona, Mississippi.
He removed to Oklahoma Territory in 1900, locating at Enid, and engaged in the real estate business and the practice of the
law, and at different times thereafter was engaged in farming, and also in the mercantile and oil business at Muskogee and
In 1906 he was elected from District 11 in Garfield County, usually a Republican District, on the Democratic ticket as a member
of the Convention to frame a Constitution for the proposed state of Oklahoma. At said convention he became closely associated
with William H. Murray, its president, and later when Murray became governor and caused Pittman to become secretary of the
election board, the two had a disagreement and Pittman retired from said position.
In the Constitutional Convention he served on the following committees: (1) Convention Officers and Employees, (2) Rules and
Procedure, (3) Judiciary and Judicial Department, (4) Public Institutions, (5) Primary Elections, (6) Insurance, (7) Contests,
(8) Legislative Apportionment (chairman), (9) Steering Committee, and (10) Committee of the Whole (chairman).
During the session of the first Legislature he was Chief Clerk of the House.
He had an active career during his life in Oklahoma as an attorney, in real estate and oil business, and as a politician.
Prior to his death he had been deputy state securities commissioner. During his boyhood in Mississippi he had served as the
"eyes" for Senator Tom Gore in reading and gathering information for the blind youth who later became a United States Senator.
In response to a questionnaire that was sent to Pittman during his lifetime, inquiring as to facts or circumstances that would
be relevant or important to be incorporated into a condensed necrological biography to preserve his name in the history of
Oklahoma, his answer was: "Nothing important, the brief and simple annals of the poor. He lived, married, had offspring and
He died in Enid on June 22, 1936,1 survived by his wife; four daughters, Mrs. Charles Hetherington, Muskogee; Mrs. Charles E. Helvenston, Muskogee; Mrs. C.
H. Straight, Omaha, Nebraska, and Mrs. V. S. Kershner, Enid; a stepson, John E. Ashworth; two sisters, Mrs. Judge Stewart
of Embres, Mississippi, and Mrs. Anna Miller of Crenshaw, Mississippi; and two brothers, Dr. Judge Pittman of Crenshaw, Mississippi,
and Marvin Pittman of Atlanta, Georgia.
R. L. Williams
DR. JAMES LAFAYETTE SHULER
Dr. James Lafayette Shuler, born at Adairsville, Georgia on January 28, 1860, was the son of John Shuler and his wife, Matilda
Hill. His maternal grandfather was Ladson Frazier Hickman, and maternal grandmother was Rebecca Josephine Ross.
In the 1880's, with his father and mother he came from near Cartersville, Georgia and settled on a farm near Hackett City,
Arkansas, and he received his primary education at the local schools in the community in
which he lived in Georgia and in Arkansas. His medical education was received in the Medical Department of the Arkansas Industrial
University (Little Rock), now the University of Arkansas School of Medicine, in 1887 graduating with the degree of Doctor
of Medicine. He was licensed to practice medicine in Oklahoma under the Act of 1908. Prior to that time he had been licensed
under the laws in force in the Choctaw Nation. He was a member of his local and state medical societies and a Fellow of the
American Medical Association, secretary and past President of the Bryan County, Oklahoma Medical Society, and Medical Director
of the Bryan County Hospital.
After his graduation he practiced medicine in the Choctaw Nation at Pocola and removed to Cameron in 1895 where he engaged
in the practice of medicine until 1901, when he removed to Durant and continued in the practice of medicine until his death
on August 24, 1939 at Hobbs, N. M., where he was on a visit to his son.
Funeral services were held on August 26, 1939 from the First Methodist Church of Durant, Oklahoma, Rev. W. L. Broome and Rev.
W. L. Blackburn officiating, interment being in Highland Cemetery at Durant.
He was married on January 11, 1896 at Pocola in the Choctaw Nation to Lucy A. Hickman, who together with their son, Dr. Ashley
Cooper Shuler, who resides at Hobbs, N. M., survive him.
Dr. Shuler was an active and leading member of organized medicine in Oklahoma. After his location in Durant in 1901 he served
as President of the State and County Societies, and at the time of his death was Secretary of the County Society. For many
years he was Councilor of the State Medical Association and served as President in 1912. He had devoted his time and talent
liberally in the support of his profession. He was a member of the Masonic Order, holding membership in the Blue Lodge, Knight's
Templar, Scottish Rite, and Shrine, and had from his youth been an active and consistent member of the Methodist Church and
a supporter of the Democratic Party, and of local civic enterprises.
A devoted husband and father and a good citizen has passed away.
R. L. Williams
DR. HENRY BUCHANAN FUSTON
Dr. Henry Buchanan Fuston, born November 25, 1885, at Smithville, De Kalb County, Tennessee, was son of James Fuston and his
wife, Paralee (Cubbins) Fuston, and grandson of Dr. John A. Fuston, and his wife, Martha Leroy (Allen) Fuston, who were born
in Cannon County, Tennessee.
Dr. Henry Buchanan Fuston was married on December 24, 1908 to Nancy V. Adcock, and came to Oklahoma and located at Blue, in
Bryan County, Oklahoma, on January 4, 1910, where he engaged in the general practice of medicine until January 1, 1915, when
he removed his residence to Bokchito and continued in the practice of his profession of medicine until his death on February
22, 1941; interment in Highland Cemetery at Durant, Oklahoma.
He is survived by his wife and two children, to-wit: a son, Ehrlix H. Fuston of Bokchito, Oklahoma, and a daughter, Mrs. Jalasca
Randle, and the following brothers: W. L. D. Fuston, of Smithville; Bass Fuston, of McMinnville; and Dell Fuston, of Murfreesboro,
Tennessee. Four brothers and sisters predeceased him, to-wit: John, Monroe, Nancy, and Paralee.
He received his academic education at Dibrell College in Warren County, Tennessee, and his medical education at the University
of Nashville, Tennessee, afterwards absorbed by the University of Tennessee, graduating with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
Dr. Fuston was licensed to practice medicine in Tennessee in 1909, with his address as Smithville, De Kalb County, Tennessee,
and in Oklahoma in 1910, with address as Blue, Bryan County, Oklahoma.
In 1925 he was designated as a Captain in the United States Army Medical Reserve Corps.
In 1935, 1936 and 1937 he was County Health Officer of Bryan County, Oklahoma. He was a past President of the Bryan County
Medical Society, and a member of the Oklahoma State Medical Society and a Fellow of the American Medical Association.
A devoted husband and father, a leading citizen of his community and county, taking an active interest in all matters promoting
the public welfare; a Thirty-second degree Mason, member of the Christian Church, Democrat, and a good citizen; his place
in the walks of life is greatly missed.1
R. L. Williams
WILLIAM NICHOLS BARRY
William Nichols Barry, born September 9, 1879 at Caswell, Lafayette County, Mississippi, was son of Jesse Richard Barry (born
May 7, 1837 and died December 8, 1913, who was a planter and slave owner before the Civil War, and enlisted on June 10, 1861
at Oxford, Mississippi, for three years service in Confederate States Army, and was a sergeant in Company B, 1st Regiment
Mississippi Cavalry, the company muster roll for September and October, 1864, last on file, showing him "Absent, wounded July
28, 1864," and his name appears on a register of Floyd House and at Ocmulgee Hospitals, Macon, Georgia, "Flesh wound, G. S.
(gun shot), popliteal region, left leg, healing by granulation," and name on a roll of prisoners of war surrendered at Citronelle,
Alabama, by Lieut. Gen. R. Taylor, C. S. A., to Maj. Gen. E. R. S. Canby, U. S. A., May. 4, 1865, and paroled at Grenada,
Mississippi, May 20, 1865), and his wife, Ellen Elizabeth Nichols, born in 1849, died August 12, 1906, who was the daughter
of William Sumner Nichols, a prominent educator.
William Nichols Barry was educated in the private and public schools in Lafayette County, Mississippi.
An early ancestor was Andrew Barry, Scotch-Irish, who came first to Pennsylvania, and then about 1760 to Spartenburg, S. C.,
and served in the Revolutionary Army on side of the Colonies. His wife who came with him to South Carolina was Margaret Kathryn
Moore. They had a son by the name of Richard Barry, who married Margaret Kilgore, and they had a son by the name of Jesse
Richard Barry, who married Ellen Elizabeth Nichols, and their son, William Nichols Barry, married Eunice Inez Busby in Okemah,
Creek Nation, Indian Territory, on December 9, 1906, a daughter of Jasper D. Busby.
William Nichols Barry died on October 13, 1938, the funeral services being held at the First Presbyterian Church in Okemah,
Oklahoma, Rev. James W. McMillan, local pastor, and Rev. Graham Frasier of Cushing officiating; interment in Highland Cemetery
In 1903 when he was 23 years old, he came from Lafayette County, Mississippi to Okemah and entered the employment of John
D. Richards Hardware & Furniture Company. From Okemah he went to Paden in 1907 to engage in the hardware business with said
John D. Richards, and on January 1, 1911, returned to Okemah and established the Okemah Hardware Store, and Barry Funeral
Home, and also the Barry Chevrolet Company, and the Barry Oil Company, of Okemah, and Progressive Chevrolet Company of Henryetta,
all of which he owned at the time of his death. He first entered the banking business by acquiring an interest in the First
National Bank of Okemah, which afterwards was disposed of and in 1928 he acquired control of the Citizens State Bank of which
he was president at the time of his death.
He was a member of the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh (1915-21) and Twelfth (1929) legislatures of Oklahoma, and was a member of the
State Senate at the time of his death.
Beginning with the organization of the state government on November 16, 1907, he was a member of the Board of County Commissioners
of Okfuskee County, District No. 1, until in January, 1913, the first term extending to January, 1911, and the second term
to January, 1913.
At the time of his death he was an official member of the Presbyterian Church, and member of the Masonic Order, (Blue Lodge),
and of the Eastern Star, Knights of Pythias, Country Club, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce, Retail Merchants Association, and
Oklahoma Bankers' Association, and actively affiliated with the Democratic party from the time of reaching his majority.
He is survived by his wife and the following children: Lois Inez, married to Ralph R. Price, Okemah; William N. Barry, Jr.,
Okemah; Lillian, married to Harvey W. Powell, Holdenville; and the following children predeceased him: Eleanor Elizabeth Barry
and Eunice Louise Barry.
The following sisters survive him: Mrs. D. R. Park, Putnam, Texas; Mrs. Rice Park, Hernando, Mississippi; Mrs. E. D.Richmond,
Memphis, Tennessee; Mrs. H. C. Wait, Oxford, Mississippi; Mrs. R. E. Lee, Oxford, Mississippi; and Mrs. B. G. Leggette, Memphis,
A representative citizen of the old South, a loyal party man and friend, and an aggressive, public-spirited citizen, faithful
to his country, has passed from this earthly sphere.1
R. L. Williams
PAUL MARTIN GALLAWAY
The late Paul Martin Gallaway whose life correlated with the early growth of Tulsa and its environs, was a purposeful, self-reliant
character of heroic qualities. Northeastern Oklahoma makes an appreciative pause in his memory.
Mr. Gallaway was born at Memphis, Tennessee on March 13, 1873, being the eldest son of John Bell Gallaway, a native of Alabama
and Margaret Gallaway nee Martin who was a Mississippian. They were of an ancestry which reached back into Scotland and later
to an emigrant ancestry which landed in Virginia and the Carolinas. Four known ancestors fought in the Colonial armies in
our War of the Revolution. Young Gallaway initially attended the public schools at New Orleans where his father had entered
the service of the Southern Pacific Railroad and later at Fayetteville, Arkansas to which place his mother had removed to
educate her six children after the death of her husband. Shortly after his father passed away Paul became employed in janitor
service in the railroad offices at New Orleans, to assist his mother. The young man attended the Arkansas Industrial University,
now the University of Arkansas, at Fayetteville for one year being enabled to accomplish this by performing odd jobs on the
University campus. These gestures of his early boyhood days are indicative of the sustained efforts in his later life. At
the age of seventeen he became a bookkeeper for the Dallas Ice Company at Dallas, Texas. Success rewarded his efforts as he
successively became, secretary, vice-president and general manager of the Dallas Ice, Light and Power Company. He removed
Tulsa in 1906 and became manager of the Peoples Gas and Electric Company. In 1913, he assumed management of the Tulsa Water,
Light and Power Company which is recognized today as the Public Service Company of Oklahoma and one of the largest dispensers
of electric power in the Southwest. Mr. Gallaway organized the Tulsa Cold Storage Company.
In the civic life of Tulsa, Mr. Gallaway became a most engaging figure. He was an active member and director of the Chamber
of Commerce, was one of the founders and the first president of the Rotary Club, a Son of the American Revolution, a Son of
the Confederacy and of the Elks Society in which he functioned as Exalted Ruler of the Tulsa Lodge. He was an affiliate of
the Episcopal Church. There was no wavering in fidelity to his public engagements and he was recognized as a persuasive public
speaker but was not of the effervescent type. He grasped the significance of things, was in no sense a dreamer but represented
the type of man of larger affairs. The name of Paul M. Gallaway was linked most intimately with the public endeavors of Tulsa
during those formative years as he became an outstanding citizen. He was for many years an interested and valued member of
the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Fate moves mysteriously and, at times, tragically. Without premonition came the sudden but protracted illness of Mr. Gallaway
in 1919 which in the succeeding year occasioned his total loss of sight. It was a complete blackout and from this personal
tragedy there came no surcease. He regained his general health but with his blindness, life took on new complexities. The
door on yesterday apparently was closed but with calm resolve Paul M. Gallaway brushed aside the adverse situation. He evidenced
a philosophy of life which was not of the defeatist type and spurned all thought or suggestion of humiliation because of the
personal tragedy. In 1924, having quite fully recovered his health save his eyesight, he organized and managed the Consumers
Ice Company at Sand Springs which became the dominant ice distribution plant in that community. He preserved his civic, fraternal
and spiritual affiliations with the spirit of his former years. Although he carried a heavy cross, his ideals of life were
never lowered. The smile on his face bore no evidence of self-pity or remorse. He did not permit himself to become dispirited
but accepted the tragedy with heroic fortitude. He pressed boldly on to build anew and with marked success. Life to him was
a constant unfoldment and he bravely met life's challenge, seeking no preferred status because of his infirmity. The November,
1929 issue of Holland's magazine contains a sketch by Mr. Gallaway, which is of compelling interest. In this article which is appropriately entitled
"Yet I see Enough" he unfolds the entire story of his affliction and of the consequent battle he was waging.
The grim hand of Fate again struck and in April, 1936, Mr. Gallaway was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage. After weeks of
critical illness he was bourne to the home of his boyhood years at Fayetteville where he lingered an invalid for five years.
The days of his colorful life were soon to be concluded. On May 27, 1941, with a smile on his wearied face Paul Gallaway passed
on and into the Land where there is no Night. His tired body rests in the historic Evergreen Cemetery at Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Paul M. Gallaway was a genial, loveable and most highly respected character. His engaging talents were combined with genius.
He was broadminded which, combined with a flexible intellect, enabled him to grasp and interpret life's difficult problems.
The twenty-one years of his blindness and five years of invalidism were years of heroics which challenge the high regard and
esteem of those who knew him.
These roses we lay upon his life's altar.
John Bartlett Meserve.
SAMUEL E. GIDNEY
Judge Samuel E. Gidney was born in Shelby, North Carolina, on November 5, 1865. He died on June 18, 1941, in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
He was the son of Captain John W. and Mary McFarland Gidney, both of whom were natives of Cleveland County, North Carolina.
Captain Gidney served with great distinction and bravery at the head of his command as a Confederate Officer during the Civil
War. While so engaged, he was drafted and elected by the voters of his district as a member of the Legislature of North Carolina.
He was also an active leader in bringing order out of the chaos prevailing during the days of reconstruction. When reference
is made to the bravery of a soldier from North Carolina, in that great conflict between the States, it should be recalled
that North Carolina furnished more soldiers in proportion to her population than did any other state of the Union; that her
soldiers were the first at Manassas, the farthest at Gettysburg, and the last at Appomattox.
Samuel Gidney had the good fortune of being born into a Christian home, whose parents saw well to his early religious training.
As a young child he received a medal for his regular attendance at Sunday School. He joined the Church (Methodist) at an early
age and was an, active member, official, and worker in that organization until his death. He was a charter member of St. Paul's
Methodist Church of Muskogee, which was organized in 1903.
He grew to young manhood in the town of his birth and had the advantages of the schools of Shelby which were considered excellent
for a town of that size and following so soon after the severe hardships and devastation of the terrible conflict between
the States. After graduating from the town schools he entered the North Carolina State College where he distinguished himself
as a student and as a debater. His ability as a debater won for him more than one medal.
After leaving the University, he was elected Superintendent of the military school at Shelby; and, while he was engaged in
that work, the following named students received instruction under him: Hon. Max Gardner and Hon. Clyde R. Hoey, both former
Governors of North Carolina; Hon. Yates Webb, United States Federal District Judge.
While engaged in educational work in North Carolina and during the summer of 1888, he, together with other educators took
a trip abroad, their objective being a visit to the Holy Land. After reaching and touring the British Isles and the European
countries, their plans were unavoidably changed; and they had to return home without realizing their objective.
On April 28, 1891, he was united in marriage to Miss Susie T. Stephens of Shelby. The family connections on both sides of
this young couple were among the oldest and most prominent of that section of North Carolina, and close bonds of personal
friendship existed between those families. Of that marriage three children were born, John M. of Muskogee, Evelyn, now Mrs.
James D. Garrison, also of Muskogee, and Stephen Edwin, who died in childhood.
Soon after Judge Gidney's marriage, he and his young bride moved to Texas, first settling at Smithville in that State where
Judge Gidney was appointed Superintendent of Schools. Subsequently he filled the position of Superintendent of Schools at
Bartlett and Tyler, Texas. While in Texas, he became acquainted with and formed the friendship of our well-known citizen,
Philas S. Jones, a native of Kentucky, who was also engaged in school work in Texas, and who subsequently moved to Wilburton,
Oklahoma. He is now in active practice of law in Muskogee.
In 1903 when Judge Gidney located in Muskogee, then Indian Territory for the practice of law, he formed a partnership with
Benj. Martin. The style of the law firm being Martin and Gidney. This firm continued to
practice in the Federal Courts of Indian Territory for a number of years. After its dissolution, Judge Gidney continued practice
in Muskogee until his election as County Judge of Muskogee County in 1934. While in the general practice in Muskogee, he associated
with himself his son, John, who survives and is a practicing attorney in Muskogee at this time. Judge Gidney formed no other
partnerships during his practice of the law in Oklahoma.
For many years Judge Gidney was an active member and held important offices in the fraternal organization of the Knights of
Pythias. On several occasions, he attended, as a delegate and representative of his home lodge, the national conventions of
that brotherhood when it convened both in the United States and Canada.
After his election as County Judge in 1934 and on assuming the duties of the office in January following his election, he
was successively re-elected to that office in 1936, 1938, and 1940, and at each succeeding election with increased majority.
In the last election before his death, his majority was the largest of any elected one on the County ticket. He had only served
a few months of the term for which he was last elected when taken by death which occurred while he was sitting on the bench
Judge Gidney, by education and temperament, was well qualified to discharge the important duties of a County Judge. He was
painstaking, patient, kind, and considerate. His lectures and admonitions to wayward boys and girls and his kindness and considerateness
for them and his ever willingness to give them another chance to reform were most admirable. Not only did he discharge the
duties of his office with ability, patience, and kindness, but also with a degree of love for his work which is seldom surpassed
and perhaps infrequently equaled. With each succeeding year his popularity and efficiency in his office increased, and it
may well be said of him that his last days on earth were his best days.
Judge Gidney's home life was exemplary. Only a short time before his death, at his home in Muskogee, he celebrated the Golden
Anniversary of his marriage with the wife who walked hand in hand and side by side with him during the half century.
Judge Gidney had much capacity for work and throughout life he had been an active and industrious worker. He had the blessing
through life of good health and a cheerful, kind, patient temperament. The end came as he had expressed that it would come-while
he was still able to work and lead an active, useful life.
By Benjamin Martin
Return to top
Electronic Publishing Center |
OSU Home |
Search this Site