Edited by James W. Moffitt
The Institute of Historical Research of the University of London reports as follows:
In forwarding for your acceptance a copy of their Annual Report for 1939-40, the Committee of the Institute of Historical Research take the opportunity to describe its activities at the present moment. Although the library remains closed to readers, a small staff is still in daily attendance, and arrangements have been made, by the courtesy of the London School of Hygiene, for books and periodicals from the Institute to be consulted at the School. As in the past, the Institute's staff will do their best to answer enquiries on such matters as the bibliography of historical research and the location of manuscripts. It is hoped to publish the Bulletin of the Institute twice a year. The Theses Supplement will be suspended during the war, its place being taken by a list, to be printed in the Bulletin, of completed theses only; the Supplements to the Guide to Historical Publications of Societies of England and Wales will appear only in alternate years, beginning in 1942. Work on the main volume of this Guide is going forward. Work on the Victoria History of the Counties of England is also continuing, though only in respect of those counties (Oxfordshire, Sussex and Warwickshire) for which funds were raised locally before the outbreak of war. Enquiries about any of the foregoing matters, and requests for library facilities at the London School of Hygiene, should be addressed to the Secretary, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House, London, W. C. I.
The Oklahoma Historical Society, founded in 1893, is one of the oldest learned societies in the State. It has become a center for the discovery, preservation and dissemination of information relating to the history of Oklahoma, the Indians and the Southwest. Through its publications and especially in its service to scholars, in accumulating large collections of research materials, it has contributed much to the cultural life of our State. The friends and members of the Society are invited to contribute collections of family, political or business records, letters, diaries, newspapers, maps, prints, photographs and historical relics to the end that important historical materials relating to our history might be permanently preserved in the Society's fireproof building for the use and benefit of the public.
The Oklahoma Historical Society is fortunate in having as a life member, J. Garfield Buell, Tulsa, who has presented a bound file of eighteen volumes of The Chronicles of Oklahoma to the national library of the Sons of the American Revolution in Washington.
On October 23, 1941, Dr. Grant Foreman presented to the Oklahoma Historical Society the picture of the Reverend Jesse Bushyhead, the gift of Mrs. Callie McSpadden of Tahlequah. Dr. Foreman also enriched the Society's collections in giving to it a collection of "Adair Papers" which had been accumulated by Judge John H. Adair. A saddle blanket of Allyn K. Capron, Troop L, Rough Riders, which had been sent to Mrs. Carolyn Thomas Foreman by Captain Capron's mother for presentation to the Society was received. At this time, Judge Robert L. Williams, President, presented to the Society a photostat copy of a letter dated March 15, 1865, and a copy of another letter written September 2, 1864, by the father of P. A. Norris, Ada, to become a part of the Norris Collection. Another interesting gift came from Hon. J. B. Milam in the form of a gavel made of wood from the old Treaty Tree which stood in front of the Cherokee Capitol in Tahlequah, with a handle made of wood from the Old Female Seminary occupied in 1851. On behalf of Waddie Hudson, Muskogee, he presented a block of type set up to print "the Lord's Prayer" in Cherokee. Mrs. Blanche Lucas introduced Mrs. Emmett Thompson, Ponca City, who presented to the Society two group pictures of seven Kaw hereditary chieftains which she had obtained from the Catlin Collection in Washington City. A collection of books was added to the Historical Library by Mrs. Frank Korn as the gift of the Business and Professional Women's Club, El Reno.
During the period from June 1 to October 1, 1941, there were visitors in the Oklahoma Historical Society building from all of the States except Delaware, Vermont and Wyoming, with one hundred or more coming from Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, California, Arkansas and Louisiana. Every county in Oklahoma was represented ranging from three from Delaware County to 1,895 from Oklahoma County.
The attention of our readers is called to an article entitled "English Settlers in Illinois" by Dr. Grant Foreman, appearing in the September, 1941, issue of the Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society.
Berwyn, Oklahoma, became officially Gene Autry in honor of the radio and screen singing cowboy star at exercises in his honor on November 16, 1941.
An interesting article in The Army and Navy Courier, February-March, 1927, by Col. Martin L. Crimmins, U. S. A., Retired, entitled "The Border Command," relates the military history of Gen. David S. Stanley who was graduated from West Point in the class of 1852, which produced six major generals in the Civil War and four briga-
dier generals in the Confederate service. Young Stanley was the quartermaster and commissary of the surveying party of Lieut. A. W. Whipple, which left Fort Smith, July 24, 1853, and reached San Diego, California the following March. After service in Texas and duty in Kansas and Nebraska during the fights between the Abolitionists and Pro-Slavery parties Stanley arrived at Fort Arbuckle, Indian Territory, in October, 1858.
"...just prior to his arrival Major Earl Van Dorn, 2nd Cavalry (the present 5th Cavalry), had attacked a Comanche village at Wichita and Lieutenant Camp who had distinguished himself in fights around Camp Verde, Texas, was killed and Lieutenant Fitzhugh Lee was shot through the right lung and had to be carried in a horse litter 200 miles to Camp Radzminiski, Indian Territory.
"An active life on the frontier was kept up, to be succeeded by events that led up to the Civil War, and the saving of valuable supplies at Forts Smith, Washita, Arbuckle and Cobb and the march to Fort Leavenworth during which Lieutenant Stanley performed very creditable service. Then followed the Civil War and Lieutenant Stanley rose to the rank of Major General and was wounded twice in battle."
Stanley was brevetted three times for gallant and meritorious service and he was awarded a medal of honor March 29, 1893 for his distinguished bravery in the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, November 30, 1864. He died March 13, 1902.
Clayton A. Staples, a member of the faculty of Wichita University, addressed the Oklahoma Art League on "The Evolution of Art" in the auditorium of the Oklahoma Historical Society on November 10, 1941. He used fifty of his own paintings and showed colored slides by way of illustrating his lecture.
The atmosphere of the early history of our country was recreated for an hour November 12, 1941, in the heart of one of the last states, as the Oklahoma Daughters of the American Revolution bequeathed their state museum to the Oklahoma Historical Society. Mayor R. A. Hefner, a member of the board of directors of the State Historical Society, accepted the gift of the Daughters of the American Revolution with a tribute to the patriotic spirit he said this organization has kept alive. Witnesses were 135 invited guests, including D. A. R. officers, board members and members of the staff of the Historical Society. Others appearing on the impressive program were Mrs. Lawrence Cannon, State Chaplain; Mrs. John B. Cheadle, State Chairman, on the correct use of the flag; Mrs. John P. Cook, State D. A. R. Museum Chairman; Mrs. James J. McNeill, Golden Jubilee State Regent, and Mrs. Nathan Russell Patterson, State Regent of the D. A. R. Music for the processional, during which the officers carried the Star and Stripes to the platform was "Wave the Flag," played on the organ by its composer, Lila Gene George. Singing of "The Star Spangled Banner" was led by Mrs.
John R. Abernathy. Mrs. McNeill, at the close of the dedication ceremonies, cut the ribbon opening the museum's doors while Mrs. Patterson presided.
The museum, undertaken as a project as its observance of the D. A. R.'s Golden Jubilee anniversary, is a parlor filled with authentic furnishings given by descendants of Revolutionary War soldiers and D. A. R. chapters or duplicates from originals. This room, representing the late colonial and early federal period, was furnished by chapters and members throughout Oklahoma with a melodeon, mantle, large and small spinning wheels, grandfather clock, pictures, sewing table, candelabra, sofa, chairs and other heirlooms.
Mrs. Myron E. Humphrey, Chickasha, outlined the history of Fort Sill, November 17, 1941, to members of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in Oklahoma. Mrs. Andrew R. Hickam, State President of the organization, introduced the speaker and presided at the luncheon at which Mrs. John A. Pearson, Norman, was hostess in the Officers' Club at Fort Sill. Following luncheon, a tour was made of the old historical buildings, including the stockade and building, now a museum where Geronimo was imprisoned. The tour, conducted by Lieut. Millard Purdy, was the annual pilgrimage made in observance of statehood day. Each year a site of historical interest is visited by the group. Before returning to various points in the state, members visited the new landscaped replacement center, barracks of the colored battalion and the new officers' quarters and buildings. The guests were welcomed to the fort by Mrs. George R. Allin, wife of the Commandant, Brigadier General Allin, and Mrs. L. R. Wingfield. Seated at the long tables which were decorated with bowls of yellow chrysanthemums from the post gardens, were Mrs. Hickam, Mrs. R. J. Edwards and Mrs. Jason C. Clark, honorary presidents, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Lee Clinton and Mrs. William K. Kellam, Tulsa; Mrs. Humphrey, Mrs. Edwin Humphrey, Mrs. Frank M. Bailey and Mrs. Reford Bond, Jr., Chickasha; Mrs. James L. Patterson, Mrs. C. D. Cund and Mrs. William Brown, Duncan; Mrs. Marvin Heyser, Governor's Island, New York; Miss Eleanor Smith, Washington, D. C.; Mrs. Pearson, Norman, and Mrs. W. Thomas Thach, Mrs. Reford Bond, Mrs. S. E. Clarkson, Mrs. George C. Sohlberg, Mrs. Ralph K. Alexander, Mrs. B. V. Gill, Mrs. Norman E. Reynolds, Oklahoma City, Mrs. Wingfield and Lieutenant Purdy of Fort Sill.
Personal reminiscences were given by Mrs. Bailey who was born at the post and had attended school, church services and dances in the old chapel; by Mrs. Patterson whose father was an army chaplain stationed at Fort Reno; and by Mrs. Heyser. Mrs. Bond's contribution to the program was a family incident. Mrs. Bond,
Oklahoma City and Chickasha, told of the experience of her uncle, J. B. Quigley, St. Louis, Missouri, who was on his first surveying trip following his graduation from Washington University, St. Louis. As he and his party stopped at Fort Sill to pick up an escort of soldiers before going to the Texas panhandle, an Indian dashed into the reservation and announced that the captain and his men were all dead. The message of the massacre of George A. Custer and his 276 soldiers had been sent that day by smoke signals from Little Big Horn, Montana, to Fort Sill June 25, 1876. Two weeks later the message was confirmed from Washington, she stated.
The No Man's Land Historical Society met on September 30, 1941, at the Panhandle Agricultural and Mechanical College in Goodwell, Oklahoma. Among those appearing on the program were Boss Neff, President of the Society; E. L. Morrison, President of the College; E. L. Hoover, Canadian, Texas; F. Hiner Dale, District Judge; Senator Julius Cog; Representative Wallace Hughes; H. G. Bennett, President, Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College; and James W. Moffitt, Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
The following are officers of the No Man's Land Historical Society: President, Boss Neff; Vice-President, Charlie Hitch; President Emeritus, Dr. Claude Fly; Secretary-Treasurer, Lida Mulkin; Historian, Mrs. Fred Tracy; Directors, William E. Baker; Julius Cox; Cy Strong; Mrs. Mary England; Charlie Hitch; Henry Hitch; Stella Stedman; Maude, Thomas; Fred Tracy; E. L. Morrison. The Society maintains a museum at the College which displays the historical relics of this interesting region.
Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa, inaugurated its third season with an opening October 6. During the summer, extensive alterations were made to the building and a new wing added. Mr. and Mrs. Waite Phillips, who gave the building and grounds to Tulsa two years ago, and remodeled it into a museum, made an additional gift last spring of $70,000 to be used for remodeling the building and for the addition of an auditorium. The new auditorium will seat 400 and another 100 may be seated in the foyer. The open south terrace rooms have been inclosed in glass, which afford a beautiful setting for flower shows. The attic has been remodeled for the art school and skylights added, and even the Indian room has undergone several changes.
For the opening exhibition the Director, Eugene Kingman, took for his theme "Phases of Western History—the Artists' Record." By the use of maps the historical background of the central plains is fully explained. Six large maps depict the story of this region from 1800 to the present day. A thorough study of western history
was made by the Director, and by Elizabeth Y. Kingman. Trips were made to Arkansas, Missouri and historical places in Oklahoma for material. Dealers' galleries in New York and old print shops in the east were visited.
The Roberta Campbell Lawson memorial exhibition, on display in the Indian room, contains representative examples of crafts from the plains of woodland Indians and several examples from the Five Civilized Tribes.
Director Kingman delegated various organizations with the task of assembling the material for such displays. For instance, the Tulsa Stamp club arranged the display of stamps, tracing the postal history of the United States; the Early American Glass club arranged the display of glass, and prepared all documentary labels; the development of architecture in Oklahoma was arranged by Frederick Vance Kershner with an accompanying exhibit of nineteenth century architectural renderings, lent by Mrs. Phil W. McMahon, Tulsa; the Weavers' guild of Tulsa arranged the exhibit of old spinning wheels and looms. Days could be spent at Philbrook studying the development of art in the west.
On October 12, 1941, the Creek County Historical Society was organized at Bristow, Oklahoma. Among those addressing this group were Mrs. E. H. Black and James W. Moffitt, Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Officers elected were as follows Mrs. E. H. Black, President; Mrs. J. C. Vickers, Vice President; Mrs. Mary Warren Oldham, Secretary-Treasurer; Mrs. R. A. Shaw, Director of Publicity; Board of Directors, Don W. Walker; Lew Allard; John Young; Ray Gearhart. In the near future a committee representing the various communities of Creek County will be appointed to collect interviews with pioneers, early letters, newspapers, maps and other historical data. It was also suggested that the senior pupils in the high schools be encouraged to write accounts of their lives and that of their parents with their historical background. Eventually the Society expects to sponsor the writing of a history of this county with such a colorful background.
On the afternoon of November 23, 1941, the Payne County Historical Society met in the Public Library at Stillwater. President C. S. Bassler introduced Paul Boone who presented a paper on "The Early Telephone History of Payne County." The Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society then addressed the group. The closing number on the program was a paper on "The Early History of Stillwater," by J. H. Swope, a pioneer citizen, which was read by Mabel Davis Holt, Secretary of the Payne County Society. A number of early pictures and manuscripts, throwing light on the early history of Payne County, were presented to the Society.
On October 28, 1941, the Garfield County Historical Society was formed at Enid, Oklahoma. Those appearing on the program were President Emeritus I. N. McCash of Phillips University and the Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Officers were elected as follows: President, I. N. McCash; Program Vice-President, H. F. Donnelly; Membership Vice-President, Ed Stinnett; Secretary-Treasurer, Mable McClure; Reporter, Mrs. F. L. Crowe. The Society set as one of its objectives the preservation of manuscripts and other, historical materials dealing with the history of Garfield County.
Newest among historical societies in Oklahoma is the Stephens County Historical Society which was organized at Duncan, November 24, 1941, after addresses by Judge J. G. Clift and James W. Moffitt. With Judge Cham Jones presiding the following officers were elected: Judge Clift, President and Sue Salmon, Secretary. Plans were discussed for collecting and preserving the historical materials of this county. It was also suggested that the pupils in the schools write sketches of their pioneer parents, including their historical background.
Thurman J. White, State Supervisor for the Statewide Museum Service, reports that on November 1, 1941, there were forty-five units of this part of the Federal Works Projects Administration sponsored by the Extension Division of the University of Oklahoma. In sixteen of the Schools where museum units are maintained, clubs have been organized among the student bodies. The purpose and aim of each club is adapted to the interests of the members; the only requirement being that these interests shall be to the advancement of the museum, school and community. The names chosen for some of these clubs indicate the trend of these activities; such as Girls' Progressive Museum Club, Camera Club, Travel and Nature Study Club, Science Club, Local Historical Society.
These forty-five museums stretch across the state from Kenton to Broken Bow, and the exhibits on display and various collections assembled are of valuable historical interest. Other collections reflect the geological, industrial, military, cultural and economic development of the state.
Readers of The Chronicles of Oklahoma are requested to send in news of the activities of local, county and regional historical societies; of historical museuma, pioneer associations and patriotic societies; of manuscript collections pertaining to Oklahoma; of monuments and markers erected; of anniversaries and historical events to the Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society, Historical Building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, so that such items may be published in this section of The Chronicles.
The Secretary represented the Society at the annual meeting of the Southern Historical Association at Atlanta, Georgia, on November 6, 7, and 8, 1941. Among the topics discussed were "Southern Transportation and Trade"; "Newspapers as a Factor in Southern Development"; "Some Post-War Southern Leaders"; "Some Aspects of Latin American History"; "Southern History"; "History and Population in the Middle Ages"; "Local Historians and the Development of Southern Historical Scholarship." Those participating on the last named program were William D. McCain, Mississippi Department of Archives and History; William J. Van Schreeven, Virginia State Library; William B. Hamilton, Duke University; Hugh T. Lefler, University of North Carolina; C. C. Crittenden, North Carolina Historical Commission; Dan Lacy, Work Projects Administration; James W. Moffitt, Oklahoma Historical Society. Among the historical collections of interest seen were the antiques of the Atlanta Historical Society; the exhibit of Confederate research materials belonging to the Keith Read Collection in the Emory University Library, and the Cherokee and Creek manuscripts in the Georgia Department of Archives and History.
During recent months death has claimed three members of the Society who were former governors: Frank Frantz and W. M. Jenkins who served during territorial days and E. W. Marland who was governor of Oklahoma from 1935 to 1939. Their biographical sketches will appear in a subsequent issue of this magazine.
Hon. J. S. Latimer, eighty seven year old pioneer for whom Latimer County was named, died at his home near Wilburton of a cerebral hemorrhage, October 29, 1941. Latimer was a delegate to the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.
Fred D. Bearly, sixty eight year old head of the Bearly Lumber Company and a life member of the Society, died September 21, 1941, at his home in Oklahoma City. For many years he was a leader in state Republican circles and served at one time as a member of the state Republican central committee. He belonged to the First Methodist Church, Oklahoma City, and was a Mason.