The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, July 24, 1941, with Judge Robert L. Williams, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present: Judge Robert L. Williams, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Hon. George L. Bowman, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Dr. Grant Foreman, Mrs. Frank Korn, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Hon. John B. Meserve, Mr. J. B. Milam, Mr. H. L. Muldrow, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, and James W. Moffitt, the Secretary.
The President introduced Mr. H. L. Muldrow, of Norman, a new member of the Board of Directors.
The Secretary presented the minutes of the Board meeting held January 23, 1941, and the minutes of the Board meeting held May 13, 1941, and upon motion of Dr. Grant Foreman, duly seconded, the reading of the minutes was passed subject to being called for consideration upon request.
Mr. R. R. Owens, Budget Officer of the State, presented the matter of keeping the building open Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
The following resolution was presented: "Provided when funds in the sum of $100 per month be made available and to be permitted to be divided between two persons, one complying with the prescribed qualifications for the Grand Army Hall custodian, the other with same prescribed qualifications as custodian of the Confederate Hall, that then the President be directed to take all necessary steps to have the building open not only on Saturday afternoons, but also at least two hours on each Sunday afternoon—these persons to be available for such purpose on other week days except Mondays."
Hon. John B. Meserve moved that the resolution be adopted. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Robert L. Williams explained that he had secured title to the Robert M. Jones property, consisting of 300 acres, at a cost of $1293.81, as authorized at the Board meeting of October 24, 1940.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that the Oklahoma Historical Society pay Hon. Robert L. Williams the sum of $1000 in consideration of which he will turn over to the Society the deed to the 300 acres of the Robert M. Jones property, and that the Society express its appreciation to Judge Robert L. Williams for his interest in behalf of the Society, and also the interest and help of Mr. P. A. Norris and Mr. S. C. Boswell in this transaction. Upon receiving a second from Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Judge Taylor put the motion which was unanimously carried.
Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, the Treasurer of the Society moved that the Board authorize the Treasurer to issue check in the sum of $1000 payable to Hon. Robert L. Williams on account of the Robert M. Jones matter. Upon receiving a second from Judge Thomas A. Edwards, the Treasurer put the motion which carried unanimously.
Judge Baxter Taylor, chairman of the Library Committee, recommended the purchase of two copies of the second edition of The Constitution of Oklahoma and Enabling Act, annotated and revised by C. W. King, price $16.00.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett moved that the books be purchased and Mr. C. W. King be paid the sum of $16.00 for the two books. Motion was seconded, whereupon Judge Taylor put the motion which carried.
Mr. J. B. Milam reported that a number of Cherokees would meet at the Sequoyah shrine, July 25, 1941 to receive a silhouette of Sequoyah, framed in sequoia wood, the gift of the artist, Louis Mertins, the artist and his wife to be present in person to present the gift.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that this Board of Directors express its appreciation and thanks for the gift of this silhouette and honor to Sequoyah and that Mr. Milam convey this message to the artist Mr. Louis Mertins. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
Mrs. Frank Korn reported the gift of a number of books for the Historical Library, donated by the citizens of Canadian County, and thanks were expressed for same.
Judge Thomas A. Edwards moved that the Secretary be instructed to receive no more county records except with the authority of the President. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President reported that a collection of letters written in longhand by Rev. Joseph Samuel Murrow to Mr. H. L. Muldrow had been presented by Mr. Muldrow and had been received, and that also with this collection of letters was an autographed booklet entitled Sixty Years of Service for Humanity, dealing with the life and activities of Father Murrow, by Charles E. Creager had been received.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas moved that these letters and booklet be accepted and that the Board extend its thanks to Mr. Muldrow for this donation. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for membership:
LIFE: J. Bartley Milam, Claremore and Mrs. Susan Pelter McGreevy, Carmen.
ANNUAL: Rev. Virgil Alexander, Muskogee; Dr. Susie M. Ames, Lynchburg, Va.,; George F. Bauer, Jr., Tulsa; G. H. Beaulieu, Pawhuska; Rabbi Joseph Blatt, Oklahoma City; Elizabeth Bledsoe, Lawton; Mrs. W. L. Blessing, Shawnee; E. A. Brininstool, Hollywood, Calif.; Dr. Norman W. Caldwell, Clarksville, Ark.; Thomas William Cheek, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Mattie Standley Conn, Chickasha; John P. DeLesdernier, San Antonio, Texas; Rev. Walter Douglass, Lindsay; Mrs. Olivette H. Duffy, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Carl Dunnington, Cherokee; Oscar Clayton Elkins, Lawton; Maurice Foster, Oklahoma City; J. A. Glidewell, Dallas, Texas; Walter W. Groom, McAlester; Mary Elizabeth Hammett, Claremore; Mrs. Geo. A. Hutchinson, Enid; Charles E. Jones, Cordell; Mrs. W. King Larimore, Oklahoma City; Reuel Little, Madill; Dr. I. N. McCash, Enid; Joe C. McGuinn, Hallett; C. B. Montgomery, Lawton; L. W. Osborn, Muskogee; R. R. Owens, Oklahoma City; Lora O. Patterson, Tulsa; Mrs. J. C. Pybas, Oklahoma City; R. L. Redwine, Altus; Judge Royce H. Savage, Tulsa; M. F. Schweidler, West Lafayette, Ind.; Gunner G. Smith, Bennington; Lee Bowen Spencer, Shawnee; Polly Elli Stearns, Shawnee; John Franklin Thomas, Lawton; Mrs. H. W. Twinam, Prague; J. R. Whitney, Oklahoma City; and H. E. Wrinkle, Oklahoma City.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas moved that these persons be received into membership in the class indicated. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. H. L. Muldrow moved that William E. Baker, of Boise City, Oklahoma, a veteran county agent of Cimarron County and a nationally known archaeologist, be elected to honorary life membership in the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas extended an invitation to the members of the Board to attend the celebration of the Cherokee Strip Association, to be held in Ponca City, September 16.
Mrs. John R. Williams called attention to the fact that one of our Board members, Mrs. Blanche Lucas of Ponca City, had been re-commissioned postmaster at Ponca City, and moved that the Board congratulate her on her re-appointment. Motion was seconded and carried.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett moved that the Board of Directors grant Gen. William S. Key, vice president of the Board, leave of absence from attending meetings while he is in service. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that the Board of Directors express its sympathy to the members of the families of Dr. Joseph B. Thoburn and Mr. Jasper Sipes, deceased. Motion was seconded and carried.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett introduced a group of visitors from Shawnee, Mr. William L. Blessing, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Moyle and Mrs. Florence Pigg, members of the Pottawatomie County Historical Society, who were thanked for their attendance and presence at this meeting.
Mr. H. L. Muldrow reported the gift of a piece of tapestry which was to have been presented by Mrs. M. Alice Miller, Past Most Worthy Grand Matron, General Grand Chapter, Order Eastern Star, El Reno. Mrs. Miller being unable to be present, he asked that Mrs. Czarina C. Conlan make the presentation. Mrs. Conlan appeared before the Board and set forth the following description: Mr. and Mrs. William C. Coon of El Reno willed their possessions to the Masonic Charity Foundation, including this piece of tapestry. The Masonic Charity Foundation commissioned Mrs. M. Alice Miller to present this example of handwork in the art of weaving to the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas moved that this tapestry be accepted and that a letter expressing appreciation and thanks be written to the donors. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President reported the death of Mr. Jasper Sipes, one of the members of the Board of Directors.
Dr. Grant Foreman nominated Thomas J. Harrison, of Pryor, Oklahoma. Mr. J. B. Milam endorsing the nomination, seconded same.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that the nominations be closed, and that the Secretary be instructed to cast the ballot for the election of Thomas
J. Harrison, which was seconded and unanimously adopted. The Secretary cast the ballot and Thomas J. Harrison was declared duly elected as a member of the Board of Directors.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore presented to the Society a collection of California seaweeds mounted in 1875, gift of Mrs. Vera Wignall Bare, of Pauls Valley.
Mrs. Blanche Lucas moved that this collection be accepted and that Mrs. Bare be thanked for this donation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that the Daughters of the American Revolution be thanked for their work in furnishing a room in the west museum on the fourth floor, showing the furniture of the early period of this country, embracing the Colonial period, and until further direction that the hall of the museum containing said D. A. R. Room be kept closed. Motion was seconded and carried.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett moved that the Secretary be instructed to ask the State Board of Affairs for storage space in the Capitol to take care of the county records. Motion was seconded and carried.
The matter of securing biographical sketches through students was discussed, and Senator George L. Bowman moved that the Secretary take the matter up and work out some method of securing students to help in
securing this material for the Oklahoma Historical Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman presented to the Society a collection of newspaper files consisting of the Fort Smith Elevator, Fort Smith New Era, Siloam Springs Herald, the Fort Scott Weekly Monitor, Kansas; the Tahlequah Arrow and the Arrow-Telephone.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that these papers be preserved and that Dr. Grant Foreman be thanked for this contribution. Motion was seconded and carried.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that a portion of the Extra Help fund now available be used for mending these papers donated by Dr. Grant Foreman. Motion was seconded and carried.
Gen. Charles F. Barrett moved that the Board express its sympathy to Judge Thomas H. Doyle and hope for his speedy recovery from his recent illness. Motion was seconded and carried.
The meeting stood adjourned subject to the call of the president.
Robert L. Williams,
James W. Moffitt,