The Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society met November 15, 1940, in the Historical Building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, pursuant to the call of the President.
The meeting was called to order by the President, Judge Robert L. Williams.
The Secretary called the roll, which showed the following members present: Judge R. L. Williams, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Judge Harry Campbell, Dr. Grant Foreman, Dr. James H. Gardner, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Judge Robert A. Hefner, Mr. John B. Meserve, Hon. W. J. Peterson, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. Jofin R. Williams, Hon. George L. Bowman and James W. Moffitt, the Secretary.
Upon motion of Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, duly seconded, the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting of the Board of Directors was dispensed with.
The President reported the death of Judge William P. Thompson, one of the members of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society, after which the members stood a moment in reverence to his memory.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore presented the name of Mr. J. B. Milam of Chelsea, Oklahoma, to fill the vacancy on the Board occasioned by the death of William P. Thompson, which was seconded by Mrs. John R. Williams.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that the nominations be closed and that the Secretary be authorized to cast the unanimous vote for the election of Mr. J. B. Milam. Motion was seconded and carried, and the Secretary cast the unanimous vote of the Board of Directors for the election of Mr. J. B. Milam to serve on the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
The President introduced Hon. George L. Bowman, of Kingfisher, new member of the Board of Directors.
The President gave a report on the Spiro archaeological project, stating that Dr. Forrest Clements, of the University of Oklahoma, assured him that the artifacts secured from the Spiro mound would be prepared for exhibition and ready for allocation by the first of January, 1941, and also requested the privilege of lending eight specimens from this collection to the exhibition of Indian arts in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, beginning January 22, 1941, for a period of three months.
Upon motion made by Judge Samuel W. Hayes, seconded and unanimously carried, it was
RESOLVED that the Oklahoma Historical Society consents and agrees that eight specimens of Spiro artifacts now in possession of the University of Oklahoma shall be sent to New York and leased to the proper authorities for exhibition among Indian arts in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, beginning January 22, 1941, for a period of three months; provided and upon condition that this Society be furnished with a copy of the agreement under which the same shall be leased to or sent for such exhibition, with a definite description therein of the articles so sent or leased; and that insurance against the loss thereof and to insure the return thereof be provided and given at the expense of the lessees for the benefit of the University of Oklahoma, University of Tulsa, and the Oklahoma Historical Society, as owners thereof.
The President appointed Mr. J. B. Milam to serve on the committees as regards the Fort Gibson matter and also the Sequoyah Home.
The preservation of books in the library was discussed and Dr. Grant Foreman moved that the Secretary be instructed to procure a register which all research workers would be required to sign, stating the books or manuscripts to be examined, this register to be used in connectoin with the card system now in use. Motion was seconded and carried.
Hon. W. J. Peterson moved that the meeting stand adjourned subject to the call of the President.
Robert L. Williams, President
James W. Moffitt, Secretary