|Col. David Folsom,||Czarina Conlan,|
|Pushmataha,||W. F. Semple,|
Chiefs under Skulleyville Constitution:—
|Alfred Wade,||1857-1859,||Ivan Wade|
|Tandy Walker,||1858-1858,||Edgar A. Moore,|
|Basil L. LeFlore||1859-1860,||Joel Griggs,|
Chiefs under Doaksville Constitution:—
|George Hudson,||1860-1862,||Peter J. Hudson,|
|Samuel Garland,||1862-1864,||William G. Stigler,|
|Peter P. Pitchlynn,||1864-1866,||Everett V. Jones,|
|Allen Wright,||1866-1870,||Muriel Wright,|
|William Bryant||1870-1874,||Josh Anderson,|
|Coleman Cole,||1874-1878,||Silas E. Cole,|
|Isaac Garvin,||1878-1880,||Francis Raffee,|
|Jackson McCurtain||1880-1884,||Sam L. Riddle,|
|Edmund McCurtain,||1884-1886,||Chas B. Bascomb,|
|Ben F. Smallwood,||1888-1890,||Martin McKee,|
|Wilson N. Jones,||1890-1894,||William M. LeFlore,|
|Jefferson Gardner,||1894-1896,||Oscar Gardner,|
|Green McCurtain,||1896-1900,||Hampton Tucker,|
|Gilbert W. Dukes,||1900-1902,||Justine Dukes Calloway.|
The Tulsa Association of Pioneers held their annual picnic on June 9, 1938. A memorial service was conducted by Judge Harry
Campbell. Addresses were given by Dr. C. W. Kerr, Mrs. Roberta Campbell Lawson, and Cyrus S. Avery. The officers are as follows Dr. S. G. Kennedy, Chairman of the Board of Directors; Lee Clinton, President; Vern H. Vandever, Vice-President; N. C. Cross, Secretary; Colonel Lynch, Treasurer; Mrs. Frank G. Seaman, Assistant Secretary, and Floyd Shurtleff, Assistant Treasurer.
The Old Timers Picnic was held at Alluwee on August 28, 1938. This was the eighth annual homecoming sponsored by the Pioneers. Among those on the program were Judge W. H. Kornegay and James W. Moffitt. The officers of this organization are as follows: Chairman, Lee Dishman; Vice-Chairman, D. E. Maples, and Secretary-Treasurer, Emmitt Jarvis.
The American Indian Exposition took place at Andarko, August 24-27. A historical pageant entitled "The Spirit of the Washita" depicted the history of that area. Indian dances also featured this occasion.
The Old Pioneers' Club met at Chickasha on September 12, 1938. Judge Will Linn is President of this organization of Grady County early settlers. He introduced a number who had come back for the program and reunion. Mr. George H. Evans, publisher of the Chickasha Daily Express presented among others Mrs. Meta C. Sager, who spoke on "What I Found, When I Came to Grady County Forty-Nine Years Ago." The other officers are Mrs. Burney Roy, Secretary; J. R. Burleson, Vice-President, and Bob Thompson, Vice-President. Under the direction of H. C. Brunt, President, the annual Old Settlers Picnic took place at Chandler on September 15, 1938.
The Secretary attended the observance of the Centennial of Cherokee Removal at Chattanooga, Tennessee, September 20-22, 1938. A tour of sites of interest in Cherokee history was taken, also. At Old Brainerd Mission Cemetery a tablet was unveiled in honor of the Reverend Stephen Foreman. Among his descendants present were Miss Minta Foreman, Mrs. Susan Wear, Mrs. D. J. Faulkner, James Rider, Mrs. R. P. Shelton, and Miss Susan Comer. Also present were Mrs. J. B. Milam, and Miss Mary Milam, whose
progenitor, the Reverend Ard Hoyt labored there as a missionary one hundred years ago. Other guests were J. B. Milam, Miss Bess Howard, Robert Sparks Walker, J. P. Brown, Miss Amanda Finley, Mrs. Penelope Johnson Allen, Dr. Alfred Hurst, Chief Jarrett Blye and Cherokees from the reservation in North Carolina.
The establishment of the Old Chouteau Trading Post at Salina was commemorated in a program given there on October 10, 11, 1938. Among those speaking were Governor Elect Leon C. Phillips, Dr. M. L. Wardell of the University of Oklahoma, Mr. Thomas J. Harrison of Pryor, and the Secretary. Miss Yvonne Chouteau of Oklahoma City presented several French and Indian dances. J. E. Reynolds, Salina; Harve Langley, Pryor, and Joe Lewis of Salina constituted the committee on arrangements. Others who assisted were Mrs. J. S. Knight, County Superintendent of Mayes County, Pryor; James F. Rollins, Locust Grove; Dr. S. W. Perkins, Rose; Jesse Mayes, Pryor; C. H. Boake, Pryor; Cleo Callison, Pryor; V. R. Casey, Salina; C. W. Jetton, Salina; and George Mayes, Oklahoma City. A number of Chouteau descendants attended.
During the third annual American Indian week in Tulsa the Oklahoma Archaeological Society met October 19. How to identify Indian design as to region was explained at the dinner by Frederic H. Douglas, Director of the Denver Art Museum. Clark Field reported that at least 100 men are doing excavation work in the Grand River Dam area in order to preserve relics from prehistoric sites before the floodwaters cover them. The officers for the ensuing year are James H. Gardner, President and H. Grady Snuggs, Secretary. Another event of this week was the Indian banquet on the evening of October 20. Mrs. Roberta Campbell Lawson, Chairman of the program committee introduced John Joseph Mathews to make the principal address. The Indian Cavalcade, a pageant, presented the history of this region. October 19 and 20, the Inter-Tribal Council met with W. F. Semple as Chairman. New officers were elected as follows: President, Ben Dwight, Vice-President, Dennis Bushyhead, and Secretary, Louis Ware. J. B. Milam is the Chairman of the newly organized Cherokee committee. In the Exposition Hall
were displayed exhibits from different Indian Schools including Bacone, Sequoyah, Seneca, Chilocco, Fort Sill, and Haskell.
The Secretary represented the Society at the Southern Historical Association in New Orleans, November 3-5, 1938.
The Regent of the Oklahoma City Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. Charles Gordon Girvin has presented year books and other historical material to the Oklahoma Historical Society. In the Year Book for 1938-1939 Mrs. Frank G. Munson of Alva, State Historian, has reported an interest in State and local history as shown in the following activities: Durant has marked the grave of Reverend Dixon Durant; Cushing has set aside a place for trees as a memorial to George Washington; Shawnee has erected a boulder describing the Washington Irving Trail; Pond Creek has placed two granite markers on the Chisholm Trail; Oklahoma City has cooperated with the Eighty-Niners' Association and the Park Board in marking with bronze plaques, the sites of the first camp, the first military post, the first city hall, the first church services, the first school, the first post office and other places of interest. Historical programs have been given by the different chapters on Statehood Day, Constitution Day, Flag Day, Washington's Birthday, Independence Day and Armistice Day. History Scrap Books have been kept by ten chapters. Others have presented exhibits of historical objects. The Black Beaver chapter is gathering the history of early settlers. One member in the Alva chapter has been busy tracing the route of Coronado across Oklahoma. Mrs. Kenneth Kaufman of the Norman chapter has written a paper on John Rollin Ridge and Mrs. Preston C. West has traced the history of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Oklahoma. Mrs. Virgil Browne of Oklahoma City has reported two hundred participants in the American History essay contest and Mrs. Tide Cox of Ardmore forty-eight.
Judge R. A. Hefner has renewed his offer to give $50.00 another year for the best paper on some phase of Oklahoma Baptist history. The contest is open to all students of Oklahoma colleges and universities whether undergraduate or graduate stu-
ents. The activities, biographies or institutions treated must go back at least fifty years in time. All papers entered should be in the office of Dr. E. C. Routh, editor of the Baptist Messenger, at Oklahoma City, by April 30, 1939.
The attention of our readers is called to the "Minutes" on pages 498-501 where other items of interest may be found.