The annual meeting of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened May 5, 1938, at Tahlequah, Oklahoma, as per resolutions of the Board of Directors, January 27, 1938.
The opening session was held in the auditorium of the Northeastern State Teachers College.
The band of the college under the direction of Mr. Henri Minsky rendered a short program.
Mr. John Vaughan, President of the college, gave an address of welcome.
Judge R. L. Williams, President of the Oklahoma Historical Society, gave the response and read his annual report.
The work of the historical society has made gradual progress during the past year. For efficiency, it is essential that each employee have a definite responsibility for a specified work. An effort has been made to that end. At times there have been indications that harmonious results had not been brought about as desired. When complaints came to me, without answering same, I would call upon the Secretary for reports generally on such department. I have had these reports. When I have the opportunity I shall make a personal investigation to determine these matters. I understand that the Secretary is an executive in the absence of the Executive Committee or the President, but upon the whole, as before stated, gradual progress is being made.
Works Progress Administration projects have been functioning in connection with the historical society for the past two years: (1) for the cataloguing and indexing of newspapers and other periodicals, manuscripts, old letters, diaries, wills, etc., which is quite an undertaking, as the historical society has within its archives one of the finest newspaper collections in America, especially for as new a state as Oklahoma. We have the assurance that this project will be continued or renewed.
I recommend that this meeting vote to authorize the President and Secretary to enter into the undertaking for such extension, and to bind the society in a sponsor's fund, not to exceed $750.00 whether the funds come from the private funds or state funds available for such purpose.
(2) Another project is the Indian Pioneer project in conjunction with the Oklahoma State University which closes soon. It wasn't practical to agree on a plan for an extension or to procure an extension.
The society, through its staff and organization, under the leadership of the Secretary, has been gathering into its archives municipal, county and state, and Indian agencies and sub-agencies, records which are of considerable historical interest, and at the same time, in comity, we are endeavoring to supply historical societies of other states, free of charge, photostat copies of original Indian records committed to our care through the Interior Department of the United States Government relating to the Indians when they were domiciled in such state. By enactment of the Act, which was passed by Congress through efforts of the late Congressman W. W. Hastings, and on account of this great service we have the custody of such records. Other states are seeking to have such acts passed for their benefit, and we are endeavoring to exercise the foresight to furnish photostat copies to such states that when such acts do pass, if the original records are
sought, we will have all moral claim on account of our courtesy and efficient acts in supplying them with copies, to retain them. I don't mean that is the sole purpose. Our purpose is dual. We are furnishing same because we ought to as a matter of comity and readily and hastily so there will probably never be any controversy as to the originals.
We are seeking to make the Oklahoma Historical Society, insofar as research for matters pertaining to Indian history and lore, second only to the Smithsonian Institution.
The Sequoyah project is completed with the exception of the landscaping and watering. The probability is that the project will be renewed so as to be continued through the summer in order to water the shrubs and trees, and make the place not only an enduring monument to the great Sequoyah but also a place of Nature's beauty.
The project as to the Robert M. Jones Cemetery at Rose Hill, near Hugo, Oklahoma, in which he and his family were buried, has been completed. It is an enduring memorial to him as a leading, great and useful Indian and delegate from the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations in the Congress of the Confederate States of America.
What is known as the "Publication and Editorial Committee" has begun to function toward the elevation of the Chronicles. Prior to this year that committee's work was in a desultory way. A rule has been established that no article is to go into that magazine until it has first been approved in writing by three members of the Publication and Editorial Committee, and the plan now is gradually growing into fruition to seek the character of articles to be placed therein and not to be filled solely by volunteers in such a haphazard way that duplication may run through the publications. We hope in the early future for the Chronicles of Oklahoma to have high rank with that of other great institutions.
The Historical Society was represented at the last meeting of the American Historical Association, and it was a matter of regret that the meeting of the Mississippi Valley Association was so soon after the cornerstone laying and dedication of the Robert M. Jones Cemetery and the meeting of this society, that it was not practical for the Secretary to attend as our representative. The Mississippi Valley Association convened in Indianapolis, Indiana, on April 28, 29, and 30.
The library of the Oklahoma Historical Society is being increased as the funds available for that purpose permit.
One of the difficult matters is the membership:
The life memberships are about 150 and the paid-up annual memberships are a little less than 600. When you consider that our magazine, The Chronicles of Oklahoma, is increasing in merit, and that it is intrinsically worth at least $2.50 per year, there never being an issue that there is not an article contained in it but that it is worth at least one dollar, it is incomprehensible that there are no more paying annual memberships, especially when the Chronicles are furnished free to such members without any additional charge therefor.
On investigation I find that one of the reasons is in lapses. I will meet persons—talk to them and find out they haven't been receiving the Chronicles and when I explain to them that after they do not continue their annual membership dues, the Chronicles do not continue to be sent, they state that they were not aware of such practices. I have talked over the matter with the Secretary with a view of his watching such delinquencies and cause a letter to follow immediately calling attention thereto, and then of carrying a notation in each issue of the Chronicles, calling attention to the fact that it is sent without charge to the members who remain in good standing by continuing the paying of annual dues of $1.00 per year.
Then in every county, and especially where there is a college and a highschool cooperation will greatly aid. The Chronicles is sent free to every institution or school that maintains a library.
It is our purpose to have the Secretary to attend all the Old Settlers' Reunions, not only with a view of his making an address, but at the same time to interview Old Settlers to get historical data to preserve not only the history of themselves but also that of their own times. We appeal to the school teachers and the leaders in every community to cooperate in bringing about this result in an effective way.
I have had recent correspondence with Dr. Forrest E. Clements, Department of Anthropology, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Historical Society furnished a part of the money to acquire the lease for excavation of the Spiro Mound with the understanding that the Oklahoma Historical Society would have half-interest in the result of the excavations (Spiro Mound). Afterwards, the University of Tulsa came in and they were to make some advancements, and if they made advancements as it was understood it was to be divided one-third to each: The State University, Oklahoma Historical Society and Tulsa University.
I have recently taken this up with Dr. Clements and we have a tentative plan as to displaying for a time the most of these excavations in one of the museum rooms in the Oklahoma Historical Society Building in Oklahoma City, in locked cases now available or to be made available by the historical society for such purposes.
We have assembled biographical data as to all except two of the members of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention, and as to them (two) we expect to procure same.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson read the following resolution:
MOVED, that the President of the Oklahoma Historical Society is hereby authorized to enter into contract with the proper WPA office for Continuation of Serial No. S-179, Project No. 465-65-3-92 to continue classifying and indexing Indian Records and indexing and cataloguing newspaper files and manuscripts and diaries, papers and materials in the possession of the Oklahoma Historical Society, and also to execute the proper papers in the name of the Oklahoma Historical Society by him as President, to be countersigned by the Secretary, who is hereby authorized to attach his signature as Secretary for such purpose and to affix the seal thereto of the Society; also the sum of $750.00 is made available for such purpose from the private funds or any state-appropriated funds available for such purpose, same to be drawn on the Treasurer by voucher or order of the President, countersigned by the Secretary.
Said resolution was adopted, the said sum of $750.00 to be set aside as available for the sponsor's part to finance the project. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson read the following resolution:
MOVED, that the President be authorized in the name of the historical society, countersigned by the Secretary, with the seal of the society attached, to enter into contract for continuation of project or for a new project to carry on additional work on the Sequoyah Home Park, and for easements and work thereon, and such renewal or continuation project or a new project proposal on behalf of the Oklahoma Historical Society as Sponsor, which is to have the effect for the continuation of Project No. 8-4066, it being contemplated that the WPA will furnish the common labor, putting down the pipe for the watering of trees and shrubbery and for finishing the walks and easement, the historical society expected
to furnish the pipe and a plumber or a pipe-fitter to direct the laying of the pipe, and that in addition to the money now available that has already been appropriated by the historical society in the sum of $141.61 and the money held by the committee through its treasurer is first to be used for meeting the sponsor's part, but in the event that it be not sufficient, that then an additional $250.00, either out of state appropriated funds available therefor or out of the private funds is authorized to be expended for this project, and then if it is not needed for such purpose as still additional funds for the continuation of the project it is hereby reappropriated for such purpose and to be available for such purpose, the President being authorized to draw the vouchers to be countersigned by the Secretary, also money collected by the committee for the Sequoyah Shrine which is composed of R. L. Williams, Dr. Grant Foreman, and R. M. Mountcastle, said committee being authorized to collect and receive from the First National Bank of Tahlequah, Okla., such funds placed there by its Treasurer or Trustee (as a member of said committee) the sum of $380.03, and fully receipt said bank therefor, and moved that the resolution be adopted and that the said $250.00 additional be set aside to finance such project. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson read the following resolution:
RESOLVED: That the President of the Oklahoma Historical Society be requested and authorized to secure a charter for an educational and scientific corporate association (Oklahoma Historical Society Foundation, Incorporated) to be self-perpetuating, with not less than three or more than seven Directors, a majority of whom shall not be members of the Board of Directors of the Historical Society, charter to be secured under
Article 11, Chapter 46 of the Oklahoma Statutes, 1931, and moved its adoption. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President spoke on the services to the Oklahoma Historical Society and the State of Oklahoma rendered by the late W. W. Hastings.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson moved that the President, to be chairman, appoint four others to constitute a committee of five to prepare resolution in memory of the late W. W. Hastings. Motion was seconded and carried.
The meeting recessed until 8:30 A. M. May 6, 1938.
A reception was held in the Haskell Hall for the visiting members.
The various historic places in and around Tahlequah were visited.
At 7:30 P. M. a banquet was given in the Florence Wilson Hall with the following program:
Mr. John Vaughan, President of the Northeastern Teachers College, presiding.
Invocation, Rev. C. H. Shackelford, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church at Tahlequah.
Music by the Women's Choral Club.
Violin solo, by Mr. Henri Minsky.
Address, Dr. Herbert P. Gambrell, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas.
Benediction by Rev. C. H. Shackelford.
May 6, 1938:
The meeting was called to order by the President, Judge R. L. Williams, in the Auditorium of the College at 8:30 A. M.
The President read communications from President H. V. Posey of the Southeastern State Teachers College, President Andrew Bramlet of the Oklahoma Presbyterian College for Girls, the Mayor of Durant, the President of the Rotary Club, the Lions Club, The Kiwanis Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the editors of the three newspapers of Durant, inviting the Oklahoma Historical Society to hold its next annual meeting in Durant.
At the request of Judge Harry Campbell the Secretary read an invitation from the Mayor of Tulsa, Dr. T. A. Penny, and Mr. John Rogers, President, Tulsa Chamber of Commerce, inviting the members to hold their next annual meeting in Tulsa.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the next annual meeting of the Society be held at Durant. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
The President announced the four members of the Hastings Memorial Committee to be appointed by him as follows: Judge Wm. P. Thompson, Dr. Grant Foreman, Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson and Judge Harry Campbell, the President ex officio.
Later, report was made which is in words and figures as follows:
William Wirt Hastings was born on 31st day of December, 1866, in Benton County, Arkansas, near the town of Gravette, his father being Yell Hastings, a white man, who was married on the 2nd day of February, 1864, to Louisa Stover, a member of the Cherokee Tribe, and related to the Wards, a prominent family of said Tribe.
When he was about three years old, the family removed to the Delaware District of the Cherokee Nation in the Indian Territory, where he attended the local Cherokee schools, later entering the Cherokee Male Seminary at Tahlequah, graduating therefrom in 1884. He then entered the law department of Vanderbilt University, from which he graduated in 1889.
On the 9th day of December, 1896, he was married to Miss Lulu Starr, related to many prominent Cherokee families. The following children came from this marriage, three daughters: Miss Lucile Ahnawake Hastings, a student at the University of Chicago, Mrs. Lillian Hastings Wyly, wife of Mr. Robert Fletcher Wyly, of Tahlequah, and Mrs. Mayme Starr Hastings Carter, wife of Jack Draper Carter, of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is also survived by two grandchildren, Janet Carter, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Anne Wyly, of Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
After his admission to the bar, he was associated in the practice of the law at Tahlequah with Judge W. P. Thompson, now of Oklahoma City.
From 1891 to 1895, inclusive, he was Attorney General of the Cherokee Nation, and from 1907 to 1914, its national attorney, representing its various interests before the departments in Washington. From the time that he was admitted to the bar, during the political existence of the Cherokee Nation, he was active in its political affairs, being a member of what was known as the Downing Party. He was also active as a member of the National Democratic Party, attending every territorial or political convention of said party from 1892 to the erection of the state. During a part of that time he was a member of the Indian Territory Democratic Central Committee. After the erection of the state he continued his activity as a member of the Democratic Party, attending all conventions. He was a wise counsellor and his advice in such activities and councils was sought.
Mr. Hastings was faithful in his church relations, being a member and an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Tahlequah. He was also a leader in local civic matters for the public welfare, and also efficient and successful in his own private business.
At the organization of the First National Bank of Tahlequah on June 15, 1900, being a stockholder thereof, he became a director, remaining as such until the day of his death. On January 11, 1910, he became president of said bank, holding that office until January 12, 1915, on which date he became chairman of the Board of Directors, serving in that capacity for two years at which time the office was discontinued, but remaining as a member of the Board of Directors, holding such position continuously from June 15, 1900, until April 8, 1938, the date of his death. He was also a director in the Commercial National Bank of Muskogee, Oklahoma. He was also identified with other local business enterprises, being especially engaged in intensive and progressive farming.
A delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Baltimore in 1912, he supported the candidacy of the late Woodrow Wilson for President. Elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-fourth, Sixty-fifth, and Sixty-Sixth Congresses (March 4, 1915 to March 3, 1921) where he represented the Second Congressional District of Oklahoma, with ability, efficiency, and a high order of statesmanship. Nominated on the Democratic ticket for election from said District to the Sixty-seventh Congress, but was defeated in what was known as the Harding landslide. Elected to the Sixty-eighth, Sixty-ninth, Seventieth, Seventy-first, Seventy-second, and Seventythird Congresses from the same district, when he voluntarily retired at the close of the Seventy-third Congress in January, 1935, and, as his health permitted, thereafter devoted himself to looking after his private interests, aiding in matters pertaining to the public welfare, and also as a party counsellor.
He held a life membership in the Oklahoma Historical Society, which was voted to him by said society in recognition of the outstanding service he had rendered for it. At the time of his death he was a member of the committee representing the society in the construction of the Sequoyah Shrine, located about twelve miles northeast of Sallisaw, in Sequoyah County, Oklahoma, in which he rendered efficient service at all times, evincing great interest in perpetuating the service and deserving fame of Sequoyah, the inventor of the Cherokee alphabet. Mr. Hastings rendered distinguished and lasting service to the Oklahoma Historical Society by introducing and sponsoring to final passage by Congress a bill authorizing the removal to for deposit in the archives of said Society of a vast and priceless collection of manuscript material from numerous Indian agencies throughout Oklahoma, givinig the Society an unique position as the repository of the most extensive collection of Indian material in the Nation, outside of Washington, D. C.
As a member of the Congress of the United States, he not only represented all the interests of his district with great ability, fidelity, and efficiency, but took special pains to see that the rights of members of his tribe were not neglected. He was one of the greatest Congressmen who have served Oklahoma in the Congress of the United States, and his public services were of that able, high, efficient and patriotic order which deserve to be remembered and recorded in the history of our country.
He died about 6:10 o'clock in the morning of April 8, 1938. From 9 o'clock Sunday morning, April 10, 1938, until the funeral services in the afternoon, thousands of people among whom he had lived, loved, served, and worked for so many years filed respectfully past his flower-covered casket where it lay in state in the administration building at Northeastern State Teachers' College in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
Shortly before 3 o'clock on that afternoon, nine of his faithful friends carried the casket containing his mortal remains through the silent crowd on the campus to the auditorium of said college where more than four thousand persons had assembled to take leave of this great leader, it being fitting that they should pay this tribute to him at the college to which location at Tahlequah he had, in a primary measure, contributed.
The Rev. C. H. Shackelford, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Tahlequah, in charge of the services, spoke briefly and sincerely of "his full virtue of life, his noble manhood and his faithfulness to God."
He was followed by Hon. W. P. Thompson of Oklahoma City, who had known him since they were three-year-old lads living on adjacent farms in what is now Delaware County, Oklahoma, then Delaware District of the Cherokee Nation, and who were schoolmates in a local log cabin school, and later at the Cherokee Male Seminary, and subsequently classmates in the law department of Vanderbilt University, and who began the practice of law together in Tahlequah in 1889.
He was a success during life in every undertaking, as husband, father, neighbor, friend, businessman, and public servant. He was an honor to his race and his country.
Now, therefore, be it Resolved: That the Oklahoma Historical Society place these resolutions upon its records as a memorial of the life of its member, the late William Wirt Hastings, and that a copy of same be furnished to his wife and three daughters.
R. L. Williams, Chairman.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson moved that a committee be appointed from the Historical Society to cooperate with a like committee from Tahlequah in erecting a monument to the late W. W. Hastings. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson moved that a committee be appointed from the Historical Society to cooperate with a like committee from Ardmore in erecting a monument to the late Charles D. Carter. Colonel A. N. Leecraft seconded the motion and it was carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman read a paper including a resolution as follows:
There are associations of peculiar significance in connection with the time and place of this meeting of the Oklahoma Historical Society which it seems appropriate to notice on this occasion. One hundred years ago this month The Cherokees of Georgia and Tennessee were being driven from their homes and herded into concentration camps, and in the autumn had started on the sad march to this country that they referred to as the Trail of Tears. The people of Illinois are taking steps to commemorate the centenary of the emigration of the Cherokees through their state, and it seems fitting to consider a similar observance in Oklahoma, particularly in what was formerly the Cherokee Nation.
For more than a century the Cherokee people have justly prided themselves on their achievements in the field of learning and culture. Boasts of the warrior have given way to the victories of statecraft and education. Nowhere have these victories been signalized so significantly as in the neighborhood in which we are gathered. Assembled near the springs that gave birth to Tahlequah, the Cherokees brought forth in 1839 their constitution, under which they prospered during the remainder of their tribal existence. Here, until their tribal government was abolished, the Cherokees conducted their national government—their executive, judicial and legislative functions.
Inseparably associated with their accomplishments in the realm of culture and statecraft were Sequoyah and John Ross. The former has been honored in high places for his amazing genius and contribution to his people. While the name of Ross is even better known historically, his services are little known and remembered.
At the seat of the government over which Chief Ross served so long, it may not be amiss to recall briefly his part in the lives of his people. The appropriateness of this will be apparent when we recall that since the Cherokees adopted a constitutional government in 1827, more than 110 years ago, John Ross was repeatedly selected by his people, and served as their chief almost 40 years, nearly as long as the tenure of all other Cherokee chiefs added together.
In the field of historical writing John Ross is better known abroad than among present day Oklahomans. The Smithsonian Institution published accounts of his career in terms of highest praise. According to Mooney, the scholarly
writer of that institution, Ross went on a mission for the Indian Agent Return J. Meigs in 1809, to the Cherokees in Arkansas; and from that time until the close of his life, for more than 50 years he remained in the public service of his nation. At the Battle of the Horseshoe and in other operations of the Cherokee contingent against the Creeks in 1813-14, as adjutant of the Cherokee regiment, he served under Andrew Jackson. He was chosen a member of the national committee in 1817, and drafted the reply to the United States Commissioners who were sent to negotiate the exchange of the Cherokee lands for others west of the Mississippi. In the contest against the removal, his talents were constantly employed in defense of his people and country. As president of the national committee from 1819 to 1826, he was instrumental in the introduction of school and mechanical training. In 1827 he was associate chief with William Hicks, and was president of the convention that adopted the constitution, which was the first effort at a regular government with distinct branches and powers defined, ever made and carried into effect by any Indian tribe on this continent. Ross took the lead in the adoption of that constitution and the government built upon it.
From 1828 to 1839, until the emigration of the Cherokees, he was chief of the tribe. In 1839 the influence of John Ross was largely responsible for the new constitution adopted here under which the united tribe resumed the functions of government in this country. He was the first chief elected under the constitution, and served as such until his death in 1866, except for a short time when the functions of his office were suspended by the Civil War.
In the critical days of dissension in the tribe, when congress was seriously considering a bill espoused by the secretary of war looking to the permanent division of the Cherokee Nation, Ross's patient and stern opposition was largely responsible for defeating the measure and securing the enactment of the treaty of August, 1846, which settled many troublesome questions, and provided for the issurance of a patent conveying their lands to the tribe, under which they held until allotment. Two months later, observing the progress of the common school system inaugurated under his administration, he recommended in an executive message to the council the establishment of a male and a female seminary. This step was strongly favored by the Cherokee Council, as evidenced by an act providing for the construction of these schools. The next spring Chief Ross and the executive council selected sites, adopted plans and made contracts. Corner-stones were laid by the chief on June 21, 1847, and October 28, 1847, with appropriate ceremonies, in the presence of large gatherings of Cherokee people who were justly proud of this new evidence of progress. The buildings were subsequently erected and the schools were opened, the Male Seminary on May 6, 1851, and the Female the next day. And thus the schools that are to be celebrated here tomorrow are more directly connected with the vision, enterprise and wisdom of Chief John Ross than any other man.
From the resolution adopted by the Cherokees on the death of Ross, the following passages are quoted in the account by the Bureau of American Ethnology: From his first youthful service for his people for more than fifty years, he was in the constant service of his people, "furnishing an instance of confidence on their part and fidelity on his which has never been surpassed in the annals of history."
The summing up of the panegyric is a splendid tribute to a splendid manhood: "Blessed with a fine constitution and a vigorous mind, John Ross had the physical ability to follow the path of duty wherever it led. No danger appalled him. He never faltered in supporting what he believed to be right, but clung to it with a steadiness of purpose which alone could have sprung from the clearest convictions of rectitude. He never sacrificed the interests of his nation to expediency. He never lost sight of the welfare of the people. For them he labored daily for a long life, and upon them he bestowed his last expressed thoughts. A friend of law, he obeyed it; a friend of education, he faithfully encouraged schools throughout the country, and spent liberally his means in conferring it upon
others. Given to hospitality, none ever hungered around his door. A professor of the Christian religion, he practiced his precepts. His works are inseparable from the history of the Cherokee people for nearly a half a century, while his example in the daily walks of life will linger in the future and whisper words of hope, temperance and charity in the ears of posterity."
The chronicler for the Bureau of American Ethnology continues: "John Ross, now an old man, being at the time present in Washington on business for his people, died in that city on August 1, 1866, at the age of seventy-seven years, fifty-seven of which had been given to the service of his Nation. No finer panegyric was ever pronounced than the memorial resolution passed by the Cherokee Nation on learning of his death. Notwithstanding repeated efforts to subvert his authority, his people had remained steadfast in their fidelity to him, and he died, as he had lived for nearly forty years, the officially recognized chief of the Nation. With repeated opportunities to enrich himself at the expense of his tribe, he died a poor man. His body was brought back and interred in the territory of the Nation. In remembrance of the great chief, one of the nine districts of the Cherokee Nation had been called by his Indian name, Cooweescoowee."
RESOLVED: That as the Oklahoma Historical Society is dedicated to the correct recording and interpretation of the facts of history, and in the case of conspicuous public service, of making appropriate acknowledgement of such service, it is the sense of the members of the Society assembled at the seat of government where so much of the life of John Ross was spent, and where so many of his public services were performed, that the above remarks be spread upon the records of this meeting, to the end that the services of John Ross be recalled, and if possible be celebrated by some approprate testimonial. on the part of the public.
Dr. Foreman, having moved its adoption, his motion was seconded and carried.
The President reported as to the Spiro Mound project, that the work bad been completed.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that the President be authorized to take such steps as are necessary to provide museum cases for the material secured from the excavation of the Spiro Mound with use of necessary available funds for such purpose. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported that the pamphlet regarding the history and various educational features of the Historical Society has been prepared and published and was ready for distribution.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that the report of Dr. Grant Foreman be received and that he be extended a vote of thanks for his services. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that a vote of thanks be extended to the President and Faculty of the College and the citizens and various clubs and agencies for the entertainment provided for this meeting. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the Indian-Pioneer History project stating that the editing of the material would continue until July 1, 1938.
Colonel A. N. Leecraft moved that Dr. Foreman be authorized, as this material is bound at the expense of the society, to place a statement on the bookplate that this material was assembled through a Works Progress Administration project, the Oklahoma Historical Society and the Oklahoma University being sponsors. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the restoration of the barracks and buildings at old Fort Gibson, and asked to be relieved therefrom except as to the stockade.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that a committee of five be appointed to supervise the maintenance of the barracks and buildings at Fort Gibson. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary read the following resolution:
Be it resolved that the President of the Oklahoma Historical Society be authorized to appoint a committee of two with himself as ex officio member constituting a committee to work with the National Park Service and the State Planning Board officials in the preparation of a tentative plan for the preservation of historic sites in Oklahoma, which shall be included in the general State plan. This plan shall include recommendations for legislation, administration, and a survey of the problem of specific sites which should be acquired.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that the resolution be adopted. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Secretary read the following list of applicants for annual membership in the Society:
Hampton W. Anderson, Dallas, Texas; Waldo Joseph Bashaw, Tulsa; Hazel E. Beaty, Oklahoma City; C. E. Burlingame, Bartlesville; Mrs. Helen S. Carpenter, Shawnee; Mrs. Byron Cavnar, Hinton; Frank M,. Colville, Alhambra, California; Ella M. Covel, Tahlequah; Mrs. Lillian P. Davis, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Adelaide DeSaussure, Oklahoma City; Frances Elizabeth Duke, Oklahoma City; B. H. Elliott, Tulsa; Frank F. Finney, Bartlesville; Mrs. Eula C. Froman, Weatherford; Mrs. Clarence A. Gwyn, Kingfisher; John J. Harrison, Holdenville; J. D. Hartzler, Partridge, Kansas; George DeWitt Holden, Arlington, Virginia; Mabel Davis Holt, Stillwater; Arthur B. Honnold, Tulsa; Mrs. Gilbert L. Hyroop, Oklahoma City; Thomas Ray Lankford, Britton; Harley E. Lee, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Garnett R. Love, Denison, Texas; Robert Lee Lunsford, Cleveland; W. P. Neff, Miami; Henry J. Polk, Sweetwater, Texas; Vinnie Ream, Wapanucka; Carter Smith, Tulsa; W. A. Thompson, Tahlequah; Willis M. Timmons, Jr., Atlanta, Georgia; Jack Tuggle, Oklahoma City; Christian Adolph Vammen, Oaks; Dr. S. C. Venable, Tulsa; Fred G. Watts, Shawnee; Mrs. Sam Weir, Springfield, Missouri; Malcolm W. Williamson, Maysville; A. T. Winn, Oklahoma City.
Upon motion, duly seconded, they were elected to annual membership in the Society.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that Dr. Herbert P. Gambrell be thanked for his excellent address and that it be published in the Chronicles and that his expenses for the trip be authorized and paid. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. John M. Wilson presented to the Society a unique frame that he had secured from the old John Ross place at Rossville, Georgia.
Judge Wm. P. Thompson moved that it be received, and the donor thanked. Motion was seconded and carried.
The meeting recessed subject to the call of the President.
A visit was paid to the Sequoyah memorial.