Chronicles of Oklahoma

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Chronicles Homepage
Search all Volumes
Copyright 2001
Purchase an Issue

Table of Contents Index Volume List Search All Volumes Home

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 14, No. 3
September, 1936
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS.

Page 383

The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, July 23, 1936, at 10:00 A. M., with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, presiding.

Roll call showed the following members present: Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Judge Robert A. Hefner, Gen. William S. Key, Mrs. Frank Korn, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mr. John B. Meserve, Mr. W. J. Peterson, Judge Baxter Taylor, Dr. J. B. Thoburn, Judge William P. Thompson, Mrs. John R. Williams, Judge R. L. Williams and Dan W. Peery, the Secretary.

Upon motion, duly seconded, the reading of the minutes of the quarterly meeting held April 23, 1936, was dispensed with.

Col. A. N. Leecraft introduced Mr. W. J. Peterson, the new member of the Board.

The Secretary read his report on the activities of the Society for the second quarter, and submitted the report of the Works Progress Administration at the Historical building.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the WPA report be printed in Chronicles of Oklahoma. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams read a letter from Dr. Grant Foreman in regard to compiling the Union List of Newspapers for the entire United States and particularly Oklahoma, and presented Mr. James J. Hill, assistant librarian of the University of Oklahoma, who discussed the matter further and explained what was necessary to complete the list for publication.

Gen. William S. Key, State Director of the Works Progress Administration, assumed responsibility for the completion of the work of preparing this Union list of Newspapers for publication.

Mrs. John R. Williams presented to the Society, as a loan, a pictograph of the history of the Kiowa Indians, which was originally owned by Neal Evans, a post trader at Fort Reno, and is now owned by his grandsons, Neal Maurer and William A. Maurer.

Judge William P. Thompson moved that we accept the loan of this pictograph. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Chair appointed General Barrett, Judge Taylor and Judge Thompson to invite the representatives of Harmony Chapter No. 3 of the American Wax Mothers to come before the Board and present a memorial quilt on which is embroidered the names of World war veterans and their mothers, the presentation being made by Mrs. Aulana Levens.

Gen. William S. Key moved that the gift be accepted and that we express our appreciation for the gift and more than all for the fine sentiment which it typifies. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. Sallie Wheeler, on behalf of the Harmony Chapter No. 3, American War Mothers asked permission to take the quilt back and complete

Page 384

the inscriptions on it at which time it is to be returned to the Museum, which permission was granted.

Judge R. L. Williams read his report on behalf of the committee who supervised the construction of the Sequoyah Memorial.

Judge William P. Thompson moved that this report be printed is Chronicles. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams reported the following expenses incurred in connection with the Sequoyah Memorial: Night watchman for the Sequoyah Home until taken over by the WPA, $5.00 and Muskogee Tin Shop & Roofing Company, $3.50 for copper box for corner stone in the Sequoyah Memorial building.

Judge William P. Thompson moved that these bills be allowed and paid out of our funds. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, requested Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Vice President to take the chair.

The Secretary reported an application for the position of custodian for the Sequoyah Memorial building.

Judge Samuel W. Hayes moved that applications for Custodian be referred to the committee in charge of Sequoyah Memorial park. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Robert A. Hefner moved that Judge R. L. Williams, Mr. W. W. Hastings and Dr. Grant Foreman be thanked for the work they did in promoting the Sequoyah Memorial, and that this committee be continued. Motion was seconded and carried.

The following list of applicants for annual membership was read:

Mrs. Elsie May Barnes, Oklahoma City; W. A. Beam, Haskell; Mrs. J. K. Campbell, Jackson, Tennessee; Mrs. Rosa L. Chism, Oklahoma City; Withers Clay, Tulsa; H. J. Conhaim, Tulsa; Charles E. DeLaughter, Oklahoma City; Ned P. DeWitt, Oklahoma City; H. F. Donnelley, Enid; W. H. Fox, Marshall; Mrs. J. R. Fryrear, Chickasha; Fred T. Haddock, Tulsa; Edna Hoagland, Medford; B. B. Holland, Amarillo, Texas; Mrs. Etta E. Howland, Oklahoma City; Fred W. Insull, Tulsa; Harold Keith, Norman; Mrs. Maude E. Long, Oklahoma City; H. H. McKeever, Enid; Robert E. Mahaffey, Oklahoma City; Clarence Markham, Muskogee; Joe Paskvan, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Ora Rieser, Atoka; Robert H. Slover, Oklahoma City; J. Hiram Tandy, Tulsa; M. M. Tate, Oklahoma City; T. J. Traynor, Enid and Virgil O. Wood, Tulsa.

Gen. William S. Key moved that they be elected annual members of the Oklahoma Historical Society, which motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. Frank Korn presented a bill for $2.00 for changing the lock on the kitchenette, which upon motion was allowed and ordered to be paid.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the report of Dr. Grant Foreman on the WPA project for the Historical Society be received and filed, and a letter of thanks be written to Doctor Foreman. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Campbell moved that the financial report of the donations and expenses incurred in regard to the Fort Gibson project be accepted and filed. Motion was seconded and carried.

Page 385

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the donors be thanked for their contributions for the purchase and restoration of the old barracks building, the bakery and the ammunition building at Fort Gibson. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that each Indian who had contributed to the Sequoyah memorial be written a letter of thanks, under the seal of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. J. B. Thoburn discussed the donation of two pieces of artillery that had come into the possession of the Historical Society, during the administration of Governor William H. Murray and moved that one piece be donated to the Fort Gibson Stockade Commission to be placed in the enclosure. Motion was seconded and carried.

Upon motion the Board resolved itself into an executive session.

Executive session being dissolved the Board continued.

Mr. John B. Meserve moved that the Secretary be requested to draw up suitable resolutions of sympathy and convey them to the President of the Society for the bereavement he had sustained in the loss of his wife. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mr. W. J. Peterson presented the request of the Creek Indian Memorial Association for certain back numbers of Chronicles for their library. Upon motion, duly seconded the donation was authorized.

Dr. J. B. Thoburn presented a memorandum from Mr. Robert H. Slover, State Supervisor, Historical Records Survey, listing the material in certain counties and cities that should be collected by the Historical Society.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the incoming secretary, J. W. Moffitt, who is to assume his duties as secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society on September 1st, make request upon officials both state and county within this state having custody of any seal, record, original paper or other document not required by laws of this state to be retained as a part of the record of such office, that same be delivered to him as a transfer to the Oklahoma Hisotrical Society, as provided in Section 4896, Okla. Stat. 1931, and as proivded in Section 6, Article 16, page 64, Session Laws Oklahoma, 1936, wherein it is provided:

"Any official of the State, or any sub-division thereof, having the custody of any seal, record, original paper or other document not required by laws of this State to be retained as a part of the record of such office shall transfer the same to the Oklahoma Historical Society to be held by it."

Robert H. Slover, State Supervisor Historical Records Survey Federal Writers' Project, has caused to be made a survey of such records in the possession of county officers. The county officers do not have adequate facilities to keep and preserve such records and the room available to them is now becoming over crowded and there is no available additional storage space and it is important that these records be speedily gathered up and brought to the Oklahoma Historical Society where the same may be placed in steel cases, there being available room for such cases in the room heretofore occupied by the secretary of the Indian educational department. In the government's survey, these records have been gathered and they can now be assembled and transferred to the Historical Society with great convenience, and this resolution directs the secretary, J. W. Moffitt, to proceed as soon as he can conveniently and speedily to

Page 386

begin the assembling of such records. But before he begins the matter should be taken up with the Attorney General of the state and he should receive an opinion from him so that he can present it to the county officers so they will understand how far they may go in transferring these records to the custody of the Historical Society. In the event the local authorities should have occasion for the use of certified copies of these records under Section 7, Article 16, page 65 Session Laws 1935, it is the duty of the secretary or chief clerk of the board of directors of the Historical Society to furnish such certified copies when required in the transaction of the business of the state without fee—and the county is the agent of the state. This applies to all certified copies of records, papers or other documents, including excerpts and parts of all newspapers on file, and papers and archives held by said society. The secretary is directed to begin his work in assembling these records upon these conditions from the counties in the following order: Carter, Muskogee, Pittsburg, Craig, Ottawa, Grady, Kiowa, Osage, Kingfisher, Logan, Canadian, Tulsa, Caddo, Washington, Oklahoma, Cleveland, Noble and Woods, as the report of Mr. R. H. Slover shows that the space for the custody of such records is especially crowded in these counties. It is especially important that he receive an opinion letter from the Attorney General so that he may show it to the county officers that have the custody of these records and that he may be advised as to his authority in the premises. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge Thomas H. Doyle moved that the Society accept the offer of Larry Pendleton to furnish a portrait of William P. Campbell, founder of the Oklahoma Historical Society, for the price specified; namely, $100. Motion was seconded and carried.

On motion the meeting stood adjourned.

Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President,
Presiding.

Dan W. Peery, Secretary.

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site