Muskogee, Oklahoma, July 16, 1936.
Oklahoma Historical Society,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
The corner stone of the Sequoyah Memorial was laid on June 12, 1936, the memorial being located on the South Thirty (30) feet of the SE/4 of the SW/4 of the NW/4, and the North Six Hundred and Thirty (630) feet of the NE/4 of the NW/4 of the SW/4 of Section 15, Township 12 North, Range 25 East, in Sequoyah County, Oklahoma, about ten or twelve miles northeast of Sallisaw. The memorial exercises began at eleven o'clock in the morning with the following program:
Music by Northeast State Teachers Band.
1:00 P. M., Barbecue.
The memorial is now in process of construction and completion.
We herewith beg to present to the Society the title papers to the land on which the memorial is situated, to-wit:
Warranty deed executed by Thomas Blair Matheson, his wife Sue Jane Matheson and his mother Pearl M. Matheson, in favor of the State of Oklahoma, for the use of the Oklahoma Historical Society as a department of the State of Oklahoma, within the meaning of Section 11935, Oklahoma Statutes 1931, and Section 3, Article 16, Chapter 24, Oklahoma Session Laws 1935, and Article 15, Chapter 24, Oklahoma Session Laws 1935, and Sections 4893 to 4896, Oklahoma Statutes 1931, covering the following real estate situate in Sequoyah County, State of Oklahoma, to-wit:
The South Thirty (30) feet of the SE/4 of the SW/4 of the NW/4, and the North Six Hundred and Thirty (630) feet of the NE/4 of the NW/4 of the SW/4 of Section 15, Township 12 North, Range 25 East, said deed being dated February 24, 1936, and signed by Thomas Blair Matheson, Sue Jane Matheson and Pearl M. Matheson, and acknowledged before Floyd Green, a Notary Public; which said deed is duly filed for record in the County Clerk's office for Sequoyah County February 27, 1936, at three o'clock P. M. and recorded in Book No. 127 at Page No. 445.
Also certified copy of Journal Entry in the condemnation proceedings in the following styled case: State of Oklahoma for the use and benefit of the Oklahoma Historical Society, Plaintiff, vs. Thomas Blair Matheson, Sue Jane Matheson, Pearl M. Matheson, No. 6908 in the District Court of Sequoyah County, State of Oklahoma, said journal entry having been entered on February 18, 1936, and said certified copy having been filed for record in the office of the County Clerk for Sequoyah County February 27, 1936, at 3:10 o'clock P. M. and recorded in Book No. 127, at page 446.
We beg to state we have acquired this property without any expense being charged to this Society except $3.50 which is due
the Muskogee Tin & Roofing Company for a 9" x 4" x 8" copper box which was placed in the corner stone, and $5.00 paid to Jeff Dodson by R. L. Williams for sleeping in the old Sequoyah Home until the WPA took charge. The party who had been living in the old Sequoyah Home moved out and we deemed it inadvisable to leave the building without protection and arranged with this man, who lived nearby and who was considered a safe man, to sleep there at nights for a dollar a week. This amount couldn't be paid by the WPA and there was no other fund available to pay it. There was no expense incurred on the part of the committee. The committee paid it's own expense. The WPA had no fund available with which to pay for the copper box or the corner stone or inscription thereon. We took the matter up with Mr. W. N. Gifford, manager of the Gifford Marble & Granite Works, North and York Streets, Muskogee, Oklahoma, and he agreed to make the inscription without charge to the Historical Society. We then endeavored to procure a proper corner stone without cost to the Society, but the stones we procured were not suitable and Mr. Gifford donated a corner stone of Carthage stone from Carthage, Missouri. So this Society should formally thank Mr. Gifford for such a fine spirit in the promotion of this memorial.
The corner stone is laid on the northeast corner and on the north side appears the following inscription:
A.F. & A.M.
W. M. John L. Stuart
June 12, A. D. 1936. A. L. 5936."
And on the east side appears the following inscription:
W. P. A. Project
W. S. Key, Administrator
Willard Stone, Architect
Oklahoma Historical Society
R. L. Williams
The corner stone and inscription as we have stated is without cost to the Historical Society and we ask that the Board pass an appropriate resolution thanking the Gifford Marble & Granite Works for same.
The citizens of Sequoyah County and surrounding country evidenced their appreciation by providing an ample and hountiful barbecue, which was well served to a multitude estimated by some to be as many as 5,000. It was a most orderly assembly. The full-blood and mixed blood Indians turned out in great mass and evidenced their interest and appreciation of the honor that was bestowed on a member of their race. We recommend that the Board pass an appropriate resolution thanking the citizens of Sequoyah County and surrounding country for their cooperation and providing such a well planned barbecue and entertainment on that occasion, and also thanking the Indians for the entertainment furnished by their Indian ball games and cornstalk shoot.
We beg to report that after the finishing of the stone building, which is to be 42 x 44 feet, covering the old Sequoyah Home, and the construction of a stone wall around the ten acres of land, that we are planning to have water works, electric lights and sewerage, and also nearby an Indian village. Assistant Commissioner of Indian Affairs, A. C. Monahan, has expressed his approval of our plans, and the Indian Department expects to aid us to bring about the full fruition and consummation of these plans.
We also suggest a resolution thanking General W. S. Key for his services in the premises.
All members of the Board of Directors of the Historical Society were notified of the date of the laying of the corner stone. Dr. Emma Estill Harbour, Vice President, and Judge Harry Campbell were in attendance in addition to General W. S. Key, Dr. Grant Foreman, W. P. Thompson, and Judge R. L. Williams.
Donors to the fund to purchase the Sequoyah Home are shown in Exhibit A, hereto attached.
R. L. Williams,