The regular annual meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society convened in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, January 23, 1936, at 10:00 A. M., with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll, which showed the following members present: Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge William P. Thompson, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Mr. James H. Gardner, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Mr. Jasper Sipes, Mrs. Frank Korn, Mr. George R Evans, Dr. J. B. Thoburn, Gen. R. A. Sneed, Judge Thomas H. Doyle Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mr. John B. Meserve, Judge R. L. Williams, Dr. E. E. Dale, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Dr. Grant Foreman, Gen. William S. Key, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, Judge Robert A. Hefner and Dan W. Peery, the Secretary.
The Secretary stated that Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson and Judge Samuel W. Hayes had reported their inability to attend this session, and the Chair ruled that in the absence of any objection the excuses offered were sufficient reasons for their absence.
The Secretary presented the minutes of the meeting of the Board of Directors, held October 24, 1936, and upon motion of Judge Thomas A. Edwards the reading of the minutes was dispensed with at this time.
Judge R. L. Williams, chairman of the committee on prizes offered to senior students in high schools and junior colleges for historical papers, tendered his resignation as a member of this committee, and moved that Dr. E. E. Dale be placed on this committee and that some one from the office of the State Board of Education also be placed on this committee. Judge Robert A. Hefner seconded the motion which was carried.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore reported that the old council house of the Chickasaws had been moved to the grounds of the Murray School of Agriculture, at Tishomingo, and the work of restoration had been completed.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Society have a marker placed on the old Chickasaw council house, showing that the work of restoration had been done by the Oklahoma Historical Society, and that Mrs. Moore be continued on this committee to see that the marker is secured and properly placed. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. Jasper Sipes, chairman of the committee to mark the Washington Irving trail requested further time to make a report, which was granted.
Judge William P. Thompson, appointed to secure the debates and the constitution of the Sequoyah convention, requested an extension of time in which to complete his work, which was granted.
Mr. Jasper Sipes, chairman of the committee to secure the portrait of the late R. K. Wooten, reported that the portrait had been secured and is now in the Historical building.
Mrs. John R. Williams, appointd to secure a portrait of the incumbent Governor, reported that Mrs. Blanche Lucas had tendered her picture of the Governor and presented it to the Society.
The Secretary reported that the matter of securing a portrait of the late J. J. Culbertson, Sr., had been taken up with Mrs. J. J. Culbertson and her daughter, Mrs. A. B. Potter, and was assured that a portrait would be donated in due time.
Mrs. John R. Williams, in pursuance to a resolution previously adopted by the Board, reported that one of the Board members, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, had tendered her photograph to the Society.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the photograph of Mrs. Blanche Lucas be received and framed, and she be thanked for same. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that all portraits be marked, showing the names of subjects and donors. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Secretary be instructed to secure a bottle of white ink to be kept for autographing photographic portraits. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. J. B. Thoburn moved that the art committee be continued and that Judge Robert A. Hefner be added to the committee to take the place of the late W. A. Ledbetter. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. John B. Meserve read a letter from Cyrus S. Avery, Director of WPA for District No. 1, in regard to marking the corner where Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma join, and also discussed the project of marking the point where Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas meet.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that the Historical Society co-operate with the WPA Director for Northeastern Oklahoma in regard to marking these corners, and that a committee of three be appointed to carry out this work. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge William P. Thompson moved that this committee be instructed to get in touch with Mr. Avery and ascertain if markers can be erected at these points. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed Judge Harry Campbell, Mr. John B Meserve and Judge William P. Thompson as this committee.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that a committee of five be appointed to mark historic spots, and that one-half of the sum appropriated by the legislature for markers be set aside to be used for this purpose, and that the committee solicit donations for this purpose, and that Gen. William S. Key be requested to take this matter up with the Federal Government, and that the Board act in conjunction with the State University and that Mr. James H. Gardner be chairman of this committee, the committee to be so constituted as to represent the different sections of the state. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams, reported that Mr. John B. Meserve had been working on an article on Coleman Cole and that Peter Hudson had assisted Mr. Meserve in doing research work relative thereto, and moved that Peter Hudson be paid $10.00 out of the private funds of the Society for his expenses. Motion was seconded and carried.
The President asked Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Vice President, to take the chair.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle, pursuant to a resolution of the Board of Directors at the meeting held October 24, 1935, read the opinion of the
Attorney General relative to the salary of the custodian of newspapers and magazines, concluding as follows:
"It is the opinion of the Attorney General that Section 17, Article 25, schedule to the Constitution, and that part of Section 1, Article 15, Chapter 24, Oklahoma Session Laws of 1935, creating the position of 'custodian for newspapers and magazines' and fixing the salary thereof, makes an appropriation by law to pay the same and that the appropriation made in the general appropriation bill for a lesser amount is ineffective to reduce said salary from $1500.00 to $1200.00. The Attorney General holds that the person holding the position of 'custodian for newspapers and magazines' and performing the services of such position is entitled to be paid at the rate of $1500.00 per annum."
The President then resumed the chair.
Judge R. L. Williams transmitted to the Society a longhand copy of the Creek laws in force prior to 1867 compiled by Chief Sam Checote, and moved that the book be accepted and put in the vault for safe keeping, and that the donor be thanked for this contribution, and that ten photostatic copies be made of same and be retained for use. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. J. B. Thoburn discussed the marking of the northwest corner of the state, through the WPA project, and moved that the corner where New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma join and the point where Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado meet be marked. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman made his report on the WPA project and moved that the shelving on the landing on the second floor be vacated and the space used for letter press copy books, etc. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman made an additional report on the work he had been doing for the Historical Society and stated that he would be glad to submit a summary of the material collected by him and deposited in the archives of the Society. A discussion followed in which it was suggested that Mr. Foreman prepare a summary of this material and have it included in the forthcoming issue of Chronicles of Oklahoma.
(A summary of the material referred to will be found in the body of Chronicles.)
Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the rebuilding of the old stockade at Fort Gibson, and also on the project of securing the ten acres of ground on which the old home of Sequoyah stands.
Dr. Grant Foreman discussed the land office records in the State Law Library, and moved that the Board of Directors request the Law Library to deposit these records in the Historical building, with the Historical Society as custodian, for safe keeping. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that Mrs. Rella Watts, the archivist, be permitted to take copies of the Reports of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs to her home for further study to assist her in her work of indexing and cataloguing the Indian records. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that a directory of the building be prepared and placed in the lobby on the first floor. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Frank Korn made a report on the room set aside for the various Women's organizations.
Dr. Grant Foreman asked to be relieved of further duty on the editorial committee.
Mr. John B. Meserve moved that the Board of Directors unanimously ask Dr. Grant Foreman to withdraw his resignation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. Peery, the Secretary, read a letter from the Chaplain of the U. S. S. Oklahoma, expressing appreciation for the gift of a bound file of Chronicles of Oklahoma, for the library of the battleship Oklahoma.
Mrs. John R. Williams presented to the Society for its archives a small picture of the temporary capitol building at Guthrie, the gift of Alfaretta Jennings, which was ordered received, and the donor thanked.
Judge R. L. Williams presented the following resolution in regard to continuation of members of the Board of Directors:
It appearing that no petition was presented and filed with the Secretary to place any names on the ballot to succeed the directors whose terms would expire in January, 1936, to-wit: Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Cordell; Judge William P. Thompson, Oklahoma City; Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Edmond; Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Wayne; and Mr. James H. Gardner, Tulsa, that they be declared and recorded as having been elected under the terms of the constitution to succeed themselves for another full term, and that they are accordingly declared to have been so elected as members of the Board for such term. And Judge Robert A. Hefner, Sr., having been appointed to succeed Mrs. T. B. Ferguson ad interim, and no petition having been filed to have any name placed one the ballot to be voted on to succeed her, it is hereby recorded that he was elected in accordance with the provisions of the constitution to fill out her term, and he is declared to have been so elected.
Upon motion of Judge R. L. Williams, which was duly seconded, the foregoing resolution was adopted.
The Secretary presented his annual report, which upon motion of Judge R. L Williams was ordered received and filed.
The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for membership:
LIFE: Minnie Shockley, Alva.
ANNUAL: Mrs. Omer K. Benedict, Tulsa; Dr. Clarence W. Bixler, Erie, Colorado; George Bushyhead, Claremore; O. E. Carter, Oklahoma City; Judge C. C. Chastain, Chickasha; Stanley A. Clark, Oklahoma City; Dr. Royden Dangerfield, Norman; Dr. Marion Donehew, Oklahoma City; R. B. Duckett, Tyrone; Allen Y. Dunn, Reno, Nevada; Clark Field, Tulsa.; Hattie French, Oklahoma City; Rosa L. Harris, Claremore; Charles B. Leedy, Arnett; L. T. Low, Ada; S. E. Matthews, Oklahoma City; Mrs. John B. Meserve, Tulsa; Minnie Mae Miller, Tulsa; Cecil Moore, Muskogee; Breck Moss, Oklahoma City; Essie Mae Nall, Alva; Maxine Dickering, Henryetta; Mrs A. B. Potter, Oklahoma City; Frances Quarles, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Lona Shawver, Oklahoma City; Minor M. Smith, Oklahoma City; and Mrs. G. C. Spillers, Tulsa.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore presented the name of James W. Moffitt, Shawnee, for annual membership.
Upon motion of Judge Thomas A. Edwards they were all received as members of the Society.
Upon motion the Board of Directors went into executive session.
JUDGE THOMAS H. DOYLE, President,
DAN W. PEERY, Secretary.