OCTOBER 24, 1935.
The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society was held October 24, 1935, in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, at 10:00 A. M., with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present: Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge William P. Thompson, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Mr. James H. Gardner, Mr. Jasper Sipes, Mr. George H. Evans, Gen. R. A. Sneed, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Mr. John B. Meserve, Judge R. L. Williams, Dr. E. E. Dale, Dr. Grant Foreman, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, Judge Robert A. Hefner, and Dan W. Peery, the Secretary.
The Secretary reported that messages bad been received from Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Col. A. N. Leecraft, and Dr. J. B. Thoburn explaining their inability to attend this meeting, and it was also reported that Gen. Charles F. Barrett and Gen. William S. Key were out of the city on official business.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that explanations for absence be accepted and that Gen. Charles F. Barrett and Gen. William S. Key be excused also. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented the following resolution:
It appearing that no petition was presented and filed with the Secretary to place any name on the ballot to succeed the directors whose terms would expire in January, 1935, to-wit: Gen. W. S. Key, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams and Mrs. T. B. Ferguson, that they be declared and recorded as having been elected under the terms of the constitution to succeed themselves for another term, and that they are accordingly declared to have been so elected as members of the board for such term. And Judge W. A. Ledbetter, whose term would have expired in January, 1938, having died and Judge John B. Meserve having been appointed to succeed him ad interim, and no petition having been filed to have any name placed on the ballot to be voted on to succeed him, it is hereby recorded that he was elected in accordance with the provisions of the constitution for said term which would expire in January 1938, and he is declared to have been so elected.
Upon motion of Judge R. L. Williams the resolution was adopted and made nunc pro tune as a part of the minutes of the regular meeting held in January, 1934.
The Secretary read his report on the activities of the Society for the third quarter, and discussed the WPA project for the Historical Society.
The WPA project for the Society was also discussed by Judge R. L. Williams and Dr. Grant Foreman.
The Secretary made a verbal report on the, use that various organizations had made of the auditorium in the Historical building.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that it be a part of the duty of the Secretary to keep a record of all organizations using the auditorium and that it be published in Chronicles of Oklahoma. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented to the Society, for its archives, a train order issued by the Missouri, Pacific Railway Company, dated Denison, Texas, December 14, 1888, which was received by the Chair for the archives.
Judge R. L. Williams discussed the salary of the file clerk for newspapers, and moved that no more vouchers be issued for $125.00 per month until an opinion had been received from the Attorney General as to its validity, when only $1200 per annum had been appropriated by the Legislature for this position, and that the President or Secretary ask the Attorney General for an opinion as to the legal status of the matter. Motion was seconded.
The Vice President, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, was asked to take the chair.
The matter of the salary of the file clerk for newspapers was discussed by Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Judge Harry Campbell and Judge Samuel W. Hayes.
Upon vote the motion was carried.
Mrs. John R. Williams made a report on the picture of Gov. E. W. Marland, which had been presented to the Society by Mrs. Blanche Lucas, but had not reached the building.
Mrs. John R. Williams presented to the Society a report of the School Land Office for the year 1912, during which time her husband, the late John R. Williams, was Secretary of the School Land Office and Lee Cruce was Governor. The report was accepted and Mrs. Williams was thanked for this contribution to the Library.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that Mrs. J. J. Culbertson, Sr., be requested to donate a portrait of her late husband, J. J. Culbertson, Sr., to hang on the walls of the Historical building. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. George H. Evans read a letter from Judge C. Ross Hume, of Anadarko, and introduced Mr. Stanley Edge, a member of the Caddo Tribe and the interpreter who attended the Centennial of the signing of the treaty between the Caddo Indians and the United States, held at Shreveport, Louisiana, July 1, 1935. Mr. Edge also presented a picture of the delegation of Caddoes who attended this celebration and a picture of the Carlisle football team, taken in 1906.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore moved that these gifts be accepted and that Judge C. Ross Hume and others be thanked for their part in the matter. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams, chairman of the committee on employees, reported that Mr. C. C. Bush, Jr., had notified him that it would be impossible for him to accept the secretaryship of the Historical Society next January.
Judge Harry Campbell moved that the committee on employees be continued to receive applications and report the same to the Board with all data, but without recommendations on the part of the Committee. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Samuel W. Hayes reported that he and Mr. Jasper Sipes had been endeavoring to secure the portrait of the late R. K. Wooten, and moved that the President or Secretary write to Mrs. Wooten and express the desire of the Society to have such a portrait. Motion was seconded.
Judge R. L. Williams moved to amend by adding that Judge Hayes, Mr. Sipes and Mr. George H. Evans be appointed to confer with Mrs. Wooten in regard to a portrait of the late R. K. Wooten. The amendment was accepted and the motion as amended was carried.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle reported that Mr. Jasper Sipes, President of the Society for twenty-one years and now President Emeritus, had presented the Society an oil painting of himself, and it was moved that the members of the Board express their appreciation for this gift. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the Indian records that had been moved to the Historical Society building.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the progress made by the Fart Gibson Stockade Commission, especially in the way of securing funds to carry on this work.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that a list of the donors be made a part of the minutes of the Society, and also reported in the minutes incorporated in the Chronicles. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman reported that he had some work done for the Society, amounting to $11.00.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that these bills be allowed and paid out of the private funds of the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that Dr. Grant Foreman be authorized to expend for stenographic work a sum up to $50.00 to be paid out of the state funds when transferred from other funds so as to be used for such purpose. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman presented to the Society a picture of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Muskogee, taken in 1878, a gift of Dr. B. D. Weeks, President of Bacone College.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle moved that the picture, be accepted and that a note of thanks be written to Doctor Weeks. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman presented a picture of the football team of Henry Kendall College, taken in 1897, and a picture of the home in Muskogee of the late Judge and Mrs. N. B. Moore, both gifts of Mrs. Grant Foreman.
Upon motion the picture was accepted and Mrs. Foreman thanked for the donation.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore moved that Dr. E. E. Dale, Dr. Grant Foreman and Dr. J. B. Thoburn continue their work in tracing the trails of Oklahoma and having a map made of same. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman presented to the Society a flag, used on the Indian Territory building at the World's Fair in St. Louis, 1904, a chair that came from Italy and used in the Italian exhibit at the World's Fair, and a medal engraved "1903, Indian Territory, Executive Commissioner,
Universal Exposition, 1904, St. Louis, Missouri," all the gift of Mrs. E. H. Hubbard, of Muskogee. Upon motion the gifts were accepted and the donor thanked for same.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle discussed the landscaping of the ground surrounding the Historical building.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the President and Secretary present the request of the Board of Directors to the State Board of Affairs, asking to have this landscaping work done. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair presented Mr. O. E. Brewster, of Crescent, Oklahoma, Secretary of the Cherokee Cowpunchers Association, who presented to the Society a picture entitled "The Vanishing Herd," painted upon a buffalo hide; also upon the same hide are the names of the some four or five hundred members of the Association. Most of the painting was done by the late Col. E. W. Lenders, and shows the cow brands of the different ranches. Mr. Brewster requested that the picture be put in a glass case for preservation as an exhibit of the Cherokee Cowpunchers Association and placed in the museum.
Mr. John B. Meserve moved that the painting be accepted and that a committee be appointed to secure the case. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed Mr. Meserve, Dr. E. E. Dale and Dr. Grant Foreman to secure the case.
The Secretary presented to the Society a book of 292 pages, the same being a brief filed by the attorneys Charles Merritt and Charles L. Kappler in the Court of Claims of the United States, Washington, D. C., these attorneys representing the Wichita and affiliated tribes in Oklahoma. The Brief is a gift to the Society from Charles L. Kappler, recognized authority on Indian Laws and Treaties in United States.
Upon motion the book was accepted and Mr. Kappler thanked for same.
Mr. John B. Meserve introduced the two new members of the Board of Directors, Mr. James H. Gardner of Tulsa, and Judge Robert A. Hefner of Oklahoma City.
Mr. Sipes discussed the Washington Irving Trail as outlined in A Tour on the Prairies, and suggested that one marker be placed in each county where a trail crosses the public highway.
Judge William P. Thompson moved that a committee of three, with Mr. Sipes as chairman, be appointed to assist in erecting a monument to Washington Irving where the trail crosses the public highway. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed Mr. James H. Gardner and Judge Robert A. Hefner to assist Mr. Sipes.
Mrs. Moore reported that markers had been placed at Camp Holmes and at Camp Mason, a short distance north of Lexington, and one planned where the California trail crosses highway No. 77 north of Wayne.
The Secretary reported the following list of applicants for annual membership in the Society:
Mrs. Jennie Baker, Memphis, Tennessee; C. E. Bearse, Okmulgee; Mrs. Neda Parker Birdsong, Cache; O. E. Brewster, Crescent; Mrs. Floy
Elliott Cobb, Tulsa; E. D. Cornelius, Ft. Wingate, N. Mex.; Sister Ermenhilda, Okarche; Abe Grad, Carnegie; William S. Hamilton, Pawhuska; Ellis H. Hammett, Coweta; Alexander Johnston, Tulsa; Mrs. F. A. Lee, Clinton; W. J. Milburn, Oklahoma City; Edward F. McKay, Oklahoma City; Barney McKellop, Wewoka; M. A. Nelson, Tulsa; Ernest G. Pickett, Shattuck; Fred Teten, Shattuck; Hugh E. Tyson, Oklahoma City; Howard F. Van Zandt, Muskogee; Harry Watts, Okmulgee; Mrs. E. 0. Wheat, Stratford; J. W. Wheat, Cleora; James Brookes Wright, McAlester.
Upon motion they were received into the Society.
The meeting stood adjourned.
Thomas H. Doyle,
Dan W. Peery, Secretary