The quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society was called to order in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, at 10:00 A. M. July 25, 1935, with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, presiding.
The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present: Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge William P. Thompson, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Mr. George H. Evans, Gen. R. A. Sneed, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson, Mr. John B. Meserve, Judge R. L. Williams, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Dr. Grant Foreman, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Gen. William S. Key, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, and Dan W. Peery, the Secretary.
The Secretary reported that letters were received explaining the absence of Dr. E. E. Dale, who was teaching in Ohio State University for the summer term and Judge Harry Campbell who was in California attending a meeting of the American Bar Association, and it was reported that Mrs. Frank Korn was sick.
The reading of the minutes of the meeting of the Board of Directors held April 25, 1935, was dispensed with since the minutes were printed in Chronicles, with the following correction: on page 3, 8th paragraph the word and should be inserted between University and at making it read at Arkansas State University and at Fort Smith.
The Secretary read his report on the activities of the Society for the second quarter.
The Treasurer read her report for the second quarter, which showed a balance of $777.00 in the treasury, which report was ordered received and filed.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore reported progress on moving the old Chickasaw Council House to the grounds of the County Court House, which was formerly the old capitol grounds, and restoring same.
Judge R. L. Williams, chairman of the committee on employees, read the following report:
"The committee heretofore appointed relative to Secretary, Librarian and other employees beginning on the Thursday after the fourth Wednesday in January, 1936, having carefully investigated and considered the matter, by a majority vote of the entire committee, recommend C. C. Bush, Jr., for Secretary beginning on said date and ask for further time for report as to Librarian and other employees; and moved that the report be adopted. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented to the Society for its archives a card issued to Walter G. Gibbons by J. M. Aydelotte, Chairman of the Oklahoma State Council of Defense, dated Dec. 6, 1917, and signed by R. L. Williams, as Governor, which upon motion was ordered received as part of the archives of the Society.
The request of the State Game and Fish Commission for space in the Historical Building for office and exhibits was discussed, and upon motion space was granted in the Historical building for exhibits only.
Miss Muriel H. Wright presented a WPA project which proposed a study of the Indians of Oklahoma with respect to their histories. biographies, languages, customs, music, art and folklore, and asked for space in the Historical building for the office force.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that office space where available be allocated to the Indian WPA project. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that those in charge of said project be permitted to use what is called the Women's Room temporarily for this work. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman discussed the room and equipment necessary for the WPA workers on the Historical Society project, and moved that the Directors' Room be assigned for cataloguing, indexing and classifying Indian records placed in our custody by the United States Government. Motion was seconded.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore moved to amend by also providing that all tables be covered with cloth, the expense to be paid out of the private funds of the society if no other funds are available, and that machines be placed on improvised tables, that is that the tables be protected from damage. The amendment to the motion was accepted.
Judge R. L. Williams moved to further amend by adding that access be had to all reading rooms for work in cataloguing and indexing newspapers, and that space for each department be worked out and set aside so that the Historical Society in sponsoring this project have first claim for space available. The amendment to the amendment was accepted, and the motion as thus amended was carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that the Governor be requested to, authorize the transfer of $1500.00 from the Publication Fund (Acct. No. 181936 Fund) to the supply fund to provide for all necessary material for the WPA workers in both projects. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman read the following resolution:
WHEREAS, the Printing Press is the great civilizing influence and the most potent agency through which progress and culture have been promoted and achieved within the State of Oklahoma; and
WHEREAS, the first printing press within the State began the work of producing books and pamphlets in the summer of 1835, and
WHEREAS, thoughtful persons appreciative of our progress recognize the significance of this cultural agency and the propriety of observing the one hundredth anniversary of its beginning;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society in quarterly meeting express the hope that the people of Oklahoma consider and appreciate the tremendous influence of the printing press on the destiny of our State and the welfare of our citizens and join with the Oklahoma Press Association and the University of Oklahoma Press in calling for an appropriate observance of the centenary of an event so vital to our history, and of the illustrious career of the fourth estate during the succeeding one hundred years; and we further pledge the Oklahoma Historical
Society to cooperate with the Oklahoma Press Association and the University of Oklahoma Press in making the proposed celebration an occasion in keeping with its importance and significance.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that a committee of five, with Mr. George H. Evans as chairman, be appointed to co-operate with the Oklahoma Press Association and the University of Oklahoma Press in celebrating this forthcoming anniversary of the introduction of the printing press in Oklahoma. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Dr. Grant Foreman and Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson to serve with Mr. Evans on this committee.
Dr. Grant Foreman discussed his visit to Arkansas to make a survey of Oklahoma material at Fayetteville and Fort Smith, and Judge R. L. Williams moved that Doctor Foreman be requested to correspond with Dr. Dallas Herndon, Director of the Arkansas Historical Commission, concerning these archives at Fayetteville, Fort Smith and other points in Arkansas, with a view of arranging a project from the Arkansas Commission for the assembling of such historical data. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that $150.00 be set aside out of the private funds of the Society, in two allotments of $75.00 each to be allocated as follows: First prize $25.00, second prize $20.00, third prize $15.00, fourth prize $10.00, and fifth prize $5.00. One allotment to be offered to seniors of Junior Colleges and the other allotment to the seniors of High Schools, the prizes from each respective allotment to be offered senior class students for best articles on towns and individuals who are deceased, and a committee of five to be appointed to arrange for such contest, the committee to limit length of articles, etc., and an extra copy of all articles to be filed with the Secretary of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman transmitted to the Society six pictures, which Samuel Worcester Robertson, brother of Hon. Alice M. Robertson, had presented to Mrs. Foreman.
A correction was offered to the minutes of the Annual Meeting held May 10-11, 1935, which appeared in the June number of Chronicles of Oklahoma, i. e. the omission of the following paragraphs:
"Mr. John B. Meserve, of Tulsa, presented to the Society a picture of the First Republican Convention held in Indian Territory, which met at McAlester in 1893.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the donation be accepted and that the Society thank Mr. Meserve for the same."
Mrs. John R. Williams presented to the Society for the Museum a piece of gold lace made in the Zenena Missions, Travancore, South India, the donors wishing their names withheld.
Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the lace be accepted and that a letter of thanks be written to the donors. Motion was seconded and carried.
The matter of books missing from the library was discussed, and It was reported that the book entitled "Musings of the Pilgrim Bard," by Scott Cummins had been loaned to Ex. Gov. William H. Murray and had not been returned.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Secretary be instructed to write to Ex. Gov. William H. Murray and request him to return this book. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed the following committee on the prize contest: Judge R. L. Williams; Chairman, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson, Mr. John B. Meserve and Col. A. N. Leecraft.
Dr. Grant Foreman called attention to the fact that Roy M. Johnson had forfeited his membership on the Board of Directors by reason of his continued absence from meetings of the Board of Directors, and nominated James H. Gardner to fill the unexpired term.
The President asked Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Vice President, to take the Chair.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle nominated Robert A. Hefner, Sr., to take the place of Roy M. Johnson on the Board.
Mr. John B. Meserve moved that Mrs. T. B. Ferguson's place on the Board be declared vacant on account of continued absence from meetings of the Board of Directors. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. John B. Meserve moved that James H. Gardner be nominated to fill the place of Roy M. Johnson and that Robert A. Hefner, Sr., be nominated to fill the place of Mrs. T. B. Ferguson on the Board of Directors, and further moved that the rules be suspended and that they be elected by acclamation. Motion was seconded and carried, and the Chair declared James H. Gardner and Robert A. Hefner, Sr., duly elected to serve on the Board of Directors until the next general election.
The following list of applicants for membership in the Society was submitted by the Secretary:
LIFE: Waite Phillips, Tulsa.
ANNUAL: James N. Beery, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. David L. Brown, Pontiac, Michigan; F. W. Cherryhomes, Tulsa; Chas. E. Cummings, Okmulgee; Judge F. Hiner Dale, Guymon; Mrs. Frank C. Doble, Cambridge, Mass.; F. S. Douglas, Sulphur; Edward E. Ellis, Oklahoma City; Mabel C. Fuller, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Marie Garland, Oklahoma City; Harry O. Glasser, Enid; Mrs. Harry O. Glasser, Enid; Bud Hatchcock, Tulsa; William A. Hiatt, Okmulgee; Ed. Hicks, Sr., Tahlequah; Roland Hinds, Weleetka; Frank S. Howard, Baron; Mrs. Sadie La Fon, Bartlesville; B. L. Maulsby, Enid; W. F. Newbold, Muskogee; T. C. Peters, Tulsa; R. D. Pine, Okmulgee; Randall Pitman, Shawnee; Rev. W. M. Rader, Okmulgee; Mrs. Gus Welch, Lawrence, Kans.; Mrs. Carl Wortz, Jr., Fort Smith, Arkansas; Icelle E. Wright, Stillwater.
Upon motion they were duly received into membership.
The Chair declared the meeting adjourned.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President,
Dan W. Peery,