Chronicles of Oklahoma

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Chronicles Homepage
Search all Volumes
Copyright 2001
Purchase an Issue

Table of Contents Index Volume List Search All Volumes Home

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 13, No. 2
June, 1935
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS,

Page 238

April 25, 1935.

The regular quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society was held in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, April 25, 1935, at 10:00 A. M. with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President, presiding.

The Secretary called the roll which showed the following members present:

Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge William P. Thompson, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mr. Jasper Sipes, Mrs. Frank Korn, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Mrs. Roberta C. Lawson, Judge R. L. Williams, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Dr. Grant Foreman, Judge Samuel W. Hayes, Gen. William S. Key, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams and Dan W. Peery, the Secretary.

The secretary read letters explaining the absence of Dr. E. E. Dale, Mr. George H. Evans and Col. A. N. Leecraft.

Upon motion of Judge Harry Campbell their absences were excused by unanimous vote of the directors.

At the request of Dr. Grant Foreman the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting of the Board of Directors held January 24, 1935, was dispensed with.

Judge R. L. Williams requested that part of the minutes relating to his donations to the Society be corrected to read that copies of the letters were presented to the Society, which correction was accepted upon motion of Mrs. Frank Korn.

The Secretary read his report on the activities of the Society for the first quarter ending April 25, 1935.

Judge R. L. Williams reported that Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, the treasurer of the Society, had telephoned that she would be unable to be present, and moved that her absence be excused. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams also explained that Mrs. Jessie R. Moore reported that the roof on the old Chickasaw council house, which is being restored, had been torn off in a storm, which would necessitate extra funds, and he moved that an additional $50.00 be set aside out of its private funds to provide for replacing the roof and making other necessary repairs. Motion was seconded and carried.

Judge R. L. Williams reported that Senate Bills Nos. 38 and 39, relating to the Historical Society, had been passed and signed by the Governor, fixing the positions and salaries of the employees of the Historical Society, and defining its authority.

Dr. Grant Foreman presented Dr. Forrest Clements, head of the Anthropological Department of the University of Oklahoma, who made a report on preserving historic mounds in the eastern part of the State,

Page 239

and explaining the necessity of securing more funds for leasing the sites on which these mounds are located.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that an additional $150.00 be allowed, out of the Society's funds, making a total of $450.00 to acquire the site on which these historic mounds are located for archaeological development, title to be approved by Judge Samuel W. Hayes before any money is paid out, and allocation of artifacts to be subject to the approval of this Board of Directors. Motion was seconded by Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour.

Judge R. L. Williams moved to amend, providing that the title and assignments be made to the Oklahoma Historical Society; and if the developments and explorations are made by the Oklahoma Historical Society and the University of Oklahoma that the artifacts be held jointly and divided between them. The amendment was accepted and the motion as amended was carried.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that a committee of five be appointed by the Chair to take charge of this matter of mounds and negotiate with the Park Commission relative to securing these sites for a state park. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Chair appointed on this committee Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Judge Harry Campbell, Dr. Grant Foreman, Gen. William S. Key and Judge R. L. Williams.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that Dr. Forrest Clements be made an official aid to this committee to contact the Park Commissioners. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Secretary read a letter from Governor E. W. Marland presenting his painting of the Indian Pageant, which now hangs in the art gallery of the Historical building, to the Historical Society.

Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society accept the painting and in appreciation of this gift the Board of Directors extend to Governor Marland a vote of thanks and tender him a life membership in the Oklahoma Historical Society. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.

The Secretary exhibited a silk state flag, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Young, of Edmond, Oklahoma.

Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the gift be accepted and that a vote of thanks be extended through the Secretary to Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Young. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman made a report on the Indian archives that had been transferred to the Historical building and moved that an additional section of shelves be put up in the room set aside for these records. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman discussed other Indian archives that could be secured and moved that a sum not to exceed $50.00 from the extra help funds (Acct. No. 12) be made available to pay the salary and expense of Martha Buntin to assemble these records and have them shipped to the Historical building. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman reported on the work that has been done at Fort Gibson with the help of Mr. F. A. Todd.

Page 240

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Society extend a vote of thanks to Dr. Grant Foreman and Mr. F. A. Todd for their work in rehabilitating the old barracks building and their success in collecting money to carry on this work, and that they be furnished a copy of this resolution. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman gave a report on his trip to Fayetteville, Arkansas; February 5-9, 1935, to make a survey of the historical material in the Washington County Court House, and the Arkansas State University at Fort Smith relative to the Ridges and Stand Watie, and other matters of historical interest; and presented a copy of this survey to the Historical Society.

Dr. Grant Foreman told of his recent visit to the U. S. Battleship Oklahoma, and moved that a set of Chronicles of Oklahoma be presented to the officers of the U. S. Battleship Oklahoma for its library, to be the property of the Battleship Oklahoma. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman read the following resolution in regard to indexing the newspapers and moved its adoption:

WHEREAS, the Federal Government has made available funds for employing persons in indexing newspapers, making extracts from historical documents and engaging in other work relating to the field of libraries and historical societies.

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, By the Board of Directors of the OKLAHOMA HISTORICAL SOCIETY, that it is the sense of this board that application should be made to the proper officials for the allotment of funds of that character for the employment of such service in connection with the indexing of the newspapers of this Society, the copying in whole or in part of historical manuscripts in this state, and for such other work as may properly come within the purview of the allotments available from the Government. Motion was seconded and carried.

Dr. Grant Foreman presented to the Society some pictures the gift of Samuel Worcester Robertson, brother of Hon. Alice M. Robertson.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that they be accepted and that the secretary convey the thanks of the Historical Society to Mr. Robertson for this donation. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. John R. Williams moved that the minutes be corrected to show that Mrs. Kate McClendon was elected a life member of the Society at the last meeting of the Board of Directors, and that a vote of thanks be tendered to her for her valuable contribution to the museum. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. John R. Williams moved that all members of the Board of Directors donate their portraits to be hung in the building, and that the secretary be directed to write to each living member and the families of deceased members, and solicit said portraits. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. John R. Williams reported on the request of the Board for the portrait of Gov. E. W. Marland, stating that just at present the Governor had none available.

Mrs. Blanche Lucas tendered to the Society a portrait of Gov. E. W. Marland, which tender was accepted.

Mrs. Virgil Browne, state historian of the Daughters of the American Revolution was introduced and presented the request of the D. A. R. to

Page 241

install a bookcase in the library with their state genealogical records to be kept therein.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that space be set aside in the library for this case with the records of the D. A. R., but with the understanding that the Society would not be liable for any loss. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. Frank Korn reported on the furnishing of the room set apart for the women's patriotic and club organizations.

Mrs. Fred Neff, State Regent of the D. A. R., requested the use of the room set apart for the women's organizations for the meetings of the D. A. R.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the D. A. R. be permitted to hold their meetings in the room set apart for women's organizations. Motion was seconded and carried.

Mrs. Virgil Browne requested the Board to supply the D. A. R. Headquarters at Washington, D. C. with material on Oklahoma.

Judge R. L. Williams moved that the D. A. R. Headquarters at Washington, D. C. be put on the mailing list to receive copies of Chronicles of Oklahoma as they are issued. Motion was seconded and carried.

The Secretary presented the following list of applicants for annual membership in the Oklahoma Historical Society:

W. B. Armour, Okmulgee; R. E. Baker, Tulsa; Guy B. Blakey, Okmulgee; Donald Bond, Chickasha; R. H. Brett, Ardmore; Mrs. Ralph S. Brown, New York City, N. Y.; J. P. Byrd, Jr., Tulsa; Wallace Campbell, Oklahoma City; Mrs. J. B. Culwell, McLoud; Wavel Davis, Tulsa; Thomas J. Dee, Oklahoma City; Fred Downs, Tulsa; J. Perry Eads, Okmulgee; Mrs. Jennie M. Elrod, Okmulgee; Mrs. F. A. Englehart, Oklahoma City; Dr. H. B. Fuston, Bokchito; Ervin D. Gibson, Chicago, Illinois; Mrs. J. J. Glaser, Alva; Judge N. B. Johnson, Claremore; Ray S. Kayler, Alliance, Ohio; C. S. Maupin, Oklahoma City; Thomas H. Mitchell, Morris; Earl Nesom, Okmulgee; Alvia G. Nichols, Okmulgee; Judge A. S. Norvell, Wewoka; L. G. Owen, Tulsa; Paul P. Pinkerton, Sand Springs; Mrs. Joseph I. Pitchford, Okmulgee; Dr. W. B. Putman, Carnegie; Charles L. Roff, Durant; John T. Stewart, Wellington, Kansas; Mrs. F. E. Stickle, Tulsa; Fred J. Stubbs, Oklahoma City; Mrs. L. E. Tomm, Muskogee; Dr. Virgil M. Wallace, Morris; Elmo Scott Watson, Chicago, Illinois; Clarence R. Wharton, Houston, Texas; Mrs. Sallie C. Wheeler, Oklahoma City; J. Bruce Wiley, Norman; Allan Wilson, Fayetteville, Arkansas; T. H. B. Williams, Oklahoma City.

Upon motion, duly seconded, they were received into membership of the Society.

Judge Thomas A. Edwards moved that the Board of Directors go into executive session to determine the matter of employees of the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.

JUDGE THOMAS H. DOYLE, President,
Presiding.

DAN W. PEERY, Secretary.

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site