The first regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society for the year 1935 met in the Historical building, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, January 24, 1935, at 10:00 A. M., with Judge Thomas H. Doyle, vice president, presiding.
Roll call showed the following members present: Judge R. L. Williams, Mrs. Blanche Lucas, Dr. Grant Foreman, Gen. William S. Key, Judge Harry Campbell, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Mr. Jasper Sipes, Mrs. Frank Korn, Dr. Joseph B. Thoburn, Gen. R. A. Sneed, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Col. A. N. Leecraft, and Mr. John B. Meserve.
Dr. Grant Foreman moved that a committee be appointed to draft resolutions on the death of Col. Charles F. Colcord, late president of the Society. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
Dr. Grant Foreman read his report on the removal of Indian records from the various Indian agencies and offices in the State of Oklahoma to the Historical building, which was ordered received and filed.
Judge R. L. Williams introduced Mr. H. O. Boggs, State Representative from Latimer County, who is also a member of the Appropriation Committee of the State Legislature, and who was invited to remain for the meeting.
Dr. Grant Foreman read his report on Fort Gibson, setting forth the work done on the old barracks building and also reported the acquisition of two additional lots in Fort Gibson on which stood the ammunition house and old oven, and recommended that life membership be conferred on Mr. John G. Catlett and Mrs. J. Garfield Buell on account of donations to acquire the site on which the old barracks building stands, and that life membership be conferred on Dr. C. P. Wickmiller for his numerous contributions to the Museum.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the rules be suspended and that Mr. John G. Catlett, Mrs. J. Garfield Buell and Dr. G. P. Wickmiller accordingly be elected life members of the Oklahoma Historical Society, and that a vote of thanks be extended to Dr. Grant Foreman and Mr. F. Alex Todd for their work. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
Judge R. L. Williams presented to the Society for its archives the following items:
Poster dated September 25, 1897, in which Henry M. Cooper, U. S. Marshal, Eastern District of Arkansas, Little Rock, offered reward of $450.00 for the arrest and conviction of Harve Bruce and Turner Skidmore charged with killing Deputy Marshals B. F. Taylor and J. M. Dodson.
Poster dated September 13, 1897, in which G. W. Wilson, Acting Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Treasury Department, Washington, D. C., offered reward of $150.00 for the arrest and delivery to U. S.
Marshal, Eastern District of Arkansas of illicit distillers charged with the murder of Deputy U. S. Marshals B. F. Taylor and Joe M. Dodson.
Original letter with three photostat copies, dated October 8, 1861, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, advising that the Cherokee people had passed resolutions authorizing a Treaty of Alliance with the Confederate States.
Letter dated September 19, 1867, signed by J. W. Drum, U. S. Indian Agent, for Creeks, Creek Agency, I. T., to Spo-ko-kee Yahola, Chief of the Tukabatchee Creeks requesting the privilege of assembling his people.
Document signed by March Thompson, Judge Eufaula District, M. N., to Choelee Harjo, order to serve as appraiser of the estate of Semok-cho, deceased. Dated January 8, 1895.
Document signed by March Thompson, Judge Eufaula District, M. N., to Choelee Harjo, to serve as appraiser of estate of Jefferson Stidham, deceased. Dated July 3, 1885.
Letter signed by B. F. Standley, citizen of Choctaw Nation, to District Judge Eufaula District, Creek Nation, protesting against W. J. Pevehouse, a non-citizen of Indian Territory residing in the Creek Nation unless he paid his rent in the Choctaw Nation, where he had previously lived. Dated February 8, 1887.
Document signed by G. W. Stidham, Jr., G. W. Stidham. Sr., and L. G. Stidham, Eufaula, I. T. recommending certain non-citizens as fit to remain in the Creek Nation. Dated April 2, 1887.
Document signed by J. M. Perryman, Principal Chief, Muskogee Nation, Okmulgee, commissioning Jake Matoy as prosecuting attorney of Eufaula District, Creek Nation, I. T. Dated December 3, 1887.
Letter signed by Jno. R. Moore, Treasurer, Creek Nation, Okmulgee, I. T., licensing Judge C. S. Smith to furnish ties to railroad company. Dated April 24, 1888.
Document signed by Judge Chowe Colbert, Eufaula District, license permitting J. C. Matoy to practice law in Eufaula District. dated December 18, 1889.
Letter written and signed by L. Q. C. Lamar, Oxford, Miss., to Thomas I. Hudson, Lamar, Miss., with two photostat copies. Dated September 18, 1860.
Document signed by Michael Reinhardt, County of Marshall, State of Mississippi, deed giving five Negroes to his daughter Eliza Ann Hudson and her husband. Also two photostat copies of same. Dated October 2, 1847.
Letter written and signed by Jefferson Davis, Washington, to Hon. Thomas I. Hudson, advising that he did not feel suited for the office of vice president of the United States, but suggested other offices that he would accept. Two photostat copies of same. Dated November 25, 1850.
Document signed by S. A. Bigbey, Associate Justice Supreme Court, Cherokee Nation, license permitting Daniel Gritts to practice law before the District, Circuit and Supreme Courts of Cherokee Nation. Three photostat copies of same. Dated August 6, 1883.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that we accept the donation and that the thanks of the Society be tendered to the donors. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Harry Campbell introduced Mr. James H. Gardner of Tulsa.
A recent addition to the Museum, that of a copy of the George Inness painting, Autumn Oaks, reproduced and given by Mrs. A. E. Davenport (Julia Chisholm Davenport) was reported.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that Mrs. A. E. Davenport be given a life membership in the Society in appreciation of her gift. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
The Chair announced the following members of the Legislative Committee, which was provided for in the meeting held July 26, 1934: Judge R. L. Williams, Chairman; Judge Thomas A. Edwards and Gen. Charles F. Barrett.
Mrs. John R. Williams moved that a portrait of the present Governor of the State of Oklahoma be procured and hung in a place designated by the committee in charge, to remain there during his term of office, then to be removed to the gallery reserved for these noted persons. Motion was seconded and carried.
The following visitors from Okmulgee were introduced: Mr. E. W. Cowden, president of the chamber of commerce, Mr. John White, secretary of the chamber of commerce and Mr. Orlando Swain, secretary of the Creek Indian Memorial Association.
Mr. John White discussed the annual meting of the Oklahoma Historical Society that is to be held in Okmulgee and asked that the date of the meeting be fixed.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the annual meeting of the Oklahoma Historical Society be held in Okmulgee May 10th and 11th, 1935. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that a committee of three consisting of Judge Harry Campbell and Judge John B. Meserve of Tulsa and Dr. Grant Foreman of Muskogee be added to the standing committee on annual meeting programs, to co-operate with the citizens of Okmulgee to arrange for this coming meeting. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. James H. Gardner was asked to explain the situation concerning prehistoric mounds in eastern Oklahoma, which he did very fully, stressing the necessity of securing title to the property on which these mounds are located, if they are to be preserved for the benefit of future historical knowledge.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the Society provide a fund of $300.00 out of the private funds of the Society to supplement other funds to be provided by other state agencies to acquire title to all or a part of the land on which these mounds are located, to be made into a state park; and also that an effort be made to supplement the amount by private donations. Motion was seconded and carried.
Gen. R. A. Sneed reported the progress made on marking the grave of Nathaniel Pryor.
Gen. William S. Key moved that the committee be continued, and that proper steps be taken to acquire title to the tract on which this grave, with others, is located. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore reported on the removal of the old capitol of the Chickasaws to the grounds of the Murray State School of Agriculture She reported that she had secured the co-operation of Mr. Clive Murray, president of the Murray State School of Agriculture and the county sheriff, Mr. Fred Hunt, and that it was decided to locate the building on the old capital grounds, on which now stands the county court house, and that the work of moving and restoring the building is now in progress.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that Mrs. Jessie E. Moore, Mr. Clive Murray, Mr. Fred Hunt, the mortgage company which released the old building so it could be moved, and the agent of the mortgage company at Durant be given a vote of thanks, and that Mrs. Moore be permitted to expend a sum out of the private funds of the Society, not to exceed $60.00, for expenses incurred in moving and restoring this building. Motion was seconded and carried.
The matter of electing a successor to the president deceased, Col. Charles F. Colcord, was taken up.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that Judge Thomas H. Doyle be elected president of the Oklahoma Historical Society, and having received a second put the motion which was unanimously carried, and Thomas H. Doyle was declared elected president of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that Samuel W. Hayes be elected to fill the vacancy on the board of directors occasioned by the death of Charles F. Colcord, and that the rules be suspended and the secretary be instructed to cast the ballot of all members present to elect Samuel W. Hayes to fill the vacancy in the board of directors occasioned by the death of Col. Charles F. Colcord. Motion was seconded and carried.
The question of absentee members of the board of directors from meetings of the board was discussed.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that the secretary look up the records and see how many members missed the last three consecutive meetings without an explanation, and that they be advised that their membership automatically terminates and quote Sec. 4 B of Art. V. of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Oklahoma Historical Society as amended March 31, 1932. Motion was seconded.
Judge R. L. Williams moved to amend by adding that all members of the board of directors who have missed three consecutive meetings without explanation of absence stand with such membership on the board as terminated, but be notified of such action conditioned that they may appear at the next meeting of the board to show cause why such action of this board should not become final with the adjournment of said meeting of the board. The amendment was accepted and the motion as amended was carried.
Mrs. Roberta Lawson's secretary reported that Mrs. Lawson was out of the State and would not return in time for this meeting, and upon motion of Col. A. N. Leecraft her absence was excused.
Dr. E. E. Dale reported that he would be unable to attend on account of enrolling students in the State University, and upon motion of Col. A. N. Leecraft his absence was excused.
Judge William P. Thompson reported that he would be compelled to attend court on the day of the meeting, and upon motion his absence was excused.
Judge Baxter Taylor moved that the board of directors extend their sympathy to Mrs. Blanche Lucas on the death of her husband, Frank B. Lucas, one of the pioneers of the State, and upon being seconded the motion was carried.
Judge R. L. Williams moved that the board of directors extend their sympathy to Mrs. John R. Williams on the death of her mother, Mrs. M. J. DeLesdernier, also one of the pioneers of the State. Motion was seconded and carried.
The following list of applicants for annual membership in the Historical Society was presented:
Leda Anderson, Oklahoma City; Russell O. Berry, Oklahoma City; R. L. Biggart, Cordell; J. D. Brown, Follett, Texas; W. Max Chambers, Okmulgee; E. W. Cowden, Okmulgee; Mavis Conwill, Chickasha; E. Dunlap, Ardmore; Don V. Eells, Okmulgee; R. H. Emans, Sayre; James B. Evans, Jr., Waco, Texas; Frank Fisk, Oklahoma City; Charles E. Forbes, Stillwater; Mrs. George E. Gillian, Oklahoma City; Dorsey W. Grier, Okmulgee; Wyatt Hagen, Shattuck; Ben Hatcher, Ada; Mrs. George A. Henshaw, Oklahoma City; George Hunt, Mountain View; L. M. Keys, Long Beach, Calif,; Arthur R. Lawrence, Lawton; Charles D. Lutz, Oklahoma City; Sol H. Mackey, Shawnee; John A. MacDonald, Durant; Mrs. Harold D. McEwen, Oklahoma City; Dr. V. E. Martin, Carnegie; Herbert F. Miller, Tulsa; Mrs. Mary Fritts Mosshart, Driftwood; Judge Roy Paul, Durant; R. L. Peebly, Oklahoma City; S. R. Pinkston, Wellington, Texas; Mrs. Eva Rawlins, Enid; J. W. Ross, Tulsa; Todd Sanders, Lawton; Frank Shipley, Oklahoma City; Albert M. Staas, Freeport, Ill.; William Kent Suthers, Arnett; A. I. Thompson, Oklahoma City; C. R. Thornton, Cordell; John M. White, Okmulgee; Wallace Wilkinson, McAlester; and A. D. Young, Edmond.
Judge, R. L. Williams moved that they be elected annual members of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Motion was seconded and unanimously carried.
Mr. Earl Boyd Pierce, secretary of the sponsoring committee of Muskogee, appeared before the board and read the title to a bill that had been introduced in the legislature, in regard to securing funds for the reconstruction of the old stockade at Fort Gibson, under the title of the Fort Gibson Stockade Commission, which upon motion of Dr. Emma Estill-Harbour was endorsed and the Board extended a vote of thanks to Mr. Pierce for his work in endeavoring to preserve the old stockade at Fort Gibson.
The following committee was appointed to draft a memorial resolution for Col. Charles F. Colcord president deceased of the Oklahoma Historical Society: Dr. J. B. Thoburn, chairman, Judge R. L. Williams and Mr. Jasper Sipes.
The following committee was appointed to confer with Governor Marland in regard to saving the prehistoric mounds in the eastern part of the State and securing title to the property for a state park: Dr. Grant Foreman, Chairman; Judge Harry Campbell, James H. Gardner, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, and Dr. J. B. Thoburn.
Col. A. N. Leecraft moved that the Board of Directors give Mr. O. H. Boggs, member of the House of Representatives and also a member of the Appropriation Committee, a vote of thanks for his interest in the Historical Society and attendance at this meeting. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mrs. Jessie E. Moore moved that the Indian Research Department be re-instated and that the Appropriation Committee be requested to provide funds for the salary. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle expressed his sincere appreciation of the honor of being elected president of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Upon motion of Mrs. Frank Korn the meeting stood adjourned.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle, President,
M. A. Mulholland, Chief Clerk.