Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 10, No. 4
JOHN E. (JACK) LOVE, JR.
Born in San Augustine, Texas, June 9, 1857, died June 1, 1918, at Mineral Wells, Texas, where he had gone seeking benefit
of curative and restorative waters of that resort. He was a son of John E. Love, Sr., and Susan Y. (Wood) Love. John G. Love,
his grandfather, came from Tennessee and settled in east Texas when it was a part of Mexico. His maternal great-grandfather
and great-grandmother were Julius Horton and Susan (Purnell) Horton. Thomas Love, who was a compeer of John Sevier in Tennessee,
was of this same family. The conflict between Thomas Love and John Sevier (Nollichucky Jack) is fascinatingly related in Winston
Churchill's novel "The Crossing," one scene of which is taken from Haywood's History of Tennessee. His father John E. Love,
Sr., was killed in 1860 at Blount's corner on Columbia St. San Augustine, Tex., in a conflict with Alex Chumley, who was also
killed at the same time. John G. Love, soon after he came to Texas, acquired a tract of Land from Edmund Quirk, the deed being
in Spanish, and now among the archives of San Augustine County, locating upon said tract about the time of its purchase. He
was an Alcalde at San, Augustine under the Mexican Government and a Primary Judge of that jurisdiction. John E. (Jack) Love,
Jr., had one brother, Reuben D. Love, who was a physician, and three sisters, Sophia Love, Laura Houston Love and Meddie Sonobia
Love. After the death of his father his mother with her children removed to Chireno, Nacagdoches County, Texas. The town of
Loving, Texas, is named for members of his family. His grandmother was a sister of the late Col. Alexander Horton, who was
first aide to Gen. Sam Houston. His mother was married a second time to a man named Harris, who had by him one son whose name
was J. M. Harris. He became a physician, residing at Beaumont and San Antonio, Texas. The Love's on the father's side were
Irish and on the Mother's English. His grandfather John G. Love married Anne Terrell. On his mother's side her father was
Reuben D. Wood who married Susan Horton, their daughter Susan y. Wood married John E. Love, Sr. Both of said grandparents
came from Tennessee to Texas at an early day, settling near San Augustine which at that time was a province of Mexico, each
playing an important part in carving the Republic of Texas out of the Mexican Territory. The grandfather on the Love side
held many important posts, being a prominent alcalde under the Mexican reign, and serving under Gen. Sam Houston in the Revolution
of Texas. Terrell, Texas, is named for one of his ancestors.
On account of the Civil War and conditions prevailing for ten years thereafter John E. (Jack) Love, Jr., in his early youth
had no educational advantages, reaching the age of eighteen years before he learned to write. At the age of twenty-seven years
having attended the Sam Houston Normal School, at Huntsville, Texas, and there being awarded a teacher's certificate permitting
him to teach a third grade school, he settled at Lankford's cove in Hamilton County, Texas, engaging in school teaching during
the periods that schools were in session, being above five months each year, and during the fall season operating a cotton
gin. He was thus engaged when Oklahoma Territory was
opened for settlement in the spring of 1889, at which time he made the run and located on a claim then near Oklahoma City,
on which Northwest Park is now located. He afterwards took up his residence in Oklahoma City, becoming a member of its provisional
council and participating in its early day activities.*
When the Cherokee Strip was opened in September 1893 he was appointed by Governor Renfrow as Sheriff of Woodward County. At
the expiration of his term of office he had engaged in the cattle business and so continued until 1907, when he was nominated
by the Democratic party and elected by the people of the New State of Oklahoma as a member of the Corporation Commission.
At its organization in November, 1907, he was elected as its chairman. He was re-elected in 1912 as a member of said Commission
and continued as its chairman until his death on June 1, 1918. He held the office of Sheriff of Woodward County, from September
1893 to January 1, 1895, not seeking to succeed himself as sheriff, but accepting the Democratic nomination for the lower
house of the Legislature of Oklahoma Territory at the November election in 1894, but was defeated by three votes. He made
no personal canvass. His friends placing his name on the ballot as a nominee, and being out on his ranch during election day
with his hands, no effort was made to get the hands on the ranch out to vote. Had he done so he would have been elected. He
was a progressive cattleman and citizen. He discovered the merits of kaffir corn and its especial adaptation for winter feed
for cattle in which was then thought to be an arid country, he being one of the first cattle men to raise feed in that western
country in large quantities to carry the cattle through the winter season. In 1898 when the Oklahoma Territorial government
sought to make western Oklahoma a large cattle ranch or range by granting a lease to Dan Waggoner this was successfully resisted
by Jack Love and other small cattlemen in that section from Texas and Kansas. At that time Waggoner, Burnett and the Suggs
controlled the Kiowa, Caddo and Comanche reservations. In this controversy against the large cattle men the small ranchmen
from Texas and Kansas acted in harmony.
After he had qualified as a member of the Corporation Commission his course in that position harmonized with his prior life.
He sympathizing with the weak, sought to protect the people as shippers and patrons of railroads and in all matters over which
the Commission had jurisdiction. At his death he possessed the unbounded confidence of the masses of the state who believed
him to be a brave, fearless and faithful public servant.
Funeral ceremonies were held at ten o'clock A. M. June 5, 1918, in the Hall of the House of Representatives in the State Capitol,
the body being in an elegant casket covered with beautiful flowers from his friends. The Rev. Frank Naylor read appropriate
selections from the Bible and offered a prayer. The hymn "Beulah Land" was sung by a double quartette. The Hon. R. L. Williams,
Governor of the State of Oklahoma, delivered an address. E. F. McKay read a memorial sketch of his life. The quartette sang
another appropriate hymn. His associates, Commissioners W. D. Humphrey and Campbell Russell also delivered addresses. The
Hon. S. P. Freeling, Attorney General of the State, then delivered an address. The ceremonies were closed by the quartette
singing that beautiful hymn "God will take care of you", after which his body was taken to its final resting place in the
beautiful cemetery adjacent to Oklahoma City, known as Fairlawn Cemetery, to sleep that sleep that can only be broken by the
resurrection. At the cemetery the Rev. Frank Naylor offered a prayer and gave the benediction. From the time of Col. Love's
death of his burial all arrangements were in charge of the Governor, in accordance with his wishes expressed prior to his
death. The corporation Commissioners and the employees, each and all had a part
therein and all were well and kindly performed. (See Woodward Democrat, June 7, 1918).
He was the embodiment of the pioneer spirit of the Southwest, linked in spirit and by inheritance with the brave men that
overthrew Mexican rule and established the sway of the American in its stead. A brave, picturesque, honest and faithful citizen
and public servant passed from this earthly habitation when he died.
—R. L. WILLIAMS.
HUBERT E. COLLINS
Nearly ten years ago, Hon. George L. Bowman, of Kingfisher, received a letter from Mr. Hubert E. Collins, of Utica, New York,
making certain inquiries concerning several historic spots on the Chisholm Trail, notably the site of Red Fork Ranch, where
the village of Dover is now located, and that of the old Darlington Indian Agency. It seemed that in his early youth, Mr.
Collins had spent more than a year at Red Fork Ranch, of which an elder brother had been one of the owners at the time, now
nearly half a century ago. This letter was referred to the undersigned by Mr. Bowman and was duly answered, and thus was begun
a correspondence which was continued as long as one of the parties to it lived. He started to write a magazine story about
life at the old Red Fork Ranch and road store, as it was back in the early 'eighties. A copy of this first draft was sent
to the writer, who made a number of constructive criticisms and suggestions, whereupon it was promptly rewritten and doubled
in length and in detail. Again it was gone over, with further helpful suggestions and again it was rewritten and still further
enlarged. Mr. Collins who had long been recognized as a prolific writer in his own profession, finally decided that his Red
Fork Ranch and Chisholm Trail story should be expanded into a volume of the size in which other works of similar character
were put out by progressive publishers. Accordingly, he sought the aid of one of the best known writers of western lore and,
after, securing his advice, he wrote his story over and over again until he felt that he had done justice to his theme, when
it was published under the title of "Warpath and Cattle Trail", in 1929. In so doing, he made a valuable contribution to our
knowledge of life as it was along the great cattle trail in central Oklahoma in the years 1883 and 1884. He joined the Oklahoma
Historical Society as a life member soon after the beginning of his correspondence with it and always took a deep interest
in its progress and achievements. He was anxious that the story of old Darlington Indian Agency should also be made a matter
of record and this he had planned to do through the medium of a series of articles in the Society's quarterly magazine, the
first one of which appeared in the September issue and the second is printed in this issue. He had been collecting material
for the past five years and his work in this line promised to throw much new light upon that phase of local history. For several
years past, he had been trying to plan a visit to Oklahoma, but continuous ill health prevented. Then, suddenly and without
warning, the end of his earthly life came on October 31st and thus the Oklahoma Historical Society has lost a devoted and
Hubert E. Collins was born at Boonesboro, Iowa, March 27, 1872, a son of Rev. Mahlon and Keturah Ann (Williams) Collins. He
was educated in the schools of that state and, at the age of eighteen, he became a machinist apprentice of the Lake Erie Engineering
Works, at Buffalo, N. Y. Within two years he had been promoted to the position of erecting engineer for that company. As his
talents became recognized, he stepped into still better positions, successively, in Brooklyn and New York City. By the time
he had reached the age of thirty, he had become a consulting
and advisory engineer for hotels and apartment houses and manufacturing plants, in the great metropolis, on power, heating,
ventilating, humidification and illumination problems, serving 125 clients in the United States and abroad. In later years,
he gave especial attention to hydraulic power and building codes. He filled the position of instructor of power plant design
in Columbia University for several years prior to 1912. He located at Utica, in 1914. During the World War, he made a coal
survey of Oneida and Herkimer counties for the Federal Government and was consultant on power problems for the Wright-Martin
Aircraft Corporation, of New Brunswick, N. J., makers of the Hispano-Suiza airplane engines.
Mr. Collins was the author of numerous books and pamphlets pertaining to the mechanical engineering profession and was a more
or less frequent contributor to no less than fifteen technical, professional and scientific periodicals and magazines, during
the past twenty years. In addition to his book, "Warpath and Cattle Trail," he was the author of "A lad in an Iowa Village,
Forty Years Ago," which was published serially, in 1923, "The Story of M. D. Collins" which was published by the Iowa Historical
Society. Many professional honors had been bestowed upon him. He was past secretary of the Institute of Operating Engineers
of New York; past secretary and president of the New York State Association of Power Engineers; member of the coal survey
committee of the Federated Engineering Council, of Washington, D. C., and of several other professional associations. Besides
being a life member of the Oklahoma Historical Society, he was a life member of the Colorado Historical Society, a corresponding
member of the Iowa Historical Society, a member of the Old Time Trail Drivers, of Texas, and an honorary member of the Societe
Academique d'Historie Internationale, of Paris, France. Besides his social and fraternal relations, he was an active member
of the M. E. Church.
Mr. Collins was married, June 30, 1897, to Miss Ethelyn Ella Cropsey, who survives him. He is also survived by two brothers
and two sisters.
—JOSEPH B. THOBURN.
WILLIAM A. CLUTE
William A. Clute was born in the State of New York, in 1860, and passed away at the home of his brother, Sidney Clute in El
Reno, Oklahoma, April 10, 1932. The immediate cause of his death was the failure of the heart to function. He had been in
ill health for several years as the result of heart weakness.
"Will" Clute came to Oklahoma from Nebraska with his mother and two brothers, Frank and Sidney, at the opening of Oklahoma
in 1889. He located in El Reno in the summer of that year. This was when the town was established after Reno City, two miles
north, was missed by the Rock Island survey and station located at El Reno. He was an active promoter of the new town and
was a member of the council when the town was first organized. In January 1891, William A. Clute and E. L. Gay of No Man's
Land, who was the chief clerk of the First Territorial legislature, started a newspaper which they named The Oklahoma Democrat. These two gentlemen, both experienced newspaper men, edited and published this paper until July 1892, when they sold the
plant subscription list and good-will of The Oklahoma Democrat to Travis F. Hensley, who had only a short time before arrived in El Reno from Washington, D. C., where he had been in the
government service for several years. Mr. Hensley changed the name of the paper from Oklahoma Democrat to the El Reno Democrat.
Mr. Clute soon again engaged in the paper business starting a paper at the new town of Arapaho, the county seat of "G" county
Cheyenne and Arapaho country that had been opened to settlement only the year before. He was associated in the publication
of this paper, the Arapaho Argus with Joe Bierwater, a practical printer from Carthage, Missouri. The first issue of the Argus was dated January 20, 1893. After the change of administration which cost them the public printing, the paper suspended publication
T. F. Hensley had started a paper at Enid in "O" county soon after the opening of the Cherokee Strip which he named West Side Democrat. Mr. Clute purchased this paper in February 1894 but published it only a short time when it was merged with another paper.
Mr. Clute returned to El Reno and with the writer, Dan W. Peery as partner, purchased the El Reno Globe, a paper that had been started the year before by Lafe Merritt and Ernest Parks. Peery and Clute edited and published the
Globe for five years when Mr. Clute sold his interests in the paper and accepted an offer as traveling salesman. His work took
him into old Mexico where he spent about two years representing the business of his firm. While in Mexico he became conversant
with the Spanish language and while not an advocate of the Mexicans, yet he was tolerant of their views and an admirer of
the way in which the well-to-do people of Mexico lived and enjoyed life.
In after years Mr. Clute was a salesman, represented flour mills over southwestern Oklahoma. He had always claimed El Reno
as his home and retained his property interests in that city until his passing.
Only a few weeks before his death he presented to the Oklahoma Historical Society, the files of the Oklahoma Democrat, the predecessor of the El Reno Democrat, and also the file of the Arapaho Argus, which paper contained some very valuable data concerning the organization and settlement of "G" county, now Custer.
Mr. Clute was a man of high ideals and a more honest and honorable man would be hard to find. He was broad minded and progressive,
calm and dignified in his demeanor but not aggressive. He was never exultant even when he had reason to rejoice. I doubt if
Will Clute ever fully realized his own capabilities.
JOHN PATRICK McNAUGHTON
John Patrick McNaughton was born in Tennessee, June 13, 1853, and died at the home of his son, Ray McNaughton, in Miami, Ottawa
County, Oklahoma, November 13, 1932.
Mr. McNaughton was one of the best known business men and industrial leaders in northeastern Oklahoma. He is said to have
been the first man to mine zinc in the zinc and lead mining regions of that section of the State. He has been long given the
credit of opening up and developing the Ottawa county mining field. He came there fifty-five years ago on a tip from an Indian
and began prospecting in the old Spanish mines near Peoria.
The Miami Daily News-Record on November 14th, has this to say in a four column article concerning the life and business career of J. P. McNaughton.
"Engrossed with the possibility of a big mineral development in the Peoria area, Mr. McNaughton settled and became closely
identified with every major development from 1877 until the last few years, taking a leading part in educational advancement,
securing of postoffices at Miami and at Max, the old McNaughton homestead northeast of Miami, developing the Lincolnville
mineral district, aiding to build the old Friends
church in 1895, helping frame the first state government of Oklahoma and making numerous trips to Washington as the representative
of Indians in the Quapaw Indian agency.
"In 1881, Mr. McNaughton married Clara E. Peery, a daughter of David L. Peery, a Kansas stockman, and Ella Peery. Mrs. McNaughton
survives him, along with three dis tinguished sons, Ray McNaughton of the Ottawa county bar, Dr. G. P. McNaughton in the medical
profession and Willis McNaughton, a leading farmer of the county.
"The Rev. J. C. Linton, former Presbyterian minister here and like Mr. McNaughton, a Scotchman by descent, presided at the
funeral service. Burial was in Peery cemetery northeast of here at the old McNaughton homestead, the same place where other
members of the McNaughton family are buried. The plot is marked by thirty acres of trees planted in rows by the elder McNaughton
forty-five years ago, a grove which has become a lasting landmark in this section."
The lengthy sketch of the life of Mr. McNaughton is in reality a history of the mining industry of that section of the State,
yet tells an inspiring story of the life of this rugged pioneer. He was one of the moving spirits in building the progressive
city of Miami. This newspaper states that he was instrumental in obtaining the post office when it was but a village.
ED. P. KELLEY
Ed. P. Kelley was born November 19, 1860, at Jerseyville, Illinois, and his mortal life came to an ending at Halstead, Kansas,
Friday, October 21, 1932. He had been an invalid for several weeks and was taking treatment in the hospital at Halstead. Funeral
services were held at El Reno, Oklahoma, Sunday, October 23, 1932. His remains were laid to rest in the El Reno cemetery.
Services were conducted by Reverend Edward M. Clark of Norman, Oklahoma, who had formerly been pastor of the Presbyterian
church at El Reno. A large concourse of citizens and sorrowing friends attended these last rites, including many of the early
settlers of our State's history; several prominent officials of the Rock Island Railroad from Chicago and Kansas City also
came to pay their last tribute of respect to their friend and former co-worker.
While he was yet a small boy his parents moved to Kansas and located on a farm near Newton where he grew to manhood and received
his education. While a resident of Kansas he married Miss Casha Blackburn of Newton. Mrs. Kelley preceded him in death several
years. He is survived by two daughters: Mrs. Glen Bonebrake and Mrs. Philip Herod, both residents of El Reno; and one sister
and a brother: Mrs. A. Forney of Portland, Oregon, and James Kelley of Newton, Kansas.
Ed. Kelley had been identified with the history of Oklahoma since they opening in 1889. He first located at Guthrie and was
a resident there for several years. He was the first city marshal under organized government and was also deputy United States
marshal. When Judge Pancoast was appointed judge of the United States court, he selected Ed. Kelley as clerk of the court.
He held this office until statehood.
In 1909 he became associated with the Rock Island Railroad as special agent and moved to El Reno where he has since resided.
He was soon promoted to assistant to the General Manager of the road, a position he held until his death. The duties of this
position brought him in contact with not only officials of the State and members of the Legislature, but with the general
public. In this position he made many friends not only for himself but for the interests which he represented.
Among men of prominence with whom Ed Kelley became acquainted at Guthrie in the early days were: Fred Bonfils, now editor
and publisher of the Denver Post, and Volney Hoggatt who is also connected with the publication of that newspaper. I know of no higher tribute and nothing
more appropriate can be said than the following taken from the Denver Post.
"Ed. Kelley was one of the real big men of Oklahoma.
His activities showed unusual common sense and good judgment. He was honest, truthful and courageous, and when occasion warranted
he was as kind and gentle and sympathetic as a woman.
"He was a loyal and thoughtful friend and his courage was superb. In a way he had the characteristics of a David Harum.
"When Oklahoma was in the making and outlaws were a terror, all of them feared Ed. Kelley. He was an ideal husband and father,
a vigorous and unafraid citizen and official and just in all his dealings with his fellowman.
"In his passing, Oklahoma has lost an upright, virile type of manhood that was invaluable to the state."
DeRoos Bailey, born in Carroll County, Arkansas, on the 27th day of May, 1857, was the son of William Wilson Bailey, and Harriett
(Wasson) Bailey. William Wilson Bailey born May 4th, 1827, on the Hiawasa River, in Pike County, Tennessee, moved to what
is now Boone County, Arkansas in 1852, where he married Harriet Wasson, also a native of Tennessee, and settled in Crooked
Creek Valley, near what is now the town of Harrison, Arkansas. He served as a first Lieutenant, Sixteenth Arkansas Infantry,
Confederate Army, under Generals McCullough and Price, participating in battles at Wilson Creek, Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge,
(Elk Horn Tavern). He was a delegate from Boone County to Arkansas Constitutional Convention of 1874, and served as Sheriff
of Boone County two terms, and died in 1906.
DeRoos Bailey, was grandson of John Bailey, born in Buncombe County, North Carolina in 1794, and Bershaba (Cunningham) Bailey,
who were married in Monroe County, Tennessee, in 1823.
He was great-grandson of William Bailey, who was born in Virginia in 1764, and who served in the Patriot Army during the latter
part of the Revolutionary War.
He was great-great-grandson of William Bailey, who came from England and settled in Virginia where he was married, and who
died on a, return trip to England, never being again heard from by his family.
The early education of DeRoos Bailey was obtained in the public schools of his native Arkansas County and at Belle Fonte Academy.
Entirely self-educated in the law, pursuing his studies at night and during odd moments, while laboring under the stress of
self-supporting employments, he passed a creditable examination for admission to the bar, at the age of twenty-five. After
his admission to the bar in 1882 he commenced the practice of the law at Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas, making a favorable
reputation as a, lawyer. He was elected as a Democrat for two terms as District Attorney,—later moving to Yellville, Marion
County, Arkansas, where he practiced his profession for five years, then returned to Harrison,—thereafter he removed to Little
Rock, engaging in the practice of the law, and in 1897 removed to Muskogee, Indian Territory, where he formed a partnership
Marcum and Thos. H. Owen, under the firm name of Marcum, Bailey & Owen. In 1900 he again returned to Harrison, Arkansas, returning
to Muskogee in 1902, there engaging in the practice of the law under firm name of Bailey & Owen, the junior member being Thos.
H. Owen, later as Bailey & Kistler, then as Bailey & Wyand, and later as Bailey, Wyand & Moon, being the late J. E. Wyand
and Charles A. Moon. At the time of his death November 13th, 1916, the firm was Bailey & Wyand.
Mr. DeRoos Bailey was married twice, his first wife being Miss Lillian McDowell of Yellville, Arkansas, by which union there
was one child, Lillian Lucile Bailey, now Mrs. Herbert A. Hedges. His second wife was Miss Berdena Atkins of Springfield,
Missouri, who survived him, by which union he had two children, Esther Bailey, now Mrs. Tamil Bixby, Jr., of Muskogee, Oklahoma,
and Paul Atkins Bailey of Kansas City, Mo.
DeRoos Bailey was of English-Scotch-Irish stock which is a sufficient genealogical explanation for his perseverance, pluck,
keenness, versatility and substantial ability, by the exercise of which he attained an enviable and an honorable reputation
from untoward circumstances by force of indomitable will.
NAPOLEON BONAPARTE MAXEY
Born in Smith County, Tennessee, July 15th, 1853, and died July 15th, 1930, it being his seventy-seventh birthday. His father
was Thomas J. Maxey, of French extraction. His mother was Mary B. Day, of Scotch descent, whose parents were John Douglas
and Margaret (McCauley) Day.
N. B. Maxey spent his youth on a farm, attending the neighborhood schools until the outbreak of the Civil War, when conditions
forced all schools to close, there being no opportunity for him to continue his education for several years. After attaining
adult age he raised a crop of tobacco with the proceeds of which he went to Union County, Illinois, in the fall of 1875 to
visit an uncle and while there attended district school through the winter term, and in the spring attended a twelve weeks
term at Anna, Illinois. In the spring of 1877 he entered the University of Chicago, where he remained two years working his
way by lighting street lamps and delivering papers. He returned to Union County, Illinois, where he pursued the study of the
law under Judge Monroe C. Crawford and W. S. Day, teaching school through the winter months to meet expenses. He was admitted
to the practice before the Supreme Court of Illinois in February 1881, opening a law office at Jonesboro, Illinois, where
he continued in the practice of the law until 1888, at which time he removed to Gainesville, Texas, engaging in the practice
of law. When Congress established a United States Court at Muskogee, then the Indian Territory, in the spring of 1889, he
located there, being admitted to practice at Muskogee on the date of the organization of the United States Court, April 1st,
Judge Maxey was married in Jonesboro, Illinois, in 1881, to Miss Augusta C. Miller, who died in the fall of 1914. They had
a family of four children Wm. Tull.y, Susan, Louise, now wife of Henry Stanley Shelor, and Thomas M., who died when about
five years of age, and four grandchildren: Henry Stanley Shelor; Maxey A. Shelor; Robert R. Shelor and Douglas Shelor.
In politics Judge Maxey was a Democrat. He was a member of the House of Representatives in the fifth Legislature of Oklahoma,
and also a member of the Supreme Court Commission for one term, (1923-5). He was a member of various Masonic bodies, including
Knights Templar Commandery, Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter.
THOMAS LaFAYETTE RIDER
Thomas LaFayette Rider, born in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, Going Snake District, now Adair County, April 12th,
1856, son of Charles Augustus Rider, born in Tennessee in 1826, and Mary (Bigbey) Rider, born in Georgia in 1828. His father
fought in the Civil War under Stand Watie, after the war was elected to the National Council of the Cherokee Nation. His grandfather
was Austin Rider, born in Tennessee in the year 1800, and grandmother Katherine (Bigbey) Rider.
Thos L. Rider was educated in the local schools and the Cherokee National Male Seminary at Tahlequah, entering there in 1870.
He was married in 1879 to Josephine Pace, who was born in Georgia March 22nd, 1861. He cast his first vote when Hayes and
Tilden ran for President; was always deeply interested and active in all affairs that concerned the welfare of his people,
he being a Cherokee Indian, a Democrat and Methodist, (always spoke with pride that he belonged to only two organizations)
"The Democratic Party and The Methodist Church."
He became a Minister of the Gospel at the age of twenty-nine (29) years, riding horse-back, blazing trails through the country
within a radius of sixty miles or more, preaching, holding meetings, organizing sunday schools, churches, prayer-meetings
and schools, urging and encouraging the building of school houses and churches. He spoke the Cherokee language to some extent,
but could understand it better than he could speak it; it being necessary at times for an interpreter to interpret his sermons
and speeches into Cherokee for the fullblood Indians.
He lived on a farm in Adair County, raising a large family of children, and educating them in the Cherokee male and female
seminaries at Tahlequah and the high school at Muskogee, and then sending them to various colleges.
In 1907 when Oklahoma became a state he was elected for three terms to the House of Representatives from Adair County, serving
six years during the administrations of Governors C. N. Haskell and Lee Cruce. Then he was elected from the District to the
Senate, serving during the administrations of Governors R. L. Williams and J. B. A. Robertson.
In later years he made his home with his daughter in Muskogee, having been appointed Gasoline Inspector by the Corporation
Commission and was holding that office at the time of his death, September 20th, 1932.
T. L. Rider left surviving him the following children; Mrs. Ola (Rider) French, now Mrs. Farley French, Oklahoma City, Miss
Mary Rider, Oklahoma City, Cherry T. Augusta (Rider) Garland, now Mrs. Tom Garland, Oklahoma City, Mrs. Anna (Rider) Washburn,
now Mrs. Bert Lee Washburn, Kansas City, Mo., Miss Atalie Iva Rider, New York City, N. Y., Roscoe Conklin Rider, Muskogee,
Okla., Mrs. Mittie Earl (Rider) Brook, now Mrs. Edd K. Brook, Muskogee, Oklahoma, Mrs. Phoebe (Rider) Barbre, now Mrs. Jess
A. Barbre, Muskogee, Oklahoma.
PATRICK JAMES GOULDING
Son of James A. Goulding and his wife Anna F. (McGlew) Goulding. Born at Rochester, New York, March 5, 1862, near the hill
of Tara. His father was born in the City of Navin, Ireland, both sides of the family tracing their line back to the days of
St. Patrick, sharing with him the vicisitudes of that day. He was related on his mother's side to Arch
Bishop of Armaugh. His grandparents and other relatives came to America in 1847 settling in New York State where they resided
for several years. In 1867 they removed to Iowa, settling on a farm in Benton County, where Patrick James Goulding grew to
manhood. He received a public school and academic education in Iowa. Later he attended the University of Notre Dame at South
Bend, Indiana, where he graduated in both engineering and law. Not taking to the law he followed the profession of engineering
in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and the Dakotas, finally coming to Oklahoma Territory, where he made the run in the Cherokee
Strip on September 16, 1893. Staking out a claim near Enid he joined in building a town and city out of Enid. In connection
with Mr. C. E. Gannon and others he engaged as one of the pioneers in the real estate, insurance, loan and abstract business.
He was a public spirited citizen joining in inducing different railroads to come to Enid and building substantial public buildings.
He was a member of the Commercial Club and active in all things for the betterment of the city and country. He was a member
of the Knights of Columbus and of the Roman Catholic Church. Politically he was a Democrat. At the erection of the state he
was elected from the Enid district as a member of the State Senate of Oklahoma and re-elected, serving two terms, and taking
an active part in legislation. He was largely instrumental in securing location of the feeble minded institute on the outskirts
of Enid, which is one of the leading institutions of its kind in the United States. By act of the Legislature May 23, 1913,
provision was made for the construction of a State Capitol, a State Capitol Commission being created by Resolution approved
by the Senate on May 13, 1913, and by the House on the same date. It was provided that the Capitol Commission should be composed
of two Democrats and one Republican, the Democratic members of the house to select one of the Democrats, and the Democratic
members of the senate to select another member, and the Republicans in the minority in both house and senate were to select
a third member. Patrick James Goulding was selected by the Democrats in the Senate; W. B. Anthony by the Democrats in the
house; and Stephen A. Douglas by the Republican members of both the house and senate. The Commission as constituted employed
architects. Plans being drawn same were approved and the Commission proceeded to begin the construction of the Capitol. When
the Fifth Legislature convened, in January, 1915, the foundation had been completed. By Act of March 18, 1915, the original
act providing for construction of the Capitol and creating a Commission was amended, providing that the Governor should "be
ex-officio chairman of the Commission," and continuing the other three members as members thereof, and providing: "that the
members of said Commission shall hold their office until the completion of the State Capitol Building, or until removed by
the Governor of the state as provided herein." Soon after said commission was thus reorganized, by resolution of same, a Citizens
Advisory Commission was appointed by said Commission to advise with said Commission in the construction of said building,
to-wit: Joseph Huckins, Jr., Chairman, E. K. Gaylord, Vice-Chairman, Tom Hale, F. M. Pirtle, H. W. Gibson, Sr., Edgar S. Vaught
and S. W. Hogan. Said building having been expeditiously completed the Sixth Legislature on March 16, 1917, passed House Resolution
No. 46, as follows:
"Whereas, this great undertaking has been accomplished without a suspicion or intimation of graft or extravagance;...Be it
resolved, That we hereby tender on behalf of the people of the State our earnest commendation for their earnest and efficient
efforts in building the Capitol, the intelligent care and supervision they have given to this great responsibility, and the
value of their services in the discharge of their duty."
Senator Goulding had the following brothers and sisters: Agnes (Mother
Bernardine) who died March 21, 1921; Catherine (Mrs. Patrick Ferrell) who died January 12, 1886; Lawrence Goulding, of Denver,
Colorado; Anna (Sister Evangelist) who died April 29, 1907; Lillian; Walter and H. A. Goulding. His father died in July 1895
and his mother on April 18, 1918. On November 15, 1908, he married Miss Nannie Lou Bates, who survives him. He died May 4,
1918, and is buried in the Enid cemetery.
CLARENCE LOT THOMAS
Clarence Lot Thomas, born in Storm Lake, Iowa, December 27th, 1881; his parents Lot Thomas and Oma (Barton) Thomas; grand
parents, (paternal), Christian Thomas and Susanna (Fink) Thomas, grandparents, (maternal), Elisha Barton and Cevilla Weirman.
*Lot Thomas, father of Clarence Lot Thomas, was a Representative in Congress from Iowa, born near Markleysburg, Fayette County,
Pa., October 17, 1843; attended the public schools and Vermillion Institute, Hayesville, Ohio; moved to Iowa in 1868; taught
school in New Virginia, Warren County; attended the law department of the University of Iowa at Iowa City, and was admitted
to the bar in 1870, and practiced law; Judge of the fourteenth judicial district of Iowa from 1885 until his resignation August
26th, 1898, having become a candidate for Congress; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-sixth, Fifty-seventh and Fifty-eighth
Congresses (March 4, 1899-March 3, 1905), died on a train near Yuma, Arizona, March 17th, 1905; interment in Storm Lake Cemetery,
Storm Lake, Iowa.
Clarence Lot Thomas was graduated from the High School in Storm Lake, Iowa; from Leland Stanford, Jr. University, later taking
a law course and degree from Columbia University in New York City. In 1913 he compiled and edited a book entitled "Annotated
Acts of Congress, The Five Civilized Tribes and Osage Nation."
He was married to Miss Jane Gray at Muskogee, Indian Territory, January 24th, 1906, and by that union there was one daughter,
Evelyn Thomas, now Mrs. Sauson of Glendale, California.
Clarence Lot Thomas had one brother, Frank Thomas, who was graduated from Leland Stanford Jr. University and lived in Los
Angeles California; died in Los Angeles in 1907. He also had one sister Cora Thomas, who married D. O. Nay of Miami, Florida,
now residing there.
Clarence Lot Thomas came to the Indian Territory in the fall of 1903. In 1904 formed partnership of Thomas & deMeules which
continued until 1908 when Mr. E. A. deMeules withdrew to become attorney for the Midland Valley Railway Company, at which
time Mr. Thomas became a member of the firm of Gibson & Ramsey, under the firm of Gibson, Ramsey & Thomas, which continued
until 1909, when Mr. N. A. Gibson withdrew and the firm of Ramsey & Thomas continued until the death of Mr. Thomas.
Mr. Thomas died in Muskogee, Oklahoma, July 5th, 1914, and was survived by his widow and daughter.
CAPTAIN JAMES STIRMAN STANDLEY
Born in what is now Leflore County, Miss. on March 8, 1841, died October 20th, 1904, at Atoka, Indian Territory, where he
Abraham Standley was born either in North Carolina or Tennessee about the middle of the Eighteenth Century. He came of a Huguenot
family who settled in North Carolina in the early part of the Seventeenth Century. He was living in Williamson County, in
Middle Tennessee in 1790, married, having four children: viz: Mary, James, Benjamin and David. The daughter, Mary Standley,
married Littleton Beuthall. Benjamin Standley married and lived at Lebanon, Tennessee. David Standley moved to Mississippi
and married a Miss Eubanks. James Standley, Sr., born June 22nd, 1792, moved from Tennessee in 1814 to the Choctaw Nation
in the Territory of Mississippi. In 1816 he married the widow Patton, nee Lucy Brashears, the daughter of Turner Brashears.
From this union there were three children, viz: Eliza, James, Jr., and Amelia Standley. Eliza married Freeman Smith, the son
of a missionary from New England, named John Smith. From this union there came two children, namely: Hervey R. Smith and Adeliza
Smith. Hervey R. Smith married and became the father of five sons, viz: Freeman, Leslie, George, Hillie and Elmo. Adeliza
Smith married Robert Turner and became the mother of two children, Robert F. Turner and Medora Turner. Robert F. Turner married
Olga Standley July 30, 1875. To this union came seven children, viz: Standley, Eva, Leona, James, Ben, Puck, and Nora. Standley
Turner married Lena Terrill in January, 1899. Medora Turner married Benjamin Hightower in 1874 and had one child, Addie.
James Standley, Sr., after his marriage to the widow Patton, nee Lucy Brashears, settled on a place in the Yazoo River bottom
in Mississippi, where he lived consecutively in three counties without moving, Yazoo, Holmes and Carroll and in about 1870
his place was placed in Leflore County, on the organization of that county, where it still remains.
His wife, Lucy Standley, nee Lucy Brashears, having died in 1825, James Standley, Sr., then in 1829 married Eva Cochenauer.
By this second wife he became the father of seven children, viz: Ephraim Foster, Jane, Abram, Benj. Franklin, Geo. Washington,
Amanda Cochenauer, and Cornelia Carraway. James Standley, Sr., died in Carroll (now Lefiore) County, Mississippi, November
James Standley, Jr., born in the State of Mississippi April 17, 1819, was educated in the Choctaw Academy in Scott County,
Ky. On June 11th, 1840, he was married to Margaret Irvin Tadlock. From this marriage there were born six children, viz: James
Stirman Standley, born March 8, 1841; John Tadlock Standley, born October 26, 1843; Leona Standley, born January 24, 1846;
William Pitt Standley, born June 6, 1849, Eva Standley, born November 25, 1852; and Olga Standley, born November 29, 1856,
all born in Carroll (now Lefiore) County, Mississippi on the old homestead four miles west of Black Hawk.
James Standley, Jr., who later married a widow by the name of Jones, formerly a widow of Henderson Pate, whose maiden name
was Margaret Conner, died in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, near South Canadian, on October 10th, 1872, at the home
of Mr. A. J. McDuff, he, then being on a prospective visit in company with a son, Wm. P. Standley.
The old Standley homestead near Black Hawk was located on the road leading from Black Hawk to Marion, now called Sidon.
The primary education of James Stirman Standley was had in the common schools near his home. He later attended the Kentucky
Military Institute, near Frankford, Ky., where he graduated June 13th, 1860, taking first honors of his class. He commenced
to read law in October of the same year in the office of Col. Daniel R. Russell, in Carrolton, Miss.
In 1861, a military company was organized in Carrolton called the "Carrolton Rifles," James Stirman Standley being elected
first Lieutenant. The company left Carrolton for military service in behalf of the Confederate States of America on April
29th, 1861. The "Carrolton Rifles" became Company K of the 11th Mississippi Regiment, which was organized at Cornith, Miss.,
and ordered to Lynchburg, Va., hence to Harper's Ferry, stopping en route a few days at Winchester.
After the evacuation of Harper's Ferry by the Confederate forces,
they retired to Winchester where Brigades were formed. General Barnard E. Bee was assigned to the command of the 3rd Brigade,
of which the 11th Mississippi Regiment was a part, Lieutenant James Stirman Standley being detailed as acting Assistant Adjutant
General on General Bee's Staff. The Command crossed the Blue Ridge in July to reinforce General Beuregard on Bull Run near
Manassas Junction and participated in the first battle of Mannassas, fought on Sunday, July 21st, 1861.
General Bee having been mortally wounded, Brig. General Wm. H. C. Whiting being assigned to the command of the 3rd Brigade
as General Bee's successor, he retained Lieutenant Standley on his staff in the same capacity as Acting Assistant Adjutant
After various movements of the command to Bristow Station, and on the Occoquan river, the Brigade went into winter quarters
there, thence to Fredericksburg in the last of March, 1862, and thence to Yorktown to relieve General Magruder. About this
time General Whiting was detached from the Brigade, being sent to Wilmington, North Carolina, Lieutenant James Stirman Standley
returned to his Company.
On the retreat from Yorktown, which was evacuated about May 20th, 1862, Brig. General Pender being assigned to the command
of the 3rd Brigade, invited Lieutenant James Stirman Standley to take his former position on the staff.
Soon after the command arrived in front of Richmond, an attack was ordered against the Federal forces, and on May 31st, 1862,
the battle of Seven Pines was fought in which Lieutenant James Stirman Standley was wounded in the right arm. Being permanently
disabled his resignation and withdrawal from the military service of the Confederate States of America during the next year
was necessitated. In the meantime he having reached the Captaincy of his company by promotion, he resigned therefrom in July
1863, on account of said disability occasioned by wound received in active service.
While on leave of absence at his home in Mississippi, on account of the gun shot wound in his right arm, he met Miss Alice
Robinson Posey, formerly of Port Gibson, Claiborne County, Mississippi, temporarily in Carrol and Tallahatchie Counties, of
the same State, and courted her and they were married at the home of her cousin, Jere Robinson in Tallahatchie County, Miss.,
by the Rev. Stephen Johnson, on June 10th, 1863. To this union ten children were born, viz: Blanche, born April 5th, 1864,
died June 10th, 1864; Norma, born July 15, 1865, now Mrs. B. S. Smizer; Lillian, born January 13, 1868, died February 23,
1874; Mary Jane, born February 4, 1870, died July 3, 1886; Kate, born July 10, 1871, died Sept. 19, 1873; James Stirman, Jr.,
born July 3, 1873, died March 31, 1896; Eva, born January 10th, 1875, now Mrs. J. G. Ralls; Clauda Money, born September 23,
1877, now Mrs. Catlin; Leona Spann, born August 28, 1879, now Mrs. F. D. Fulton; and Annie Posey, born August 28, 1879, and
died September 5, 1884.
The first six of these children were born in Carroll (now Leflore) County, Miss., and the four latter being in the Choctaw
Nation, Indian Territory, on a farm near South Canadian.
In September 1874, James Stirman Standley, Sr., removed from the State of Mississippi with his family, consisting then of
his wife and three children living, viz: Norma, Mary Jane, and James S., Jr., to the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, settling
on a farm near South Canadian.
The three children, Blanche, Lillian and Kate, who died in Mississippi are buried on the James Standley, Sr., old home place
and Lillian and Kate in the cemetery at Winona, Montgomery County, Miss.
In January 1881 James Stirman Standley, Sr., moved from the farm near South Canadian to Atoka.
His wife, Alice Robinson Standley died at Atoka April 4th, 1881 and Annie Posey Standley died in Atoka, September 5th, 1884.
Mary Jane, was drowned July 3, 1886 in Boggy Creek, near Atoka.
James Stirman Standley, Jr., died in Atoka March 31, 1896. The remains of these four children and his wife are buried in the
cemetery in Atoka. In 1866 he and his wife became members of the Christian Church.
Previous to leaving Mississippi, Capt. J. S. Standley, Sr., having completed the study of law, which he had begun before the
Civil War, was licensed to practice in all of the Courts of the State. Later he was licensed to practice in the Choctaw Court,
the U. S. Court at Ft. Smith, Ark., the United States Court in the Indian Territory and the United States Circuit Court of
Appeals for the 8th Circuit.
In 1874 he secured the establishment of his and his family's citizenship in the Choctaw Nation and after 1876 participated
with some prominence in the public affairs of said Nation, representing it almost continuously in Washington City, pressing
the "Leased District" claims.
In 1882 he met Mrs. Lizzie C. Harrison, nee Edwards, of Leesburg, Va. in Washington City, and on November 29th, 1882, they
were married in Leesburg by the Rev. R. T. Davis.
His daughter, Norma married B. S. Smizer on January 24th, 1886.
His daughter Eva married Joseph G. Ralls, February 9th, 1893.
His son James S. Standley, Jr. married Bertha Salmon, January 3rd, 1895, who after his death married the late J. Q. Jones.
His daughter Leona Spann Standley married James D. Fulton on October 6th, 1897.
His daughter Clauda Money Standley married Rev. James D. Catlin, January 5th, 1898.
STEPHEN A. DOUGLAS
Born in Jefferson City, Missouri, October 31, 1862. He was one of six children born to George B. Douglas and his wife Margaret
Douglas, nee Pendleton. His paternal grandfather was Mathew Douglas, the family consisting of George B. Douglas, Robert Douglas,
Noah Douglas and Daniel Douglas. His maternal grandfather was Benjamin Pendleton, whose wife was Betsy Ann Pendleton, nee
Kincaid, the Pendletons and Kincaids coming from Pennsylvania and Virginia. The children of George B. and Margaret Ann Douglas
were Ella Lake Douglas, Stephen A. Douglas, Clarence B. Douglas, Ashley W. Douglas, Frank S. Douglas and Betsy Ann Douglas,
of whom Clarence B., Frank S. and Betsy Ann McDonald, nee Douglas, are now living in Oklahoma. Stephen A. Douglas went to
Texas with his father's family in 1876, making a part of the trip by covered wagon, settling in Colin County near the interior
town of Weston. The family later moved to Whitesboro, then to Gainesville, Texas, where he learned the blacksmith trade and
married Maud S. Carnal in 1888. With his father he put in a ranch at what is now South Ardmore and opened a blacksmith shop,
the first place of business opened at the latter named townsite of Ardmore. His first work was tool dressing for the Sante
Fe construction gang grading the roadbed into Ardmore from Texas. He lived at Ardmore until the time of his death and was
one of the five organizers of the Republican Party in Indian Territory about 1890. He served six years as Deputy U. S. Clerk
under C. M. Campbell and for nine years was Postmaster at Ardmore. In the latter part of Governor Cruce's administration he
was elected Republican member of the State Capitol Commission and following the inauguration of Governor R. L. Williams was
named by him as an assistant supervisor in the construction of the Capitol, moving his home temporarily to Oklahoma City and
for such time giving his entire attention to such supervision. (See article on Hon. P. J. Goulding in this issue). He died at his home in Ardmore, Sunday, June 1, 1919 and is buried at Ardmore.
Return to top
Electronic Publishing Center |
OSU Home |
Search this Site