Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 9, No. 4
ROBERT J. RAY
Robert J. Ray was born December 7th, 1864, at Flatcreek, Bedford County, Tennessee, and died Tuesday, June 2nd, 1931, at Lawton,
Comanche County, Oklahoma.
Judge Ray left his home in Tennessee while yet a boy in years and came out to West Texas, but later changed his residence
to Dallas. He was ambitious to acquire an education. Early in life he began the study of law and took a law course in Lebanon
Tennessee Law School. When it was announced that part of old Indian Territory which had been designated Oklahoma was to be opened to settlement, he at once decided that this was an opportunity for a young lawyer and he cast his lot with
the thousands of prospective settlers in 1889—And since that time his life has been a part of the history of our Great State.
When territorial government was established by the Organic Act (May 2nd, 1890), three judges were appointed; they were to
have jurisdiction over both Territorial and United States cases. They held their first session in Guthrie in June 1890, and
at that session Robert J. Ray made application to practice law and was admitted to the bar. He was active in the practice
all of his life, except when discharging the duties of the several public offices to which he had been elected or appointed.
Judge Ray was a pioneer lawyer at the time of the opening of Oklahoma in 1889; he was a pioneer lawyer at Cheyenne, Roger
Mills County, Oklahoma, after the opening of the Cheyenne and Arapaho reservations, April 19th, 1892; and was one of the first
lawyers practicing at Woodward after the opening of the Cherokee Outlet on September 16th, 1893. He afterwards located at
Lawton, Comanche County, at the opening of the Kiowa and Comanche reservation in the fall of 1901, where he continued the
practice of his chosen profession.
As to his standing in the profession, I quote from an article from the Oklahoma State Bar Journal of June 1931.
"Judge Ray was one of the outstanding lawyers of the Southwest, and highly ethical in the practice, not only in law, but in
his private dealings with his fellowman; being never known to compromise or swerve from what he considered just and proper.
While in the Supreme Court Commission, he wrote some outstanding opinions, which settled for all time certain contentions
of how a certain rule of law should apply; and it was frequently said that when Judge Ray wrote an opinion 'then that is the
At the opening of the Cherokee Outlet, September 16th, 1893, Judge Ray located at Woodward, and was appointed one of the three
commissioners of "N" County (now Woodward County). He was elected to the Territorial Council in 1894 from Council District
Number Thirteen. It was rather a singular co-incidence that he was the only democrat who served in the Council of the Third
Legislative Assembly. I have often heard it said that Judge Ray had more influence in that legislature than any other man.
He was so well informed regarding the affairs of the Territory and so honest and conscientious in the consideration of every
subject that his opinion was respected and he was able to wield a vast influence in the legislature.
Soon after his return from the Capital at the close of the legislative session, he was appointed by President Cleveland, Registrar
of the United States Land Office at Woodward; a position of trust and responsibility. He held this position some two or three
years, and upon retirement from this office he resumed the practice of law, having for a partner, Honorable Temple Houston,
the distinguished son of General Samuel Houston.
When the Kiowa and Comanche reservation was opened to settlement in the fall of 1901, Judge Ray moved from Woodward to Lawton
and opened a law office. He knew many of the new settlers and he soon had a lucrative practice.
Judge Ray was elected County Judge of Comanche County in 1916 and presided over that Court until 1922.
In 1923 he was appointed a member of the Supreme Court Commission and served in that capacity until 1927. The duties of that
office were at the Capital and he made his home in this City, but upon retiring returned to his former home at Lawton.
In his home town he was always active in civic affairs, assisting in every way where his services could be useful. During
the war Judge Ray was chairman of the Legal Advisory Voard; chairman of the Council of Defense, and chairman of the Draft
Board. Wherever he could do good in his community, or to his fellowman, his services were freely and gladly given.
While residing at Woodward he married Miss Olive B. Smith, daughter of B. B. Smith, county attorney of Woodward County. Miss
Smith was a highly educated, intelligent, refined lady. They have one son, Kenneth, who resides at Lawton. Mrs. Ray is a lawyer,
having been admitted to the bar several years ago. It is her intention to carry on the law work of her late husband.
Judge Ray was a man who had opinions of his own upon most every subject, and was inclined to hold fast those opinions. The
fact that someone else thought differently or that he was in the minority would not cause him to change those opinions unless
he was convinced that he was in the wrong.
There has been many changes and much history written since Oklahoma was opened to settlement by proclamation of President
Harrison issued March 23, 1889. It has been an era of progress and development throughout the Nation. Not only have we made
advancements in material things but humanity has made progress in all that exalts and embellishes civilization. Upon the stage
of life in this wonderful epoch of material and cultural advancement, Robert J. Ray played his part and played it well. Coming
to Oklahoma in the springtime of his life, full of hope and ambition, and endowed with superior intelligence and an honesty
of purpose that could never be questioned, he left a record of achievement that will ever crown his memory.
Forty-two years is not a long time in history, but it is a long time in human life. Of all of those who were at the opening
of Oklahoma Territory to settlement in 1889, and who had a part in the establishment of civil government, and of those who
were leaders in the organization of schools and churches, and of the doctors and lawyers who were engaged in the practice
of their professions the first year after the opening of Oklahoma, only a few are with us yet.
Judge Ray was a democrat in his political affiliations and an ardent believer in the principles of that party. He assisted
in the organization of the party in Oklahoma and was a delegate to the first convention held in the Territory March 11th,
He was an ideal citizen and a kindly man, who like, Abou ben Adhem, loved his fellowman. As a friend, he was a man in whom
one could confide his hopes and ambitions without fear of having them mis-
understood, or could unbosom the deep sorrows and disappointments of life with the assurance that he was giving his confidence
to a man who had an intelligent understanding and a sympathetic heart.
In a memorial tribute by The Reverend T. J. Irwin of Lawton, who had known Judge Ray for more than thirty years, he used these
"Judge Ray studied his Bible, followed the meek and lowly Nazarene, and lived the law that commands us to do unto others as
we would that they should do unto us. He was a scholar. He studied laws of God and man. He had a lovable disposition and an
attractive manner. Judge Ray was an honest man in thought, honest in word, and honest in deed."
The writer is glad to have been numbered among the friends of Judge Ray. I made his acquaintance in the spring of 1889, and
we became friends and that friendship lasted until the day of his death.
"To the past go more dead faces,
Come no new ones in their places,
Everywhere the sad eyes meet us,
In the evening's dusk they greet us,
And to come to them entreat us,
A. J. TITUS
Died June 27, 1931, at Anthony, Kans., A. J. Titus, founder of Cherokee and its mayor for 18 years.
Andrew J. Titus was born March 11, 1865, at Serepta, N. J., and moved to Kansas with his parents in 1878.
In 1891 he was elected district court clerk of Harper county, Kans., and served two terms. In 1893 he made the "run" into
the Cherokee Strip from Caldwell, Kans., but soon abandoned his claim, near what is now Lamont, Okla.
He served two terms in the Kansas legislature during the populist days, when he was a confidential friend of Governor Leedy,
Jerry Simpson, and U. S. Senator Harris.
In 1901 he laid out the town of Cherokee, and in enticing railroads into that rich farming community put down 56 miles of
road bed in the Cherokee Strip.
Before the rails reached the little prairie village he hired the Rockaway stage to "make" the new town, and after rail communication
was made built the Cherokee Mill and Elevator Company's roller mills, and throughout the whole history of the town refused
to allow a saloon within the city limits.
In 1907 he drew with his own hand the map which divided old Woods county into Major, Alfalfa, and the present Woods counties.
During his 18 years of mayorship he supervised the erection of Cherokee's school buildings and municipal light plant, and
was especially interested in the public playgrounds which he established in the town.
Titus has made Cherokee the attractive town it is today. His efforts in its interests have been varied as well as numerous.
Cherokee citizens speak truly when they refer to him as the "daddy of Cherokee."
JAMES P. RENFREW
We are printing below an obituary which was published in the Woodward News Bulletin, Woodward, Oklahoma, October 23, 1931,
of Mr. James P. Renfrew.
Mr. Renfrew had long been identified with the Oklahoma Historical Society and was one of our earliest members. At the May
1928 meeting of the Board of Directors of the Society, he was by unanimous vote elected an honorary member of this Society.
"James P. Renfrew died at Woodward General Hospital at 7:15 a. m. October 16, 1931, at the age of eighty-two years, one month
and sixteen days, having been born in Benton County, Iowa, August 31, 1849.
Mr. Renfrew lived for many years in Caldwell County, Missouri, moving from there to Barber County, Kansas, in January, 1887.
He Moved to Woods County, Oklahoma, at the opening of the Cherokee Strip, September 16, 1893, and settled on a farm. In 1894,
he was elected to the office of county treasurer of Woods County.
In May, 1899, he became part owner of the Alva Review and was part owner of that paper for three years. On July 10, 1902,
he published the first issue of Renfrew's Record at Alva, and continued its ownership until February 1921, the paper now being
owned by A. W. Doughty and published as the Alva Record.
In May, 1910, he was elected and served one year as president of the Oklahoma Press Association. In 1911 he served as a member
of the Board of Regents of the Boys' State Training School at Pauls Valley. From 1916 to 1922 he served as postmaster of Alva.
Mrs. Renfrew died December 18, 1924, since which time Mr. Renfrew has made his home with his son, J. A. Renfrew, at Alva,
and at Woodward where he has been confined to the Woodward General Hospital.
He is survived by John A. Renfrew, son, living at Alva; Rufus O. Renfrew, son, living at Woodward; a sister, Mrs. Emily J.
DeGeer, National City California; Mrs. Mary DeGeer, sister, of Trenton, New Jersey; Mrs. Hessie L. Nuce, sister, of Boone,
Colorado; Mrs. Edith L. Street granddaughter, and family, of Sharon, Oklahoma; and Mrs. Fred King, granddaughter, living at
Funeral services were held at the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Alva, Oklahoma, of which he had formerly been a member,
at 2:00 p. m., last Sunday, followed by interment in the A. O. U. W. cemetery.
HARRY MAYO DUNLAP
Harry Mayo Dunlap born in Leavenworth, Kansas, December 12, 1870, being the youngest of four children: two brothers, Frank
and William Walter, one sister, Grace Elizabeth, in addition to himself.
His father was Benjamin Hopkins Dunlap, and his mother Nancy Ann Dickens Dunlap.
It was in Leavenworth that he spent his childhood days, moving to Old Mexico at the age of fourteen years, he learned to speak
Spanish fluently, and often served as interpreter.
The family then moved from there to Colorado, then to Dexter, Texas. The latter being a small town, he entered the public
schools in Whitesboro, Texas, making his home with his sister, Mrs. Bland Bennett,
After finishing school there he attended the University of Texas, taking a Law Course.
Coming back to Whitesboro, he accepted the position of cashier of the City Bank, J. M. Buchanan being president.
At this time he was married to Miss Maude Edwards of that city, and two years later they moved to Sherman, Texas. He was admitted
to the Bar in 1894, forming a partnership with Judge Galloway. On August 2nd, 1895 their first child, a daughter, Grace Elizabeth
In 1897, he with his family moved to Durant, Oklahoma, and he accepted a position as cashier of the First National Bank.
On November 30th, 1899, a son Bennett M. was born. December 29th of the same year, his wife died.
In 1901 he moved to Caddo, Oklahoma, and helped to organize the Choctaw National Bank, of which he was made president.
On July 23rd, 1902, he married Miss Annie Josephine Edwards, of Sherman, Texas, a sister of his first wife.
To this union, two children were born: Mayo Genevieve, August 6th, 1903, and Margaret Andra, October 6th, 1905, who died March
Soon his health began to fail and he spent a number of years going to different health resorts. Not getting any stronger he
resigned his position with the bank and with his family moved to Los Angeles, California, remaining there a few years. Then
moved to Phoenix, Arizona, where he was State Manager of the Southern Surety Company, until his death, June 23rd, 1912. His
remains were shipped to his old home in Caddo, Oklahoma, for burial, where he was buried.
His illness lasted seven years, but he lost but few days from his office as he had such a determination to regain his health.
He helped with every worthy enterprise in Caddo, and always had its interest at heart. He was a pioneer citizen, locating
there before Oklahoma became a State, and saw the small village of Caddo grow into a thriving busy town. He helped to make
it possible for the town to secure light and water systems and many other much needed improvements.
He was a member of the City Council and served with other civic organizations.
CHARLES HENRY BOWER.
Charles Henry Bower, *son of Alex Bower and his wife Elizabeth Bower, nee Rothrock, born August 16, 1860, at Fredericksburg, Virginia. Died about
twelve miles southwest of Chickasha, November 26, 1928. Buried at Laverty, Grady County, Oklahoma. His father and mother were
both Episcopalians. He was married to Miss Zimmie Clark at El Reno, Oklahoma, on January 17, 1895. His wife and one daughter,
Mable Virginia, now Mrs. Key Goetting, who resides with her, 910 South 20th Street, Chickasha, Oklahoma, survive.
Having completed his course in the public schools of the city of his birth he finished in a law school at Baltimore, Maryland,
and later studied medicine at Baltimore, but did not pursue either profession, coming West settling in Texas and engaging
in the cattle business. About 1891 he settled on a farm near Chickasha where he resided at the time of his death. He held
no public office except as delegate from District No. 41 to the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.
EUGENE B. LAWSON
It will be the privilege of but few men to create a greater influence upon the history of Oklahoma than has the life of Eugene
B. Lawson whose passing on June 25th., 1931, at his home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, after a brief illness, came as a distinct shock
to his friends and to the State at large.
Born near Shelbyville, Kentucky, on May 27th, 1871, the son of the late William H. and Polly M. Lawson, he attained his early
education in the Public Schools of Shelbyville and at Scearces Academy at that place—at nineteen he was teaching school in
Archer County, Texas, for five years supported himself by teaching, devoting his unoccupied hours to the study of law, and
at the age of twenty-four was admitted to the bar at Wichita Falls, Texas. As soon as he was admitted to the practice of law
young Lawson cast about for a suitable location and decided upon Nowata in the Indian Territory, and began the practice of
his profession there in 1896. His efforts were marked with success from the beginning and in a few years he attained a reputation
for ability, honesty and integrity which brought him an extensive and lucrative practice.
On October 31, 1901, at Alluwe, Oklahoma, Mr. Lawson married Roberta E. Campbell, daughter of the late John E. Campbell and
Emma J. Campbell, and he is survived by her and by their son, Edward C. Lawson, who was born at Nowata, Oklahoma, October
7, 1905, and who has succeeded to his father's business.
Upon coming in to the Indian Territory, Eugene B. Lawson quickly aligned himself with every man or group of men who desired
to obtain for Oklahoma and Indian Territories better living conditions, better government, better law enforcement and the
early admission of these Territories into the Union as a sovereign State, and the attainment of each of these objectives was
assisted by his influence, energy and his means.
A republican in politics, he became the standard bearer of his party for member of the Constitutional Convention of the State
and later for the office of Lieutenant Governor and proved himself an able and active campaigner. A man of great energy and
almost unlimited capacity for accomplishment of every purpose, it was not unnatural to find that his profession did not keep
him from becoming one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Nowata and interested in the banking business, a producer
of oil, a manufacturer of ice with plants in five cities in Oklahoma and Kansas, and with it all a love for the fields and
streams and the sea, and time to hunt and take what God gave man dominion over.
At the height of a successful law practice Mr. Lawson determined to retire and to devote his entire time to his other business
enterprises, and in 1914 he discontinued the practice of law and began enlarging his interests in the oil business, extending
his operations into Kansas and Texas, and becoming one of the largest independent oil operators in the State. In order to
be more centrally located for the conduct of his business he removed from Nowata to Tulsa in 1927 and resided with his family
at 1008 Sunset Drive in that city at the time of his death.
Mr. Lawson was a member of the Presbyterian Church, a Mason, and a member of a number of civic and social organizations and
clubs, and in these as in all other activities of life his talents were not buried.
On June 27, 1931, he was laid to rest in Memorial Park near Tulsa, on a hill-side looking toward the rising of the sun, and
his family and friends standing at his sepulcher with one accord could say—here lies a man whose friendship was sincere, whose
love was genuine, whose sympathy was unlimited, a gentleman.
"He that followeth after righteousness and kindness
Findeth life, righteousness and honor."
—J. Wood Glass.
GEORGE A. FOOSHEE
George A. Fooshee, born in White County, Tennessee, September 30, 1869. Son of Jonas and Jennie Fooshee, nee Crook. His maternal
grandfather John B. Crook was one of the early settlers in Tennessee and like Jonas Fooshee was a farmer. His father and mother
died in the early 90's in Tennessee with the following children surviving: Joseph C., of Dayton, Tennessee; George A.; and
Robert L. of Sparta, Tennessee, all of whom grew to manhood in Meigs County, Tennessee. Owing to the stringency of the financial
circumstances of his parents in his early youth he was unable to procure a rudimentary education. When twenty years old with
a brother he entered school at Decatur, Tennessee. After the first year he taught a country school and for the next eight
years he alternated between attending school and teaching school and farming until he graduated from the University of Tennessee
with a degree Bachelor of Law, after which he removed to Nocona, Texas, where he engaged in the practice of the law until
1903 when he removed to Coalgate, Indian Territory, forming a law partnership with David D. Brunson, continuing in such partnership
and actively in the practice of the law until the date of his death. Whilst residing in Nocona, Texas, he was a member of
the school board and mayor of the town. He was active in civic and community affairs and in Democratic politics and in the
movement to obtain statehood, being a delegate to practically every convention convened for the purpose of obtaining a single
state out of the two territories, and was chairman of the Democratic Committee for the Twenty-third Recording District of
Indian Territory, and as such taking an active part in the election of Democratic delegates to the Constitutional Convention.
He served as a member of the school board after statehood practically continuous until his death and was active in church
affairs, being a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and a member of the official board. In Coalgate he was city
attorney prior to and after statehood.
In Meigs County Tennessee, on January 18, 1894, he was married to Miss Minnie Powell, daughter of R. C. Powell, a farmer and
merchant. The following children were born as a result of this marriage: Joseph C., George Trewitt, Lillian and Zetta Lee.
To his wife he gave all credit for his educational accomplishments, she having warmly seconded his efforts in procuring and
completing his education. Whilst he was attending college she kept boarders and aided in the support of the family until he
was to begin his successful career as a lawyer.
He died Nov. 16, 1916, and is buried at Coalgate.
(See History of the State of Oklahoma, by Hill 1909, page 230).
ANDREW LOUIS HAUSAM
Andrew Louis Hausam, born in Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania October 19, 1866. Son of Andrew Louis Hausam, Sr., and his wife Elizabeth
Hausam, nee Tisch. Both father and mother having been born in Germany migrated to the United States about the year 1860 and
were married shortly after their arrival. His widow, Mrs. Dora Hausam, who survives him resides on the home place about one
mile west of Coweta in Wagoner County. The following children also survive: Jay Hausam, eldest son, Tulsa, Oklahoma; Louis
Hausam, Great Bend, Kansas; Homa Hausam, Coweta, Oklahoma; Okla Hausam, Coweta, Oklahoma; Dessie Hausam, a daughter died in
Bucklin, Kansas, thirteen years ago having been married to Harrold Buttolph. Andrew Louis Hausam, Jr., had the
following brothers and sister: Adam Hausam, Vicadia, California; Andrew Hausam, Coweta, Oklahoma, who died December 31, 1930;
Anne Phenis, Perry, Oklahoma; John Hausam, Hutchinson, Kansas; George Hausam, Hutchinson, Kansas, who died the latter part
of February, 1931; and Cassie Wayland, Perry, Oklahoma.
He was a successful farmer residing on a well improved 280 acre farm about one mile west of Coweta, Wagoner, County, Oklahoma,
at the time of his death and owning several other tracts in various parts of the county. He was active in Democratic politics
and civic movements pertaining to the town and community life. He was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention,
representing District No. 70. In 1907 at the erection of the state he was elected as County Commissioner in Wagoner County,
Oklahoma. In 1922 he was again elected as County Commissioner in said county.
When a youth he removed with his father from Pennsylvania to Missouri where he spent his boyhood. In 1889 he made the run
into old Oklahoma Territory, filing on a claim about four miles east of Guthrie, which he transformed by his own labor into
one of the fine farms that surround that city, and on which place he erected an attractive and comfortable home. Renting this
farm—which he still owned at the time of his death—in 1901 he came to Coweta and soon thereafter acquired the place on which
he lived at the time of his death. He at once realized the possibilities of the Arkansas Valley country in Eastern Oklahoma.
In the fall of 1906 he was elected to the National Farmers Convention at Texarkana, Arkansas, and at the succeeding convention
of said organization he was elected a member of the legislative committee. In the Constitutional Convention he served as chairman
of the Committee on Public Roads and Highways, and on six other committees. During the session of the Convention he served
as chairman of the Farmers Union Caucus, consisting of forty-six members of said convention. At the time of his death he was
chairman of the Board of County Commissioners of Wagoner County. He also served as a director of the Orphans Home at Pryor.
He was a life long and active Democrat, attending the conventions of his party and participating actively in its organization.
He was a member of the I. O. O. F. and M. W. of A. holding high positions in said orders. In 1890 he was married to Miss Dora
Phenis, to which union was born the four sons and one daughter whose names are hereinbefore set out. He died December 29,
1926 and is buried at Coweta, Oklahoma.
GEORGE A. TRICE
George A. Trice born in DeSota County, Mississippi, July 24th, 1877, son of William F. Trice and Katherine (Broadway) Trice,
the former being a native of Alabama, and during the Civil War served in the Confederate Army. In 1878 he removed with his
family to Ellis County, Texas.
George A. Trice, the oldest of a family of six children, spent his youthful days on a farm and attended the public schools
until he had reached the age of eighteen years. He had an ambition to become a lawyer and began reading law in the office
of the firm of Watson & Robbins, attorneys at Clarksville, Texas. Admitted to the bar in 1901, he entered into a partnership
with David Watson, who had previously been senior member of the firm of Watson & Robbins, and for seven years engaged actively
in the practice of law at that place.
In 1900, elected to the state Legislature of Texas, he became a prominent figure in the Texas General Assembly. It was while
he was con-
nected with that body that the Galveston plan of a charter form of government was presented, and he strongely supported same
to a successful enactment. He also served as a member of the City Council of Clarksville, Texas, for several years.
In 1904, Judge Trice was united in marriage at Vernon, Texas, with Miss Mamie Peck, who died in 1914, leaving two daughters;
Katherine and Josephine.
He was identified with the Masonic fraternity, having membership in the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandry.
In the year 1908 removing from Clarksville, Texas, to Coalgate, Oklahoma, where he actively engaged in the practice of the
law until 1927, when he moved his office to Ada, Oklahoma, there continuing in the active practice of law until his death
occurred on April 6th, 1930. While engaged in the general practice of the law he tried many important civil and famous criminal
cases. During the last eleven years of his life and until his death, he was the senior member of the firm of Trice & Davison.
While at Coalgate he was attorney for most all of the large coal mining companies in that mining district.
He was an active worker in the ranks of the Democratic Party, and in every campaign devoted much of his time and means in
its interest, at different times being a member of the State and County organizations. He several times served as a special
judge of the Supreme Court of Oklahoma and of the District Courts.
He was an able lawyer with a magnetic personality. His fidelity and integrity was never questioned. No man would do more for
his friends than he. A positive character, staunchly adhering to those principles that he thought to be right. In relieving
the suffering, poor and unfortunate he seemed to delight. Whenever he found a stray sick dog or cat he would always carry
it to his home where he would give it his personal attention during its sickness. Generous and charitable, he should be remembered
for his many kind and meritorious acts and deeds, and his frailties forgotten.
D. N. D.
MRS. REBECCA HARRIS COLBERT
Rebecca Harris, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Harris, was born October 20th, 1858, near Fayette, Missouri. Her parents
moved to Texas and settled near Sherman when she was a small girl. She attended school in Missouri and Texas. In 1870 her
parents moved to Indian Territory, what is now known as Bryan County.
On December 24th, 1874, Rebecca Harris was married to David Wall Colbert, son of Judge James Allen Colbert and Athenius M.
Colbert. Her husband was educated in Lebanon, Tennessee, and was well equipped to be of service to his people. He held many
offices of trust in the Chickasaw Nation, having served as Treasurer and Auditor of the Tribal Government. He was especially
interested in schools. He died March 16th, 1890, leaving his widow with four children. At her death June 3rd, 1931, the four
children, Mrs. Horace Marshall, Mrs. Dan Collins and C. W. Colbert of Durant, and Mrs. Charlie Green of Kansas City, Missouri,
For more than 61 years Mrs. Colbert lived in and near Colbert, Oklahoma. The last few years she made her home at Durant with
her youngest daughter. Her old colonial home west of Colbert was known as a hospitable one. It was always open to relatives
and friends and
was a general meeting place for them. Mrs. Colbert was considered one of the good Samaritans of the entire community. Her
life was one of devotion and service to others. She was an ardent member of the Baptist Church at Colbert, and one of the
charter members. It was very fitting when she passed on that the last sad rites should be held in the little church she loved
so well and had worked so faithfully for.
On that occasion the large audience and the magnificent floral offerings gave silent evidence of the esteem in which this
beloved pioneer of Bryan County was held. Her gentle manner and beautiful character and life well lived endeared her to all
who knew her.
CZARINA C. CONLAN.
Return to top
Electronic Publishing Center |
OSU Home |
Search this Site