June 21, 1929.
The called meeting of the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society, with the Building Committee and representatives of the various patriotic and civic organizations in attendance, convened in the Blue Room at the State Capitol, June 21, 1929, at 9:00 a. m., with the following members of the Board of the Historical Society present: Charles F. Colcord, President, presiding, Judge Phil D. Brewer, Judge W. A. Ledbetter, Mrs. Frank Korn, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. John R. Williams, Jasper Sipes, Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, D. W. Peery, Mrs. Emma Estill-Harbour, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, Governor W. J. Holloway, Gen. R. A. Sneed, A. N. Leecraft, J. Y. Bryce, the Secretary and Joseph B. Thoburn, the Curator; Edward P. Boyd, superintendent of the building; C. E. Dudley, chairman of the State Board of Affairs; Prof. O. B. Jacobson, instructor of art in the University of Oklahoma; Messrs. Layton, Hicks & Forsyth, the architects; Mrs. A. E. Perry, State President of the Oklahoma Society of the Daughters of 1812; Mrs. Frank Korn, President Oklahoma Memorial Association; Mrs. George Rainey, State President Oklahoma Federation of Womens Clubs; Mrs. Fred G. Neff and Mrs. Enoch Piersol, Oklahoma Chapter Daughters of American Revolution; Mrs. John J. Volz, Oklahoma Hospitality Club; Mrs. C. E. Herrick, American Legion Auxiliary; Mrs. Czarina C. Conlan, Daughters of the Confederacy; W. W. Robertson, Sons of American Revolution; C. B. Dollarhide and Charles C. Diamond, American Legion; Jasper Sipes and Mrs. John R. Williams, the 89ers.
On motion the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting was dispensed with.
The architects presented the preliminary drawings of the new building and, after inspection, the meeting was resumed and suggestions were invited from those present.
Judge R. L. Williams spoke for the Committee appointed by the Oklahoma Historical Society for the construction of the building.
Mrs. Emma Estill-Harbour moved that the plans as sub-
mitted by the architects, Layton, Hicks & Forsyth, be accepted by the Board of Directors. Motion was seconded and after discussion by Judge Williams, Prof. O. B. Jacobson, Mrs. George Rainey, and D. W. Peery, the vote was taken by roll call, the following voting in the affirmative: P. D. Brewer, D. W. Peery, Baxter Taylor, Robert L. Williams, Thomas A. Edwards, Mrs. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, Jasper Sipes, Mrs. Frank Korn, W. A. Ledbetter, Thomas H. Doyle, Mrs. John R. Williams, C. F. Colcord, R. A. Sneed, A. N. Leecraft and Governor W. J. Holloway. Motion carried.
Mrs. John R. Williams moved that if any minor changes are necessary that the Building Committee be empowered to make them without further consideration by the Board of Directors. Motion was seconded and carried, the following voting in the affirmative; P. D. Brewer, D. W. Peery, Baxter Taylor, Robert L. Williams, Mrs. Emma Estill-Harbour, Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, Jasper Sipes, Mrs. Frank Korn, W. A. Ledbetter, Thomas H. Doyle, Mrs. John R. Williams, C. F. Colcord, R. A. Sneed, A. N. Leecraft, and Gov. W . J. Holloway.
Mrs. John R. Williams moved that the act of the Building Committee be confirmed in selecting Edward P. Boyd as superintendent of the building and that the Building committee be empowered to fix his compensation. Motion was seconded and carried.
Charles F. Colcord,
J . Y. Bryce,
Pursuant to recess July 25, 1929, the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society met in the House of Representatives, Capitol, at 10:00 o’clock a. m. August 1, 1929, with the following members present: Judge Thomas H. Doyle, vice-president, presiding, Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, Mrs. Frank Lucas, Mrs. W. A. Roblin, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Judge R. L. Williams, Grant Foreman, Jasper Sipes, Judge Thomas A. Edwards, William S. Key, D. W. Peery, Judge Phil D. Brewer, W. A. Durant, Dr. J. S. Buchanan, Judge Baxter Taylor,
J. Y. Bryce, the Secretary and Joseph B. Thoburn, the Curator.
Members of the Board of Affairs, vice-chairman Woolord and McCopock, Secretary, with the architects, Hicks and Forsyth, and the supervising architect, Edw. P. Boyd, met with the members of Board of Directors Oklahoma Historical Society and opened the bids for the new building. The bids were read publicly and preparations were made to have the bids tabulated, and report made at 4:00 p. m.
The meeting recessed until 2 :00 p. m.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Vice-president
The Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Historical Society met, pursuant to adjournment, at 2:00 p. m., August 1, 1929, with the following members present: Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Vice-president, presiding, Judge R. L. Williams, D. W. Peery, Mrs. Jessie R. Moore, Judge Baxter Taylor, Mrs. Frank Lucas, William S. Key, Gen. Charles F. Barrett, Grant Foreman, W. A. Durant, Judge Phil D. Brewer, Col. A. N. Leecraft, Mrs. W. A. Roblin, Governor W. J. Holloway, Jasper Sipes, Dr. J. S. Buchanan, Joseph B. Thoburn the Curator and J. Y. Bryce, the Secretary.
The Secetary read his report, including list of applicants for membership.
Judge Taylor moved that the applicants for membership as read be accepted. Motion was seconded and carried.
Mr. O. S. Rice rendered to the Society a compiled list of homesteaders in the Cheyenne-Arapho Reservation, and Lincoln McGuire tendered to the Society a complete list of the 1890 homesteaders of Oklahoma Territory.
Judge Brewer moved that Mr. Rice and Mr. McGuire be made life members of the Society in consideration of their donations. Motion was seconded and carried.
The report of the treasurer was ordered filed.
The secretary read the minutes of the last meeting and they were approved as read with the following exception; i.e. the last paragraph should read: "Judge Doyle moved that the Board of Directors approve the site for the new building as selected and staked out by the architects, being north of 19th Street and south of 21st Street, on the east
side of Lincoln Boulevard. Motion was seconded and carried unanimously."
D. W. Peery, chairman of the committee to draft resolutions honoring Gen. Sneed on his recent election as commander-in-chief of the United Confederate Veterans was called upon and read the resolutions adopted by his committee.
Judge Williams moved that they be adopted and printed in the next issue of Chronicles, and that a copy be furnished to General Sneed. Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Williams moved that Mrs. Rella Watts, of Muskogee, be employed at a salary of $125.00 per month to compile an abridgment of the records of the Five Civilized Tribes in the office of the Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes at Muskogee, beginning work Sept. 1 under the direction of Grant Foreman.
General Barrett seconded the motion which was carried.
Judge Williams moved that the Society extend a vote of thanks to Mr. Grant Foreman for securing for the Society a transcript of the history of the service and list of individuals of the Five Civilized Tribes in the Confederate Army, compiled from the Confederate Records in the office of the Adjutant-General, Washington, D. C. which were compiled under his direction. Motion was seconded.
Mrs. Moore moved to amend by adding that a vote of thanks be extended to Mrs. Foreman for the many splendid articles she has contributed to Chronicles of Oklahoma. The amendment was accepted and the motion as amended carried unanimously.
Judge Williams moved that the Chair be made chairman of a committee consisting of three members, to confer with the State Board of Public Affairs relative to increases in salaries of the employees of the Society. Motion was seconded and carried.
Governor Holloway was called upon to address the meeting, and expressed his appreciation of the work which the Society is doing in preserving the History of this commonwealth, and gave his pledge that he stood at all times ready to help in any way possible.
Judge Williams moved that the proper officers be authorized to make requisition for the necessary typewriter stationery, cards and steel filing cases for the work to be done under the direction of Mr. Foreman, in the office of the Five Civilized Tribes, at Muskogee. Motion was seconded and carried.
The Chair appointed Judge R. L. Williams and Judge Baxter Taylor as the other two members of the committee to confer with the State Board of Affairs on increases in salaries of the employees of the Society.
Suggestions were requested as to the new building.
Colonel Leecraft moved that the Building Committee be fully authorized to proceed with the acceptance of the plans for the new building and close the contract for its erection without further reference to the Board of Directors. Motion was seconded by Mrs. Lucas and unanimously adopted.
Mr. Thoburn gave a report of his visit to Cimarron Co.
Mrs. Moore moved that the Society commend Governor Holloway for the steps he has taken to conserve archaeological remains found in the state and prevent their excavation and removal by parties outside the state Motion was seconded and carried.
Judge Thomas H. Doyle, Vice-president,
J. Y. Bryce, Secretary
REPORT OF THE TREASURER FOR THE 2D QUARTER, ENDING JULY 25, 1929.