IRVING WALLACE HART, son of Robert Hope and Margaret Irving Hart, was born in New York City, September 23, 1851. He left New York in his early boyhood and after living in many places in the West, he finally located at Woodward, Oklahoma, in 1893, where he entered the mercantile business. In 1907, He was elected as a representative from Woodward County, in the First State Legislature, where he helped to make the final arrangements for taking over from the Government Fort Supply and establishing the West Oklahoma Hospital for Insane. He was married to Mary Nancy Schell, in 1888. He is survived by one daughter, Hazel Margaret Garringer of Oklahoma City. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and was connected with several fraternal organizations of the state, which gave him a wide acquaintance. He was buried at Woodward, under the auspices of the I. O. O. F.
REQUIESCAT EN PACE
GENERAL FRANK M. CANTON, who was Adjutant General from the beginning of statehood on November 16, 1907 to August 1, 1916, was a man of unusual personality and the central figure in many lurid and exciting incidents of early day and western frontier life. Without embellishment and freed from the record doubtful and chimerical exploits attributed to him by sensation mongers, his career was a most colorful and adventurous one, and the formative years of his life were spent on those fast fading frontiers of the old West and Northwest where law and lawlessness were at constant grips.
In this fierce struggle, Frank Canton was always on the side of law and an inveterate foe of those who had transgressed the statutes, the orders of the court or of those in authority. He was the ideal frontier peace officer; tireless in pursuit, and personally brave and courageous to a fault. His reputation for coolness and a deadly aim made him a terror to evil-doers in Texas, Wyoming and the Oklahoma of early days, when as Sheriff and Deputy Marshal he rode the waste places in search of outlaws and cattle rustlers.
As Adjutant General, Frank Canton increased his prestige and reputation as a champion of the law. He had that intense loyalty and sense of duty that amounts almost to an obsession, and with few exceptions the members of the Guard, through sheer admiration for his fearless and straightforward character and his withering scorn of every moral or physical "streak of yellow," became sooner or later his strong partisans. He made no pretensions to military training, but he loved the method and efficiency of military discipline and the Guard improved under his administration.
General Canton was a firm and loyal friend, an implacable and fearless foe. He was a capable and upright officer and an efficient and worthy public servant, and if I were delegated to write his epitaph, I would put down in the language of that West of which he was a part:
"HERE LIES A MAN."
CHARLES F. BARRETT.
THOMAS CHARLES WYATT
THOMAS CHARLES WYATT was born in Humphrey County, Tennessee, fourteen miles south of Waverly, its county seat, on the 10th day of June, 1850; son of William Carroll Wyatt and Harriet O’Guin Wyatt. On account of the Civil War his educational opportunities were very limited. From 1870 to 1872 he kept a country store and then for two years was railroad station agent at Springville, Henry County, Tennessee, when he entered the medical department of the University of Tennessee to begin the study of medicine. Graduating from this department he returned to Humphrey County and practiced medicine in the community in which he was born for five years, and then discontinuing the practice of medicine he engaged in farming on his farm about three miles south of Waverly until 1900.
On October 24, 1876 he was married to Miss Ida Beach, of Franklin, Tennessee, and to this union eight children were born: Frances Harriet Wyatt (now Mrs. G. B. Dodson), William David Watt, Park Wyatt, Joseph A. Wyatt, Burke B. Wyatt, Laura L. Wyatt (now Mrs. G. M. Clardy), Watson C. Wyatt and Thos. C. Wyatt, Jr., all of whom, together with the mother, are still living.
In 1892 he was elected from Humphrey County to the lower house of the Tennessee Legislature, and in 1894 from that district to the Tennessee State Senate. In 1900 he removed to Oklahoma Territory locating in Pottawatomie County, and in 1906 was elected from District No. 33 as a member of the Constitutional Convention of this state. He was never a candidate for any other office than those enumerated and to which he was elected. During the administration of Governor C. N. Haskell he was appointed as a member of the Board of Arbitration and Conciliation and re-appointed to that position by Governor Cruce and again re-appointed by Governor Williams, serving on that board during three administrations.
On June 19, 1920, he was stricken with paralysis and died at Shawnee, Oklahoma, where he had removed some years before from his farm, on the 28th day of September, 1922. He was a member of the Christian Church and an exemplary citizen.
WILLIAM N. LITTLEJOHN
WILLIAM N. LITTLEJOHN, son of Charles P. Littlejohn and Lettie Smith Littlejohn, born in South Carolina, December 22, 1845; removed with his parents from South Carolina to Texas in his youth. Enlisted in Captain H. S. Bennett’s Company, C. S. A., in 1862 at the age of 16 years, at Paris, Texas, but sworn into service on February 26, 1862. at Camp Strickler, Arkansas. This company was the escort of General Ben McCullough until he was killed at Elkhorn Tavern. It then became a part of the 15th Texas Cavalry known as Company "G." On July 8, 1862, his enlistment expired and on July 12 he again re-enlisted in Company "G," 29th Texas Cavalry. At that time the regiment had only nine companies, its Colonel being Charles DeMorse. In 1863 he was transferred to Company "K," 29th Texas Cavalry, General Gano’s brigade. In spring of 1865 the regiment being dismounted it was placed in General Walker’s Texas Division of infantry, where he served until the last of May or first of June, 1865, when the command was disbanded by general order at Hempstead, Texas, never having surrendered. After close of the Civil War he removed to Evansville, Washington County, Arkansas, and after a short time to Flint District, Cherokee Nation. He was married twice, first to Emily Adair and second to Kate Miller, both members by blood of the Cherokee
Tribe. His first wife died April 4, 1879, and his second wife preceded him to the grave only a few years. The following children were born to him by his first wife: Sarah Lettie Powell, Charles P. Littlejohn, Nancy E. Hale, all of whom survive him; by his second wife: Mary Bell Littlejohn (daughter, died 1906), Johnsie Sparks (daughter, died March 16, 1927). He died June 6, 1927, at Gordon, Adair County, Oklahoma, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Sarah Lettie Powell, and is buried at Brushy, Sequoyah County, Oklahoma. His first marriage was at a date that entitled him to citizenship in the Cherokee Nation as an intermarried white, and he was duly enrolled as such opposite Cherokee I. W. Roll No. 195. Under the Cherokee Government he was elected District Clerk of Flint District, and later Circuit Judge of Flint, Goingsnake, Tahleduah and Illinois districts, having been a practicing attorney before the Cherokee courts. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, many years, and a Master Mason in Flint Lodge No. 11 and later in Vian Lodge No. 63, of the latter he was a member at the time of his death. During the 70’s and early 80’s he was engaged in the mercantile business at Flint Court House in Flint District. In 1895 he removed to Brushy in Sequoyah District, from which place he was elected as a delegate to the constitutional convention, District No. 78. At statehood he was elected County Judge of Sequoyah County, Oklahoma, and re-elected for a second term. At expiration of second term, on account of the infirmities of age, he retired from the activities of life and made his home with his children until his death.
ALONZO THOMAS WEST
ALONZO THOMAS WEST, son of Oscar C. West and his wife, Charity J. West, born in Fannin County, Texas, November 7, 1871; educated in the common schools and at Savoy College in said county. Admitted to the bar in the District Court at Bonham, Texas, in 1891, in which county he engaged in the practice of the law until the early part of 1897, when he removed to Indian Territory, locating at Lehigh, then a flourishing mining town in the Choctaw Nation. His father was born at Aberdeen, Mississippi, February 10, 1847, and his mother, Charity J. Gilbert at Bonham, Texas, on March 3, 1853.
Not only was he mayor of Lehigh, but at various times its city attorney. Beginning with his settlement in the new country he took an active interest in politics and civic and other public matters. He was a delegate to the joint statehood convention held at Oklahoma City on July 12, 1905, at which an organization was perfected that largely aided in securing the passage of the enabling act under which Oklahoma and Indian Territory were admitted as one state into the union. At the election for the adoption of the constitution for the new state he was elected District Judge of the Seventh Judicial District, comprising Atoka, Coal, Johnston, Pontotoc and Seminole counties. After the expiration of said term of office he engaged in the practice of the law at Coalgate. At Lehigh he engaged in the practice at first alone and later was associated with C. H. Ennis under the firm name of West & Ennis, and then with C. E. B. Cutler, under the firm name of West & Cutler, which firm was dissolved on his election to the district bench. After his retirement from the district bench at Coalgate he was associated with C. M. Threadgill under the firm name of West & Threadgill. In 1916 he removed to Ardmore to engage in the practice of the law with J. B. Moore under the firm name of Moore & West, but soon thereafter, in 1917, was appointed
by Governor Williams as a member of the Supreme Court Commission which office he held until the latter part of 1918 when he resigned, returning to Ardmore to re-engage in the practice of law under the firm name of Moore & West, which relationship continued until his death on Friday, September 16, 1927. He is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery at Ardmore. At various times both prior and subsequent to statehood he served in official party positions, at all times taking an active interest in party organization and party conventions and campaigns. In 1922 he was chairman of the Democratic Central Committee of Carter County and member of the State Central Committee.
He left surviving, a wife, Mrs. Estelle West, a daughter, Mrs. Lyle Brooks (Winnie), of Graham, Oklahoma, and his aged father, Oscar C. West. His mother, who was Charity J. Gilbert, died at Savoy, Texas, in 1880. The following brothers and sisters survive him: W. O. West, of Oklahoma City; C. O. West, Coalgate; C. C. West, Ponca City; Mrs. Myrtle Wammock, Oklahoma City; Mrs. Jesse Cook, Coalgate; Ira O. West, Panama (Canal Zone); and Mrs. Noda Brown, Anona, Texas.
The Carter County Bar Association adopted the following resolution:
"Judge West was never an office seeker, nor did he admire the palaver of the average politician. As a thinker, his mind was analytic and clear; and as an advocate, when wrought up, he was a power. Always law abiding and fair, he never insisted on a legal advantage but would meet his opponent openly, and in every instance accord him a square deal. He made but little effort for the acclamation of the public, and was choice in his selection of friends. Where he was a friend, his loyalty never waivered. He was one of the survivors of the old guard—the judiciary of 1907—who, amid diversified theories and conflicting opinions, with honest toil, hewed out the present judicial system of the great state of Oklahoma.
"Judge West was a real manly man. If he had a battle, he fought it alone; if he lost, he troubled not his friends with his lamentations; if he had a grief, he mastered it or bravely concealed it.
"But for the call of the Omnipotent Creator we would say that Oklahoma is not yet able to bear the loss of such men as Judge Alonzo Thomas West.
"He was indeed a just judge; a capable lawyer; a clean and useful citizen, and a Christian gentleman.
"Therefore, be it resolved, by this bar of Ardmore and Carter County, that we express our deep regret at the loss of Judge Alonzo T. West. That we deeply sympathize with his family; that copies of this resolution be furnished to them and to his old father and that these resolutions be spread upon the minutes of this court."
(See Daily Ardmoreite Sept. 16. 1927.)
ALEXANDER ALLAN Mc.DONALD
ALEXANDER ALLAN McDONALD, born in Jacksonville, Illinois, on September 21, 1878; died in hospital at Paris, Texas, on September 12, 1927, son of Edward L. and Louisa Ayers McDonald. Educated in the common schools and Illinois College at Jacksonville, Illinois, graduating from said college. He then entered Washington University at St. Louis, Missouri, receiving a degree, bachelor of law, in 1902. Having been with
a law firm in Seattle, Washington, for about four months and a short time connected with the legal department of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, with headquarters at Denver, in the fall of 1903 he located at Hugo in the Choctaw Nation, engaging in the practice of the law, associated with C. G. Shull, under the firm name of Shull & McDonald. After a short period Mr. Shull retired from the practice of the law to engage in the banking business, McDonald continuing in the law practice alone and succeeding Shull, who was the first City Attorney of Hugo, he becoming the second City Attorney. Later he was associated with James R. Armstrong in the practice of the law, Armstrong retiring from the firm to become District Judge and a Judge of the Criminal Court of Appeals. After the erection of the State he was associated with the late William P. Stewart, a state senator, in the practice of the law at Hugo until his death in 1915, the firm name being Stewart & McDonald, when he was associated with Calvin Jones, the firm being McDonald & Jones. After the removal of Jones to Oklahoma City he was associated with Albert W. Trice, the firm at the time of his death being McDonald & Trice.
He was a staunch Democrat, as his father and grandfather were before him, the father and grandfather having been adherents and supporters of Stephen A. Douglas. In the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory prior to statehood, and afterwards until his death, he was an active participant in party affairs and, when his health permitted, an active participant in the campaigns, having served as member of the County Central Committee and as its chairman. He was an active participant in civic and church matters and practically every movement for the betterment of society and the upbuilding of the community and new country. He was a member of the Lions Club, the Hugo Country Club, the Masonic Order and the Elks, being Past Exalted Ruler of the Hugo Elks Lodge, and had served as District Deputy Exalted Ruler. In 1926 he was State President of Phi Delta Phi, legal fraternity.
On June 23, 1904, he was married to Miss Nona Mann, who, with a daughter, Miss Mary McDonald, survive him.
On September 14, 1927, his funeral took place from the First Presbyterian Church at Hugo, attended by people from every walk of life and every race, the universal and high esteem in which he was held being thus manifested. He is buried in the Hugo cemetery.
In 1915 he was appointed by Governor Williams as Chairman of the newly created State Industrial Commission which, under his leadership was efficiently organized. After two years he resigned to re-engage in the practice of the law.
In May, 1919, upon the resignation of C. E. Dudley as District Judge for Choctaw, McCurtain and Pushmataha counties, he was appointed by Governor Robertson to succeed him as District Judge. In October of the same year he resigned to resume the practice of the law.
In 1924 he was appointed by Governor Trapp as a member of the Board of Regents of the Oklahoma State University, later becoming chairman of the board. In 1927 he was re-appointed as a member of the Board of Regents by Governor Johnston and continued in that capacity until his death, but in the early part of 1927 relinquishing the chairmanship.
As a District Judge he was able, impartial and just. As a member of the Industrial Commission he took the lead in establishing it upon a high plane for efficiency and justice. As a member of the Board of Regents of the State University he was capable and careful for the upbuild-
ing of that institution and to remove it from the field of favoritism and politics. An active worker in the First Presbyterian Church of Hugo at his death he was chairman of the board of deacons.
His grandfather, Alexander McDonald, born in 1821 at Pitkur Farm, Cooper Angus, Scotland; was, when only thirteen years old, brought in 1834 by his father, Alexander McDonald, to Jacksonville, Illinois, where the latter had purchased from the United States Government a tract of land of 1728 acres at a dollar and a quarter an acre.
His paternal, great grandmother Helen Stirton was also Scotch. His paternal grandmother, Mary Louise Israel, was born in Maryland. His mother, Louisa Wyeth Ayers, was the daughter of Marshall Paul Ayers, a banker of Jacksonville, and Laura Allan, whose father, Rev. John Allan, founded the First Presbyterian Church at Huntsville, Alabama.
The name Allan is connected with the City of Stirling, Scotland, which took a leading part in Scottish history and with which the name of Bruce is so prominently associated, as well as that of Douglas and Wallace, the bridge opposite the Wallace monument on the top of the wooded crags nearby being known as the Bridge of Allan.
JACOB BERGEN FURRY