Chronicles of Oklahoma

Skip Navigation

Electronic Publishing Center
Oklahoma Historical Society
Chronicles Homepage
Search all Volumes
Copyright 2001
Purchase an Issue

Table of Contents Index Volume List Search All Volumes Home

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 5, No. 2
June, 1927
NECROLOGY

Page 259

Capt. Ed Nowland, a veteran steamboatman, died at his home in Memphis, Tennessee, on the 20th of April, aged eighty-five years. He was born at Fort Smith. His father was K W. B. Nowland, who was post sutler or military storekeeper at Fort Gibson, from 1829 to 1840, having received his appointment as such through President Andrew Jackson, who was his warm personal friend. President Jackson also appointed him postmaster at Fort Gibson, in 1832. Ed Nowland began his steamboat training when but nine years old, as a cabin boy on a packet that ran the Arkansas River under the, command of his brother, Capt. Will Nowland. The latter was a native of Fort Gibson. Both served in the Confederate army during the War between the States. Capt. Will Nowland was killed on the Mississippi, below Memphis, by the explosion of a boiler on his boat, in 1870. Capt. Ed Nowland continued to operate steamboats on the Arkansas River, when the stage of water would permit, as far as Fort Gibson, until the building of the first railroads into the Indian Territory, in 1871-2, led to the decline of river navigation on the Arkansas above Fort Smith, after which he operated boats between Memphis and Little Rock. He was reputed to have navigated the Arkansas longer than any other boatman that ever ran that stream and it may well be doubted if there were many who ran the Mississippi whose years of river service exceeded his. In his old age after he had retired from life's activities, when he visited Fort Smith, he was wont each day, rain or shine, calm or storm, to go down and take a look at the old river, the glories of whose days of navigation had departed, but the memories of the associations and incidents of which ever held a haunting fascination for him. His body was laid to rest in the Oak Cemetery, at Fort Smith.

John P. Hickam, son of Robert H. and Jane Clemmons Hickam, was born at Hot Springs, North Carolina, December 2, 1870, and died at Stillwater, Oklahoma, February 24, 1927. He moved with his parents to East Tennessee where he received his collegiate education, afterwards reading law and was admitted to the bar in Tennessee in 1896. He came to Oklahoma Territory, in 1897, locating at Perkins, Oklahoma, where he served as superintendent of the Perkins schools for four years. In 1902 and again in 1904 he was elected to the Territorial Senate. He owned and published the Perkins Journal for eight years, advocating single statehood. In 1911 he entered the practice of law, also served as district judge for Payne and Logan counties 1916 to 1919. The progressive party nominated him for governor in 1914. He was a Mason, a Member of the Baptist church, an active Sunday school worker and in 1926 made a trip to the Holy Land in connection with a plan of Bible study.

William H. Angell was born in Dubuque, Iowa December 18, 1858, died in Muskogee March 27, 1927. Choosing the law as a profession, he secured his legal education by studying in a law office, in New York. Later he moved to Minnesota where he served as executive clerk under six administrations. In 1899 he moved to Muskogee, Indian Territory

Page 260

and entered the service of the Dawes Commission in appraising the land for the allotment of millions of acres to the Indians. In 1902 he was put in charge of the land office at Atoka when lands were allotted to the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes. In 1906 he moved back to Muskogee and served as chief of the Land Division in the Indian office of the Five Civilized Tribes until 1925. He married Mary Elizabeth Bradley, who with their five children survive him. They are James B. of Chicago, William T. and Nelson D. of St. Paul, Minnesota, Mrs. Ralph M. Durran of Pittsfield, Massachusetts and Mrs. Caroline E. Beall of Muskogee, Oklahoma. He was a Mason and an Elk, also ,a member of the Grace Episcopal Church of Muskogee, Oklahoma.

Judge Jessee M. Hatchett was born December 27, 1874, at Schulenberg, Texas, and died at Durant April 2, 1926. He was a son of John M. and Sarah E. Hatchett, was educated in the University of Texas, graduating from the law department in 1896. He immediately moved to Davis, Indian Territory and two years later moved to, Durant where he continued to reside until his death. He was married to Meta Yarbrough who with their three children, Ruth, Paul and Mary survive him. He was elected to serve in the first session of the State Senate, 1907, and helped to enact laws to carry out the provisions of the Constitution, and on retiring from the Senate in 1912 became District Judge of the Sixth District in which capacity he served until 1919, at which time he retired from public service to engage in private practice. He was a member of the Baptist church.

Dr. Amos Holland Culp was born at Parkersburg, West Virginia, October 23; 1860, and died March 29, 1927. He received his medical education at the Louisville (Kentucky) Medical School. He was married to Miss Lillie Warren, of Sedalia, Missouri, November 7, 1889. They moved to Beggs, Indian, Territory (now Oklahoma) in 1901 and from that time until 1920 he was Government physician fom the Nuyaka Federal Indian School and was also surgeon for the Frisco Railway Company. Doctor Culp's political career began in 1922 with his election as representative from Okmulgee county and was continued with his promotion to the senatorship from that district in 1924. He was active in helping formulate legislation for the benefit of the crippled children of the state. He was a Mason and a member of the Consistory, also a member of the Methodist church at Beggs.

photo

Judge William Nelson Greene, son of Dr. George W. and Emily Cross Greene, was born near Ripley, Mississippi October 14, 1868, died November 27, 1926. He graduated from the law department of the University of Mississippi, moving to Stephens, Arkansas, where he taught school for a number of years and also took an active part in politics, serving in the House of Representatives for two terms. 1903, to 1905, and at one time was Speaker of the House. In 1906 he moved to Fort Towsora Oklahoma, where he practiced law until appointed United States Commissioner, at Hugo, in 1922, by Federal Judge, R.L. Williams, where he served for two years, until failing health caused him to resign. He was married to Mrs. Hazel Bonner Self, in 1909, and is survived by his widow and three children, Charles Haskell, William Nelson and Pearl Frances.

Return to top


Electronic Publishing Center | OSU Home | Search this Site